U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 01:35 AM

1,230 posts, read 2,979,642 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they usually experience a long wait at a restaurant in order to be seated. I have read how the Cary/Raleigh area is getting overcrowded. My wife and I usually have to wait a minimum of 30 minutes to be seated at local restaurants here in Miami. We are considering a move but wonder if it's going to basically be the same. I was telling her tonight that it couldn't be that bad in Raleigh/Cary. We usually dine or go to the movies early because of the crowds and the bad element. While visiting Asheville last year we went to a movie and then to Chili's at about 8:00 p.m. and walked right in. We were very impressed. Any feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2007, 06:01 AM

9,577 posts, read 27,302,003 times
I think it depends on where and when you go. Many of the chain places Chilis, Olive Garden, Johny Carino's usually have 20-30 minute waits on friday and saturday nights during the peak time 6-7:30. But othertimes you get get right in. Some locations should be avoided like those chain restaurants located adjacent to Big Malls that have large crowds. One time we tried to got to PF Chang's in Crabtree Valley Mall on a Saturday night and they told us it would be a 2 hour wait! I also try to frequent locally owned independent establishments here in the triangle and the more popular ones can also have short waits and some of the really hot spots ie (Hayes Barton) can have a bit longer again depending on when you are trying. In general I don't find the waits or overcrowdedness to be any better or worse than other places I have lived, (Jersey Shore, Richmond,VA, and Long Island). Actually in Richmond I was convinced that people did not have kitchens in their homes because everone seemed to eat out! But really, I have found my experience to be the same no matter where I am. There are tons of great places to eat so I think you will usually have success finding a nice place to eat on a Friday night without waiting or without having to resort to take-out or fast-food type places.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:19 AM

2,834 posts, read 11,092,973 times
My sister just moved here from New Hampshire and she said the wait is far less here then they were used to.........that being said, on the weekends you can wait 45 minutes........many people will not because they are trying to go out with their kids, etc.

The most crowded times are the weekend nights, but my guess is the crowds will be much less here.

Leigh

Old 01-13-2007, 10:16 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,440,488 times
if you go at 8 you will probably be ok! On Long Island that was not considered late, even with kids, b/c of all the commuters, but in Raleigh it is late for dinner, so if you go to a family frienly place you will breeze right in. Also ther are truly LOTS of independent places as the prior poster said, and they are fun & interesting, with much shorter waits. Restaruants seem dead midweek, again I credit the lack of huge commutes, so families seem to have mroe energy to cook!

Old 01-13-2007, 11:17 AM

1,880 posts, read 6,978,736 times
Compared to CA the wait is nothing. We have waited 3 times total since moving here at a resturant. 1 time at Olive Garden we waited about 30 minutes. Once at Red Robin in Apex about 15 minutes. Then we went to Outback where we were told the wait would be 45 minutes or more. We walked across the street and ate at Lonestar where they had no wait. IN CA we would always wait an hour or more to be seated and it seemed like no matter what time you went that was the case!

Old 01-13-2007, 05:30 PM

20 posts, read 42,662 times
Default Restaurant Waits

Well, I visited Cary in May of 06 to get a feel for the area. I am used to waiting 1 to 1 1/2 hrs to get into Outback or Flannigans in Kendall, but we walked into Carrabas at 7:45 on a Saturday & sat right down in Cary. Had lunch on Sunday at 12:30 at Fridays in Cary & again seated right away. No comparison to Miami!!

Old 01-13-2007, 06:20 PM

1,531 posts, read 6,888,516 times
One, I avoid chains like the plague. (Ditto on places next to malls.)
Two, if it's a Friday or Saturday night and it's a really good place, I usually get a reservation. (Or plan to get smashed in the bar beforehand. )
Three, if I know of a little out-of-the-way place that hasn't blipped much on everyone else's radar, I take advantage of that.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:14 PM

1,230 posts, read 2,979,642 times
Thank you all very much. Miami is packed with restaurants, but no matter which one you go to, there is always a wait. Peak hours are from 5:00p.m. to 9:00 p.m. It's very hard to make a move once you have rooted yourself in a place all of your life. I wonder if Raleigh will be in the same boat within the next ten years. My kids are three and seven. I tell my wife that the more that we wait, the worse it will be for everyone. Even though it's a different topic, has anyone move from a place with their wife and kids that they have been all of their life? If so, how hard was it to adjust?

Thanks again for all your feedback.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:27 PM

50 posts, read 182,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
One, I avoid chains like the plague. (Ditto on places next to malls.)
Two, if it's a Friday or Saturday night and it's a really good place, I usually get a reservation. (Or plan to get smashed in the bar beforehand. )
Three, if I know of a little out-of-the-way place that hasn't blipped much on everyone else's radar, I take advantage of that.
You may not want to tell me, since the last thing you want is your favorite restaurants overcrowded, but if you would PM me with some of your local favorites I'd appreciate it. Hey, it's worth a try! I'm getting tired of Chili's.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:52 PM

12,093 posts, read 28,684,674 times
Want to get into PF Chang's on the weekend? They take reservations!

How about The Cheesecake Factory on a Saturday night?

Here is what we do...

Hit the mall around 4:30 or 5. Go to Chang's or Cheesecake Factory and sign up. They'll tell you the wait is between 1.5 or 2 hours. SHOP! By the time you are done shopping, its time for dinner!!!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary