Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 11:33 AM

6 posts, read 18,720 times

Advertisements

We are currently living in Kansas City and are relocating to the Raleigh area in late Aug/Sept. A golf community is a must for my husband. We have a two year old so I would like an area close to activities for him. We are active and love to be outdoors.

Any thoughts on the Lochmere neighborhood? Brier Creek? We are probably looking for a townhome for a few years so we don't have to worry about lawn maintenance.

I have heard the Lochmere school district isn't the best.

We love Wakefield but I think it is too far from work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 11:50 AM

488 posts, read 1,554,730 times
Do you plan to get a full membership to the club where you live? Where will you and your husband be working?

Old 06-24-2008, 11:58 AM

6 posts, read 18,720 times
Good point, I hadn't thought of that. We probably wouldn't get a membership to Brier Creek because I think you have to get invited. But, could get one to Lochmere.

My company has an office in Regency Park and my husband will be in school at State and working in RTP. Do you know how the commute to RTP is from Lochmere?

I am worried at Brier Creek because there doesn't seem to be a lot of trees and vegetation. But, I think the school district is much better than Dillard. But, Brier Creek seems to be closer to everything.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:27 PM

488 posts, read 1,554,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adncsu1 View Post
Good point, I hadn't thought of that. We probably wouldn't get a membership to Brier Creek because I think you have to get invited. But, could get one to Lochmere.
You can join Brier Creek. The initiation fee is $28500 for residents + $365 monthly + the monthly dining minimums. Lochmere is $3000 initiation + $218 a month. I do not believe that you have a monthly dining minimums at Lochmere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adncsu1 View Post
Do you know how the commute to RTP is from Lochmere?
We had looked at Lochmere when we first moved to the area. We were renting in Cary and had planned to stay there but the commute was honest and truly worse than our commute to Wake Forest. It's just a really congested area..IMO. Others may disagree but I think that your commute from Wakefield would be better than Lochmere.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:08 PM

66 posts, read 337,261 times
Just a suggestion... you might want to expand your search to other non-golf neighborhoods to meet your other criteria first (and join a local golf club). For example two areas more in the middle of your jobs (RTP and Regency Park in Cary) could be Carpenter Village in Morrisville and Cary Park in NW Cary. They would be more of the mid-way point for you both. Both of those have the schools you are looking for and better commute. They both are large communities with good pools and activities for your child. CV is withing walking distance of a new library and elem. school. Hopefully someone who lives in CV can fill you in on townhouses. CP has a new elem. school within walking distance opening next month, a 2mi paved trail around a lake, and several townhouse options. Good luck in your search!

Old 06-24-2008, 02:12 PM

114 posts, read 373,275 times
Why not look in the Preston area (maybe the higher fees?)? It's between RTP and Regency, is a very desirable area and there is a golf course right there. I live just across the road and commute to the Regency Park area everyday and it takes only 15 minutes max. Plus it's an easy shot to RTP. And the schools are (arguably) better than Lochmere.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:40 PM

250 posts, read 1,245,857 times
Prestonwood is quite pricey. I think $48K initiation and around $400 monthly for the golf. The upside--no dining minimums. You also have access to the tennis, pool and fitness facilities with the golf membership.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:46 PM

188 posts, read 748,346 times
I think you could get into Brier Creek for less than posted above. It is a good (mostly)private country club. The golf course is great, but the country club and amenities are not in the same league as some of the other private clubs in the area.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:48 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,184 times
Preston is a very easy commute to RTP. Schools are great. And, from what I hear, the golf is great (but expensive to join). There are a couple of town home areas. I remember touring one of the town home Open Houses across from Stonewood Grille awhile back and was impressed.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:55 PM
mek

1 posts, read 4,476 times
Hello, I have lived in the Cary area for the past 14 years and I am also a realtor. My husband's job relocated us here from northern Virginia. It looks like you are getting lots of great advice and options as to where to look. Moderator cut: TOS violation There are lots of pool/tennis communities on the north side of Cary that you might like if you are willing to join a golf club separately.

Last edited by autumngal; 06-24-2008 at 05:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary