U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2008, 08:28 AM

15 posts, read 40,638 times

Advertisements

Blog posts are fine; I've been a devotee of ED for the last year and a half. Also, if anyone knows of any other Durhamcentric blogs (The Bull in Full, Nicomachus.net, Eat at Joe's!) that consistently feature Durham- especially during the span this thread highlights, by all means share!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 08:48 AM
9/9

383 posts, read 498,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy B. View Post
Blog posts are fine; I've been a devotee of ED for the last year and a half. Also, if anyone knows of any other Durhamcentric blogs (The Bull in Full, Nicomachus.net, Eat at Joe's!) that consistently feature Durham- especially during the span this thread highlights, by all means share!
Well, at least for a while, posting links to blogs here was a violation of the TOS and would get the post edited or deleted by a mod. I don't know if that has changed, though.

The major Durham blog, at least for me, is Bull City Rising (maintained by the lately, and sadly, rarely posting member here by the same name). His blogroll on his site covers most of the Durham blogs I read daily (the biggest one that you did not already mention is Carpe Durham.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:59 AM

1,887 posts, read 5,476,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9/9 View Post
Are we allowed to post blogs here? Those of you that enjoy learning about (or just remembering) Durham's past would enjoy the site called Endangered Durham. A google search should find it.
I totally agree with you, that blog is awesome.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9/9 View Post
Well, at least for a while, posting links to blogs here was a violation of the TOS and would get the post edited or deleted by a mod. I don't know if that has changed, though.
Whoops, I didn't know that. But mentioning the blog should certainly not be a problem... Does anyone know of any blogs other than the ONDNA (Old North Durham Neighborhood Association, I think), that feature that area? I'd love to know what Duke Park looks like these days.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:39 AM

60 posts, read 194,769 times
Default Darryls

We used to go in there late night to wind down after working a busy shift at Lone Star in the early part of '90s. Enjoyed Darryls, to bad they tore it down at such a busy intersection. Now a local realtor is selling the land. Businesses seem to fold at quite a few busy intersections in Durham; i.e. Cattleman's at Hillsborough Rd. and 15-501, previously Burger King, as well as another Burger King at Guess and Horton Rds., and how about the Pizza Huts around Durham closing, for example Guess and I-85, and the one near the K-mart on Avondale, and one on Main St. near Brightleaf Square.
Wheels was a lot of fun, too bad kids in Durham don't have many options like that nowadays for good clean fun. The Northgate barbershop, fixing to move again, was over there where the Bank of America is now, my first haircut in Durham.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:23 PM

I saw a post at ED about Main Street and noticed that the Pizza Hut that knew me by name- has been gone for a while. What's the story- is the chain scaling back?

As far as hangouts in South Durham- I remember there being a Damon's in the Shannon Road shoppingcenter across from the old SouthSquare. Anyway, the Ox & Rabbit on Ninth seems to be a nice place to enjoy especially now it's summer..

Old 06-25-2008, 03:12 PM

10,521 posts, read 20,569,354 times
Quote:
Share your thoughts, fond memories and recollections of the City of Medicine ...during the 80's and 90's
Wow, I must be OLD if the 90s now count as "nostalgia"!!

But, I can play, in that case, since I went to UNC in the early 80s and spent some time in Durham then.

When you mention "the other Darrell's", do you mean the one on the corner of Garrett Rd and 15-501? That one was hugely popular and I don't know why it closed.

I remember when the bus station was on the east part of downtown instead of where it is now; we sponsored a foreign exchange student in 1979 and had to go pick him up there (they had bussed them up from Atlanta, where the planes landed from France, I think).

Remember when the "Heart of Durham" hotel was actually a nice place?

And of course 42nd Street/The Power Company, which for a decade was the best (gay) dance club between DC and Atlanta--before it went downhill and people started getting shot in the parking lot. Now it's a t*tty bar, how ironic...

Old 06-25-2008, 04:11 PM

2,270 posts, read 8,546,917 times
I remember when everyone was horrified by the building of the big green ... tower ... officially called University Tower.

I still think of Satisfaction Pizza at Brightleaf as Satisfaction's "new" location ... and I miss the old one.

We used to go to Durham a lot when I was a kid to go to The Book Exchange, and last time I was in there it looked Exactly The Same.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Wow, I must be OLD if the 90s now count as "nostalgia"!!

Remember when the "Heart of Durham" hotel was actually a nice place?

And of course 42nd Street/The Power Company, which for a decade was the best (gay) dance club between DC and Atlanta--before it went downhill and people started getting shot in the parking lot. Now it's a t*tty bar, how ironic...
Okay, I was going to mention my dancing days at The Power Company and working at Main Street Cafe next door, but I thought that would have been to 'old skool' for most- 1990 was 18 years ago- but since you brought it up..

I thought Power Co. had closed- it was here I went to my first rave and danced all night with friends from high school. Misspent youth...

Old 06-25-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
I remember when everyone was horrified by the building of the big green ... tower ... officially called University Tower.
Or as my friends called it, the "Leaning Green Weinie?"

I miss when Satisfaction was at Lakewood, too. Although it's a nice addition to Brightleaf, that signalled the beginning of the end for the shopping center there at that time. It was great to be able to see a movie and grab a pizza (while the Center was still open).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary