U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 06:00 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,536,057 times

Advertisements

Just a quick thanks to the folks who mentioned my blog (and Durham's other great sites -- Endangered Durham is a real treasure in particular.) The Durham blogosphere is alive and doing very well! I do still come to C-D from time to time but post far less, as the blog can take 1-3+ hours a day and there's just no time left over between the site and a job.

Incidentally, Barry (who blogs at Durham-focused blog Dependable Erection) and I also are hosting a Durham news/talk radio show on Sunday nights on WXDU, the Duke Univ. radio station if anyone's interested in hearing more about some of the topics that get covered in the local blog scene. (The podcast version is also available by searching for "Shooting the Bull" on iTunes' Music Store.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 06:18 PM

50 posts, read 141,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Wow, I must be OLD if the 90s now count as "nostalgia"!!
I dunno... VH1 is already doing "I love the millennium, and that hasn't even ended yet. So, we've already nostalgia for the present. Plus, it is easy to forget that the 90s is further away than you might recall. Keep in mind that someone born in 1990 is entering college this fall!

As for my own nostalgia, I've found it really interesting that a lot of the things I used to do in Durham in the 1990s, I can still do. I moved away in 1999 and just came back a few months ago. But, I can still go to Elmos. I can still take in ADF. I can still go to Satisfaction. I can still root for UNC over Duke. ha ha.

So, it feels like value added for me. I can do a lot of the things I used to do, but now I can do even more (Life and Science, new Bulls stadium, etc).

Old 06-25-2008, 06:39 PM

8,582 posts, read 14,476,073 times
Anyone remember actually walking out to your plane at RDU??
Worked my way through college at Nance Seafood and Oyster Bar
on Moreene Rd.
High School days at the Ivy Room . The contest to name the addition
that ended with "no name pub" I think I am remembering that right but
feel free to correct me.

Okay I know this is the 60's to 80's but it is irresistable

Old 06-25-2008, 06:59 PM

847 posts, read 3,319,886 times
Getting an Orange Julius at South Square Mall on a crowded Saturday night.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:26 PM

2,270 posts, read 8,565,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balboafest View Post
I dunno... VH1 is already doing "I love the millennium, and that hasn't even ended yet. So, we've already nostalgia for the present. Plus, it is easy to forget that the 90s is further away than you might recall. Keep in mind that someone born in 1990 is entering college this fall!

As for my own nostalgia, I've found it really interesting that a lot of the things I used to do in Durham in the 1990s, I can still do. I moved away in 1999 and just came back a few months ago. But, I can still go to Elmos. I can still take in ADF. I can still go to Satisfaction. I can still root for UNC over Duke. ha ha.

So, it feels like value added for me. I can do a lot of the things I used to do, but now I can do even more (Life and Science, new Bulls stadium, etc).
Now what I like about Life & Science is that it has exactly the same space exhibits that it had in the 70s when I was a kid. OK, they were in the squat brick buildings across the street then, but other than that it is the same stuff. Life & Science is bigger than it was in the 90s, but it was definitely there!!!

Old 06-25-2008, 07:33 PM

11 posts, read 27,377 times
Anyone else miss BREAD & KEBAB (under the original ownership, before the bread oven broke?) YUM

Is Bull City Wings still around?

Old 06-25-2008, 09:41 PM

15 posts, read 40,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welovedurham View Post
Getting an Orange Julius at South Square Mall on a crowded Saturday night.
OMG! Thank you for mentioning that; I thought I was the only one!! That, wasting money at Tilt, walking the upper structure in endless circles and seeing movies at SSQ's movie theater occupied many a Saturday afternoon!

Oh, and BCR? Thanks for the heads-up on your podcast- there's been a real dearth of Durham related offers on the iTunes...

While we're reminiscing, does anyone have any old pics they'd like to dig up for show? That would be a real treat to see...

Old 06-25-2008, 09:50 PM

8,582 posts, read 14,476,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
Now what I like about Life & Science is that it has exactly the same space exhibits that it had in the 70s when I was a kid. OK, they were in the squat brick buildings across the street then, but other than that it is the same stuff. Life & Science is bigger than it was in the 90s, but it was definitely there!!!
If you were there in the 70's do you remember the deer they had??

Old 06-25-2008, 10:43 PM

15 posts, read 40,877 times
Does anyone know whatever happened to Main Street Cafe downtown? It was a great place that had great food..

Old 06-26-2008, 12:35 PM

60 posts, read 195,434 times
Thanks welovedurham. I second the Orange Julius. But since I worked across the street from South Square, it wasn't only a Saturday night treat. They now have one at Northgate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary