U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 05:28 PM

847 posts, read 3,313,262 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the heads up about OJs, Matt!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 12:56 PM

10,519 posts, read 20,560,500 times
Quote:
I thought Power Co. had closed- it was here I went to my first rave and danced all night with friends from high school. Misspent youth...
It did close, around 2001, after the crowd gradually changed from gay to "urban" and people got shot in the parking lot. What I meant was, the LOCATION of the bar is now a "Gentlemen's Club", which is very ironic considering it used to be one of the more iconic gay clubs in the Southeast. I'm tempted to go sometime just to see how much of the inner architecture is recognizable

Old 06-30-2008, 09:05 AM

15 posts, read 40,611 times
Wow. That really was a great club with a great space. If you do happen by the place, let me know if it looks anything the same inside..

Old 08-03-2008, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 8,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Wow, I must be OLD if the 90s now count as "nostalgia"!!

But, I can play, in that case, since I went to UNC in the early 80s and spent some time in Durham then.

When you mention "the other Darrell's", do you mean the one on the corner of Garrett Rd and 15-501? That one was hugely popular and I don't know why it closed.

I remember when the bus station was on the east part of downtown instead of where it is now; we sponsored a foreign exchange student in 1979 and had to go pick him up there (they had bussed them up from Atlanta, where the planes landed from France, I think).

Remember when the "Heart of Durham" hotel was actually a nice place?

And of course 42nd Street/The Power Company, which for a decade was the best (gay) dance club between DC and Atlanta--before it went downhill and people started getting shot in the parking lot. Now it's a t*tty bar, how ironic...
Kinda random question. There was a hip-hop dance show filmed at Power Company, shown on local TV station, around 1990. Know anything about that?

Old 08-04-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Kinda random question. There was a hip-hop dance show filmed at Power Company, shown on local TV station, around 1990. Know anything about that?
I do remember stumbling past some sort of show like that, with what looked like 10-year-old girls dancing to Hip-Hop? Don't know much more than that, though.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 8,071 times
I use to go to Power Company in the late 80's before I was legal. I would use my best friend's ID to get in. Otherwise, I was there every "chicken" night for under-agers.

In the early 90s, I use to dance on that hip-hop TV show filmed at the Power Company. It was called Electric Factory. I loved Power Company. Many good memories there. And a couple I can't talk about.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 7,939 times
Default A Real Legend

Hi,

I am Jeff Inman, I was the Dee-Jay Wednesday through Sunday from late 1984 to Late 1988. (and yes i had a mullet cut) To those of you whom never attended during its hay day,the power company was a gay force. It was Grand period, packed with the who's who. Club owners form the eastern seaboard would visit , famous for its people and size. The building was a Kress dept store in a former life. Lady had and upper level, main level, two raised levels on the main floor and a Lower level. the lower lever was larger than 98% of the clubs in NC and don't for get the famous Dressing rooms on the 3 floor. (Don't ask Don't tell) My best memories were meeting Sylvester and those new years and Halloween nights. Oh and can we talk about the music, the period produced thousands of dance hits, I played everything not the same beat all night. What left of the gay clubs should be ashamed. For North Carolina The Power Company and 42nd street was a big slice of grand and we were young and grand. In my travels I have found few places in 5 countries that could measure up. We should have the power company Class reunion? I am at [email]jwi919@aol.com[/email] to share stories.

Jeff Inman

Old 01-21-2010, 09:42 AM

Wow, Jeff, great to see you here! I certainly overlapped with your stay there, even though my "heyday" was a couple of years before you got there. Yeah, we still try to describe that club to folks who weren't around then, and they can't believe that Durham, NC had such an iconic dance club, (gay, no less--but of course all the good dance clubs were). I am thinking of starting a Facebook group for former 42st/Power Company folks! PM me if you want, or I'll email you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Inman View Post
Hi,

I am Jeff Inman, I was the Dee-Jay Wednesday through Sunday from late 1984 to Late 1988. (and yes i had a mullet cut) To those of you whom never attended during its hay day,the power company was a gay force. It was Grand period, packed with the who's who. Club owners form the eastern seaboard would visit , famous for its people and size. The building was a Kress dept store in a former life. Lady had and upper level, main level, two raised levels on the main floor and a Lower level. the lower lever was larger than 98% of the clubs in NC and don't for get the famous Dressing rooms on the 3 floor. (Don't ask Don't tell) My best memories were meeting Sylvester and those new years and Halloween nights. Oh and can we talk about the music, the period produced thousands of dance hits, I played everything not the same beat all night. What left of the gay clubs should be ashamed. For North Carolina The Power Company and 42nd street was a big slice of grand and we were young and grand. In my travels I have found few places in 5 countries that could measure up. We should have the power company Class reunion? I am at jwi919@aol.com to share stories.

Jeff Inman

Old 01-21-2010, 09:59 AM

8,582 posts, read 14,408,482 times
I remember when...

The huge hotel downtown was imploded(have pictures of this)
Amos and Andy Hotdogs was downtown across from Belks
Northgate was a strip mall with a theater at the end.
The Roxboro Rd/ 85 K Mart was a Riding Stable (Circle W)

Old 07-28-2010, 02:26 AM

1 posts, read 7,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
It did close, around 2001, after the crowd gradually changed from gay to "urban" and people got shot in the parking lot. What I meant was, the LOCATION of the bar is now a "Gentlemen's Club", which is very ironic considering it used to be one of the more iconic gay clubs in the Southeast. I'm tempted to go sometime just to see how much of the inner architecture is recognizable

Hey, does anyone know how I could get a copy of the videos made by WKFT 40 for the Electric Factory dance show that held its' video shoot at the Power Company from 1990 - 1992? I used to dance on the show and would love to see one of the old shows again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary