Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 12:36 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,170,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
the new stuff looks like Moderator cut: language, and
*AHEM*, I have a reputation to protect. Let me be clear, I didn't curse...I semi-cursed...by misspelling a curse word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wminscoe7 View Post
Wow, I have enjoyed reading all the memories of others which I remember several as well!! I get upset when others (like Bob on The Showgram) talk of Durham in such an awful negative way
This really makes me angry. No wonder folks who've never set foot in the city think it's a dump. I currently live in Raleigh, and some folks talk about Durham like it's Afghanistan or Iraq.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 06:40 PM

109 posts, read 168,629 times
I miss:

Ninth St. Bakery when they had the retail location on ... 9th St. Where Elmo's is now. Awesome carrot muffins.

Darryl's cappucino cake.

Spinnaker's bread pots.

Duke Surplus back when it was hidden away near East Campus

Was it a Pizza Inn near South Square, with the buffet and the dessert pizza?

Getting to the end of Hope Valley and basically being out in the woods.

I don't actually miss:

The dollar theater at Lakewood ... guess at some point it was a full price place, but not in my time.

Having to merge left to get on 501S off 85.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:31 AM

387 posts, read 1,042,732 times
Grew up in Durham, went to Jordan High in the 80's. Lowe's Grove Junior High as well. We lived in Parkwood and used to walk or bike to the library right in the neighborhood and there was a little grocery store called Shields. For a while they had a trailer set up in the parking lot that was an arcade.

I remember going to a under 21 club called Streamers on Guess Road. Also an under 21 club called The Deck (maybe that was in Raleigh?). The Pizza Hut on Guess Road was popular on Friday nights. Belk at Northgate was high-end.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:35 AM

1,730 posts, read 2,555,376 times
It's funny when we older folks here about nostalgia of the 1980's and 1990's.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:48 PM

1 posts, read 858 times
I used to dance in that show as well! I would love to get my hands on the episodes. I have most of them on vhs tape but can no longer play them on anything.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:46 AM

6,318 posts, read 5,410,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Time to brag on my parents who have passed away .
They and about 20 other people were the founding members
who started the Durham Animal Protection Society (APS)
I grew up getting to go on emergency calls with my parents in the middle of the night for all kinds of neat things.
The dog that I got last year that is hanging out on the couch with me right now....got him from Durham APS!

Thanks to your parents!

Old 09-23-2015, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Inman View Post
Hi,

I am Jeff Inman, I was the Dee-Jay Wednesday through Sunday from late 1984 to Late 1988. (and yes i had a mullet cut) To those of you whom never attended during its hay day,the power company was a gay force. It was Grand period, packed with the who's who. Club owners form the eastern seaboard would visit , famous for its people and size. The building was a Kress dept store in a former life. Lady had and upper level, main level, two raised levels on the main floor and a Lower level. the lower lever was larger than 98% of the clubs in NC and don't for get the famous Dressing rooms on the 3 floor. (Don't ask Don't tell) My best memories were meeting Sylvester and those new years and Halloween nights. Oh and can we talk about the music, the period produced thousands of dance hits, I played everything not the same beat all night. What left of the gay clubs should be ashamed. For North Carolina The Power Company and 42nd street was a big slice of grand and we were young and grand. In my travels I have found few places in 5 countries that could measure up. We should have the power company Class reunion? I am at [email]jwi919@aol.com[/email] to share stories.

Jeff Inman
I used to go there in the 90's while in college...my friends and I would drive from Greensboro. It was so much fun, wow did we dance our feet off, all the levels were great. I remember one Halloween one of my friends had never dressed in drag and decided to for Halloween. Well, two very funny things happened to us, I was dressed like a WWII soldier. When we arrived he said he had to go to the bathroom, I said ok, I'll stand here and wait. This woman out of no where walked up to me, and said I saw you with your girlfriend/wife coming in "I think it's so open minded of you to be willing to bring her to a gay bar on Halloween, do you have gay friends you're showing support too?" The exact same time she had asked me this question my friend walked out of the men's room and was pulling on his dress. The woman looked at me and didn't miss a beat, she proceeded to say "I guess it's really hard being in the military, and gay." I cracked up, I didn't know which was funnier her 'response' or her not realizing I was dressed like a WWII soldier. I said to her "Mam, I am dressed in a WWII uniform, I'm not really in the military." She then said "Well the hell with both of you your friend shouldn't look so damn much like a woman, and you shouldn't have such short hair", and walked off. IT was a bomb.
The second thing to happen the same night, we were sitting in the loft area (tables & booths), and he saw a guy he'd been friendly with.
It was a total bomb, we were both so stoned, drunk and Lord (Lawd) knows what else, and he wanted to talk with him. I remember I was so stoned, but I still knew the guy didn't recognize him, and I kept telling him. He said it ten times if he said it once, "I know he recognizes me".
My friend had forgotten he was dressed in drag and told me to go downstairs and wait for him. I said whatever...I'm going and find someone to dance with me.
Well, he walked over to the guy's table spoke to him, the guy said according to my friend "Who the hell are you, and why do you keep waving at me? My friend said he could have died, it had finally dawned on him he was dressed in drag. So he told the guy he was mistaken because he didn't have his glasses and apologized (he didn't wear glasses).
Once he finally decided to come down the steps, (the ones with two landings), he made it to the first landing and fell the rest of the way down the steps. The guy I was dancing with asked if I were going over, and help him up. I said, "Are you crazy, I don't want all those people to know I'm with him. Wow, was I a great friend ... he wasn't hurt, he managed to pull himself up with some assistance, and proceeded to fix his dress. It was so funny, I almost died.
We had so many good times there...
You know I moved Richmond, Va from Greensboro quite a while ago, and I have 'NEVER' had the fun here I used to have there. People here have always been so cliquish...Don't misunderstand we have our clicks everywhere in the community. However, the people here are very different. They're just not as friendly, and if you don't have ancestors that landed in Jamestown (which I do) a mere accident I found this out. You really don't count here, I've had so many more people want to be my friend now knowing I had ancestors to land in Jamestown than I ever did in the many years prior to that.
People in Greensboro, Charlotte, Durham, Raleigh and Washington, DC actually are so much nicer and are willing to talk to you. It's quite refreshing to come for a visit.
I do have to admit I've had some really great times in DC, and they were quite crazy. Richmond is only 1 1/2 hours from DC, and it makes living here tolerable.
Well, enough of my story...I just wanted to tell someone about the fun times I had at Power Company. I hope someone gets some fun out of reading my experience.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:39 AM

8,583 posts, read 15,955,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
The dog that I got last year that is hanging out on the couch with me right now....got him from Durham APS!

Thanks to your parents!
That means a lot !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary