U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 05:08 PM

15 posts, read 40,613 times

Advertisements

Live in Durham? Lived in Durham?

Share your thoughts, fond memories and recollections of the City of Medicine (and one-time Diet Capital of the World) during the 80's and 90's- the era of SouthSquare, 'Bull Durham', Jimmy V, the renovation of the downtown and the suburban housing boom.

Share your stories and take a fond look back on the Bull City!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 05:36 PM

8,582 posts, read 14,410,311 times
Does anyone remember shopping at Belk's downtown and going
across the street for a Andy's hotdog???
Probably the 70's.

I kept my first horse at a stable that was right off I- 85 on Roxboro Rd where the
KMart is now (if they haven't put something else there)

My dad worked at Northgate when it was just a strip mall from the Grocery Store to
a theater on the end. The ice creme shop & shoe shop were across the parking lot in a separate
building. Then they built another strip that made an L.

Last edited by kelly237; 06-24-2008 at 05:45 PM..

Old 06-24-2008, 05:46 PM

My mom and dad remember Chapel Hill Blvd being a dirt road between
Durham and Chapel Hill !!

Old 06-24-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Does anyone remember shopping at Belk's downtown and going
across the street for a Andy's hotdog???
Probably the 70's.

My dad worked at Northgate when it was just a strip mall from the Grocery Store to a theater on the end. The ice creme shop & shoe shop were across the parking lot in a separate
building. Then they built another strip that made an L.
I saw a picture of Belk downtown on the ED site, Andy's was a tad before my time. However, I can vividly recall Northgate before and after it became more popular with the '"L" expansion.

I spent many weeks of allowance at the arcade and at Hungate's Hobby Shop (as a kid, I was an amalgam of cool and geek). Can't forget the Food Court - and having to wander across the Mall for the after thought constructed Chik-Fil-A.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:45 PM

36 posts, read 122,525 times
I'm not saying I did this but there was a time when driving up and down Guess Road and riding through the Hardees (which is no longer there) was the thing to do at night for the young people (I'm talking 1980's)

I remember when there was a Big Star grocery store at Northgate Mall and when Wheels Skating rink was another popular hang out for the kids when it was off Roxboro Road/Infinity Rd. I think it is now a Salvation Army store.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy B. View Post
I spent many weeks of allowance at the arcade and at Hungate's Hobby Shop (as a kid, I was an amalgam of cool and geek). Can't forget the Food Court - and having to wander across the Mall for the after thought constructed Chik-Fil-A.
I loved to watch the hamsters at the back of the Roses store
at Nothgate when we went there. I also remember the soda shop in the drug store there.

We went to McDonald's for lunch from the stable and took $1.
That bought us 2 cheeseburgers/fries /and a drink!!

Old 06-24-2008, 07:09 PM

Time to brag on my parents who have passed away .
They and about 20 other people were the founding members
who started the Durham Animal Protection Society (APS)
I grew up getting to go on emergency calls with my parents in the middle of the night for all kinds of neat things.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:44 PM

I remember when there was a Big Star grocery store at Northgate Mall and when Wheels Skating rink was another popular hang out for the kids when it was off Roxboro Road/Infinity Rd. I think it is now a Salvation Army store.[/quote]

Wow, I used to skate at Wheels every Friday after school!

Does anyone remember Darryl's restaurant out past SouthSqaure off Shannon Road?

Old 06-24-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy B. View Post
Does anyone remember Darryl's restaurant out past SouthSqaure off Shannon Road?
I loved that restuarant!! Greatest salad bar and homemade crackers.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:41 AM
9/9

383 posts, read 498,504 times
Are we allowed to post blogs here? Those of you that enjoy learning about (or just remembering) Durham's past would enjoy the site called Endangered Durham. A google search should find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary