Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 05:57 PM

3 posts, read 8,032 times

Advertisements

Hey all! Long time lurker to the forums, first time poster!

I am moving down to Wake County in the coming weeks and found a place I might be interested in moving to in Garner. However, my job places me in the Apex area. On Mapquest it shows about a 27 minute drive using the 40.

On paper this looks very doable to me, but since I don't really know the area, I was hoping someone who is familiar with the drive might be able to give me the "real" picture of that commute. I've heard the 40 is horrible, but is that only between the Raleigh-Durham stretch? Will I hit congestion that will make the drive over an hour? If anyone knows and would be willing to help me out I would really appreciate it!

- T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 06:41 PM

83 posts, read 335,598 times
It will be an awful commute. I might suggest to look in the Apex or Holly Springs area. There are plenty of affordable, nice communities to consider (whether you are looking at townhomes or single family).

Good luck!

Old 06-24-2008, 06:47 PM

I did a quick google map showing the way. It looks like I am on the 440? Does that change anything? I'm sorry for beating what might appear to be a dead horse! But I do appreciate your input! Also, what if I avoided the highways all together? It says to add only a few minutes to the commute.

Thank you all again!

Old 06-24-2008, 06:53 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Maybe it would help if you specify where in Garner you were coming from, and where in Apex you are going to. A major intersection would be fine. Maybe then I could help you with some back roads. I live a mile from the southwest border of Garner. Ten-Ten could be an option. Also Penny Rd cuts east-west.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:00 PM

Looking at intersections, lets say roughly in Garner where the 40 crosses the 70, and in Apex at North Salem and Davis Drive. How does the 70W to Tryon to the 64W (from Garner towards Apex) sound?

Thanks again for everything!

Old 06-24-2008, 07:10 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buitiful View Post
Looking at intersections, lets say roughly in Garner where the 40 crosses the 70, and in Apex at North Salem and Davis Drive. How does the 70W to Tryon to the 64W (from Garner towards Apex) sound?

To put it tenderly, trying to use Tryon Rd from 70 in Garner sounds like a sharp stick in the eye twice a day...

What is the attraction in Garner that would make that commute worthwhile?

Old 06-24-2008, 07:37 PM

21 posts, read 100,575 times
My neighbor drives from the Garner area (401/70) after dropping her child off at school to Apex (downtown area) during the workweek and she has said it takes her 30-40 minutes. I believe she goes back roads to get onto 1010. I agree with the Tryon Rd. comment that it is a congested road almost all the time but especially during work commute hours.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:13 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buitiful View Post

Another option is 70 to 50 south, to Rand Rd, to Ten Ten. Then take Ten Ten all the way across to Apex. This will add an extra 4 miles to the commute, but it may be less painful.

I can tell you that I can get from the Ten-Ten/Lake Wheeler Rd intersection all the way to Apex (Ten-Ten/S.Salem St intersection) in less than 20 minutes starting at about 6:30 am.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:17 AM

52 posts, read 200,980 times
Fuquay-Varina is another option for living. Housing in FV tends to be a bit less expensive than in Apex, but I think FV is catching up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary