Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:50 AM

57 posts, read 145,171 times

Advertisements

Ok, so we've been researching this move for about a year and a half. We were torn between Raleigh and Charlotte for a while but know the Raleigh area is where we will end up. It seems that areas just outside the city have exactly the homes and land we are looking for in our price range. Rolesville and Clayton come up a LOT. Now, there won't be a commute so I am not worried how far away from RTP we are etc. I just would really like to know what you guys think of these areas (or might recommend other areas). We have 3 small kids so yes, schools are important (we are really interested in the year round ones). I don't think we are too worried about how rural the areas are either.
Do any of you know about the Glen Laurel Community?
Also, one thing that concerns us is flooding, are there areas which we should stay away from in regards to this? I really appreciate any honest imput. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 10:59 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,982,732 times
I would honestly go with Clayton. Rolesville is nice, I dont know enough about it though to pass judgement.

I moved from Raleigh to Clayton about a year ago and I love it here! Everyone is super nice, the schools are outstanding and the cost of living is so much cheaper.

Glen Laurel is really nice! Lots of folks from Glen Laurel live there, I would do a search on the board for Glen Laurel, I'm sure some posts will come up.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:31 AM

5 posts, read 15,506 times
I couldn't disagree more about the schools in the Clayton area. They were not good and definitely not progressive. My children suffered in the education set up and actually went backwards from where they were in the Wake County Schools. Some teachers were excellent, but overall I would say they are inferior to Wake County. The principal even told us they hated us bringing our children to the school system with so much baggage. The baggage was that they were gifted children and were ahead in many areas.

The Rolesville area is an outstanding area. Schools are great and the area is much more accepting of "outsiders".

There are still lots of folks in Clayton who cannot accept folks from "out of town." My neighbor had lived in the area for 25 years, taught kindergarten at the neighborhood school and was still considered an outsider.

You need to visit the local Wal-Mart and other establishments. Watch the clerks. They are so unhappy.

Glen Laurel is a nice subdivision, but very strict in their codes....even to the point of being ridiculous.

All in all, Clayton was not a pleasant place to live. I hated the prejudice toward outsiders and race related issues. If you live in Clayton city limits you will have one of the highest electric bills in the state. Clayton buys its electricity from outside sources and passes the costs on to you. Drive by the sewage treatment plant on highway 42 headed toward I-40 from Clayton. The stench is terrible. They are at capacity.

Property taxes were lower in Johnston County than Wake County, but the electricity costs definitely offset the savings. Also, call your insurance agent. Our car insurance INCREASED when we moved from Wake County to Johnston County!! We were shocked.

Hospitals are another issue. Ask area folks what they think of Johnston Community Hospital. I won't even begin to go in to that here.

I'm sorry if I sound so negative, but we made a terrible mistake in moving to Johnston County. It affected our children and our pocket book. We moved after 11 years in Clayton and are really glad that we did.

We have several friends in the Rolesville area and they have nothing but great things to say about it. If it were me, I would move to Rolesville!

Old 06-25-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonpiano View Post
I couldn't disagree more about the schools in the Clayton area. They were not good and definitely not progressive. My children suffered in the education set up and actually went backwards from where they were in the Wake County Schools. Some teachers were excellent, but overall I would say they are inferior to Wake County. The principal even told us they hated us bringing our children to the school system with so much baggage. The baggage was that they were gifted children and were ahead in many areas.

The Rolesville area is an outstanding area. Schools are great and the area is much more accepting of "outsiders".

There are still lots of folks in Clayton who cannot accept folks from "out of town." My neighbor had lived in the area for 25 years, taught kindergarten at the neighborhood school and was still considered an outsider.

You need to visit the local Wal-Mart and other establishments. Watch the clerks. They are so unhappy.

Glen Laurel is a nice subdivision, but very strict in their codes....even to the point of being ridiculous.

All in all, Clayton was not a pleasant place to live. I hated the prejudice toward outsiders and race related issues. If you live in Clayton city limits you will have one of the highest electric bills in the state. Clayton buys its electricity from outside sources and passes the costs on to you. Drive by the sewage treatment plant on highway 42 headed toward I-40 from Clayton. The stench is terrible. They are at capacity.

Property taxes were lower in Johnston County than Wake County, but the electricity costs definitely offset the savings. Also, call your insurance agent. Our car insurance INCREASED when we moved from Wake County to Johnston County!! We were shocked.

Hospitals are another issue. Ask area folks what they think of Johnston Community Hospital. I won't even begin to go in to that here.

I'm sorry if I sound so negative, but we made a terrible mistake in moving to Johnston County. It affected our children and our pocket book. We moved after 11 years in Clayton and are really glad that we did.

We have several friends in the Rolesville area and they have nothing but great things to say about it. If it were me, I would move to Rolesville!
TROLL much????
Yeah, I'm not buying it.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:35 PM

183 posts, read 671,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonpiano View Post

I couldn't disagree with you more. At just an elementary school level, if you go to the NC Public Schools Report Card website, you'll see that almost all of the schools in the Clayton area out-perform Rolesville Elementary. Combine that with the constant re-districting in Wake County, and, well there you go.

I'm an outsider myself (to the area but not to NC), just moved to the area 4 years ago, and I've had nothing but great experiences with my neighbors, at the area restaurants, stores, etc. Most people I have encountered are very friendly, my wife has made friends in the area very quickly, and all in all, we are very happy here.

I don't know where you lived, but I don't see the race problems or social issues you see. In my cul-de-sac alone there are 3 different ethnicities, and all of our kids play together and have a great time. As far as regional prejudice goes, it's a give and take thing; if you come to the area thinking your ways are better, you're going to get the cold shoulder. If you come in with an open mind and attitude, and are respectful of others, they are respectful of you.

Traffic coming to and from Rolesville is also worse in my opinion. I think it's a nice little town but as with most growth in north Raleigh, the roads are catching up.

I'd advise the original poster to do a search on the forums and you'll see that this opinion is definitely the exception, not the rule, to opinions of the Clayton area. I'm not knocking Rolesville, don't get me wrong, I think it's a nice town and we considered moving there....but in no way, shape, or form is it heads and tales above Clayton.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_native74 View Post
I couldn't disagree with you more. At just an elementary school level, if you go to the NC Public Schools Report Card website, you'll see that almost all of the schools in the Clayton area out-perform Rolesville Elementary. Combine that with the constant re-districting in Wake County, and, well there you go.

I'm an outsider myself (to the area but not to NC), just moved to the area 4 years ago, and I've had nothing but great experiences with my neighbors, at the area restaurants, stores, etc. Most people I have encountered are very friendly, my wife has made friends in the area very quickly, and all in all, we are very happy here.

I don't know where you lived, but I don't see the race problems or social issues you see. In my cul-de-sac alone there are 3 different ethnicities, and all of our kids play together and have a great time. As far as regional prejudice goes, it's a give and take thing; if you come to the area thinking your ways are better, you're going to get the cold shoulder. If you come in with an open mind and attitude, and are respectful of others, they are respectful of you.

Traffic coming to and from Rolesville is also worse in my opinion. I think it's a nice little town but as with most growth in north Raleigh, the roads are catching up.

I'd advise the original poster to do a search on the forums and you'll see that this opinion is definitely the exception, not the rule, to opinions of the Clayton area. I'm not knocking Rolesville, don't get me wrong, I think it's a nice town and we considered moving there....but in no way, shape, or form is it heads and tales above Clayton.
I'm pretty sure that Clayton Piano person is a troll. I wouldnt take much from it.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:54 PM

5 posts, read 15,506 times
Not a troll. It was our experience. Yours may differ, but that was ours. We hated Clayton. Why would I take the time to write such a long post if that wasn't my experience. Good luck!

Old 06-25-2008, 01:58 PM

850 posts, read 3,625,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
TROLL much????
Yeah, I'm not buying it.
My thoughts exactly, Heather!

We love Clayton, have been here from NJ for 2 1/2 years and are so happy with our decision to move here. The schools are amazing, the community friendly, the land beautiful.

For the record, never had or have seen an issue with racism, being an outsider, etc..

Lauren

Old 06-25-2008, 02:04 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
I think that everyone is entitled to their opinion. I visited both places and I like both. Although, when we stopped to get something to eat in Wake Forest, an employee said we'd fit in better up there. When we visited Clayton, everyone was nice, but I noticed more people that were from there. I would live in either place. The reason I'm chosing WF above Clayton is b/c it's better for employment opportunuties in my field. The houses are less expensive in Clayton and you get more house and land for your money. Clayton is growing and they aren't too far from White Oaks which I like. Wake Forest has pretty much everything we need. I guess it's all about preference.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:43 PM

892 posts, read 3,161,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
When we visited Clayton, everyone was nice, but I noticed more people that were from there.
That is shocking really cuz Johnston County is chock full of northerners (and they keep a comin')!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary