Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 09:40 AM

50 posts, read 119,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
although i did note today that a school zone on six forks (can't remember where but it was heading south & near millbrook, i think) had a year round sign placed on it. that was the first time i've seen one that i recall.
Yea that is Green Elementary that is year round with the sign up there. All school speed signs should have that and a flashing light when the speeds are in effect in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
Thank you! I don't know why people don't learn this in drivers ed?? It baffles me sometimes how bad or uneducated people are on traffic laws around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Better safe than sorry.

Your not being safe, your breaking the law by impeding traffic by randomly stopping in the middle of a busy street for no reason. The kids know the law which is why you will NEVER see a kid get off a bus on a 4 lane road seperated by a median or a center turning lane and cross the street. The bus drivers know the law, and the police know the law.

It's the same thing as you stopping at every green light driving through the city just because you'd rather be 'safe than sorry'.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:49 AM

477 posts, read 1,418,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncosi View Post
Thank you! I don't know why people don't learn this in drivers ed?? It baffles me sometimes how bad or uneducated people are on traffic laws around here.
We all come from different states, different eras; and laws change and differ. Until recently, I was one of those that stopped when there was a median because I was unsure. My daughter, who is newly permitted, DID learn the law in driver's ed and set me straight the other day!

Old 05-30-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunomom View Post
We all come from different states, different eras; and laws change and differ.
I don't mean to be blunt, however you still should know the rules and laws of the road where ever you are if you plan on traveling them and especially if you live here now. If I moved to another state, you can bet I would scan local DMV laws or even post on this forum to ask if there was anything out of the 'norm' I should know about. Don't be another uneducated driver on the road because you chose not to learn our local laws.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:22 AM

477 posts, read 1,418,578 times
Quote:
I don't mean to be blunt, however you still should know the rules and laws of the road where ever you are if you plan on traveling them and especially if you live here now. If I moved to another state, you can bet I would scan local DMV laws or even post on this forum to ask if there was anything out of the 'norm' I should know about. Don't be another uneducated driver on the road because you chose not to learn our local laws.
You are absolutely correct - I should have known better. Just sayin' it happens to law-abiding citizens - in my case, I have lived here 20 years; area was rural when I moved in and took my test (think all 2 lane roads); years later roads are widened, medians added. I mistakenly thought that you still had to stop. Point of my post was that my daughter set me straight because she learned the law in driver's ed. So it is being taught. Maybe they should require all of us "old" people to take refresher courses, lol. Not a bad idea, really.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:31 AM

406 posts, read 787,506 times
Quote:
and the police know the law.

It's the same thing as you stopping at every green light driving through the city just because you'd rather be 'safe than sorry'.
This is not always true. I respect the Police and the job they do, however not every single one of them is always right...they are prone to human error just like the rest of us. The trouble is when they do make a mistake (as far as my limited experience goes) they are loath to admit it. I received a ticket for "passing" a school bus last year It was on a divided road I was turning left and the school bus was stopped at my 2 o'clock and after I completed the turn I was pulled over and ticketed. This is not against the law (look it up) The courts treat anyone ticketed for this "offense" harsher than virtually any other moving violation. It's actually the most points that one can get on their driving record.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:17 PM

i agree but the intelligence of police officers is a WHOLE other story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary