Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 03:06 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,042 times

Advertisements

It's not because women's blouses are smaller. It's because they are usually fitted and have darts. That's why they have to iron them by hand. I don't like the price difference either, but I sort of understand them.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:19 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Don't you own a suit? It’s kind of hard to show up to an interview, wedding, or funeral wearing just a Hawaiian shirt and Bermuda shorts.

I've heard about this dry cleaning issue before. I don't understand what is behind it.
Almost never wear fancy clothes.

Not even for burial. I'll be cremated and scattered.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:08 PM

847 posts, read 3,522,707 times
I live on the edge and wash my dry clean only clothes. If they don't make it (this is actually quite rare), they are not meant for me.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:33 AM

492 posts, read 2,107,956 times
In CA and NJ (1980s/early 1990s) I was charged the same to wash/starch/iron a women's cotton buttondown oxford cloth shirt (size 10) as a men's.

In OR, women's shirts were charged about 3x mens, and the argument was indeed that they had to be done by hand -- didn't fit the big ironing machine. Needless to say, for 12 years I didn't have shirts professionally done.

The place at HH/CPW is good. Interestingly, it is less expensive to have a shirt drycleaned/pressed there than to have it laundered/starched. The same is true of khakis!

I have not taken an oxford cloth buttondown to them yet, but they charged the the standard flat fee for my chamois cloth shirt (which is, come to think of it, a unisex size S).

Old 06-29-2008, 08:56 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Another dry cleaning $ tidbit - I brought my white labcoats in for cleaning with my regular stuff. The prices were about the same as in RI for ladies shirts and slacks. On my way home, I looked at my receipt and to my horror, saw that they charged me $11 for each labcoat!!! I used to pay $4.50. When asked about this high price, they told me they require extra attention for the stains!! I had no stains!! I think I'll go to the $1.59 place.
I brought my labcoats to the inexpensive place at HH and CPW yesterday, after refusing to pay $11 each (I used to pay $4.50 in RI). This "inexpensive place" charged $8 each! I really like having them dry cleaned because they have name/dept embroidered on them and dry cleaning saves on the wear and tear. Looks like it's back to washing them at home. Too bad because I HATE ironing....

Old 06-29-2008, 02:31 PM

6 posts, read 41,071 times
I won't go to the $1.99 (or similar) cleaners after one of them lost a special occassion linen. I was told by the owner "oh, someone probably walked off with it--it happens." Then I was pointed to the disclaimer on the back of my receipt that read the dry cleaners were only liable for up to 10% of the cost of an item. So--they lose a $100 item b/c "it happens" and I get $10 to replace it?

Old 02-18-2009, 02:37 PM

24 posts, read 83,751 times
Hmm. I own a dry cleaner, so I can discuss this from this side of the counter. On a regular day we do approximately 300 to 400 men's shirts (LAUNDERED) and we do about five women's blouses a day. The shirt machine which is made to handle size 16" through 18" neck and body costs about $40K (including install and other equipment to go along with the shirt unit). That $40K can be justfied by the amount of men's shirts done, but to buy a new machine to only do women's shirts (which is non-existent at the moment) is not justifiable when you do five women's shirts a day. I must note that this is for LAUNDERING not dry cleaning. For the five women's shirts we do to launder/starch we have to use a human being who has to be paid for their time and thus creating more cost. By the way despite what everyone believes, it takes more work to launder/starch an item versus dry cleaning an item. Its technical so I don't want to put you to sleep.

Now having said that, if your cleaner charges you extra for having a women's (dry cleaned)shirt vs. a man's (dry cleaned) shirt then that is not fair and unethical. If you want to test them, take in a man's khakis and ladies khakis and see if they charge extra for the female's. If they charge a little more for pleats and folds (a man's shirt does not usually have these things) or designs then the additional cost can be justified because each pleat should be pressed (unlike a discount cleaner who just blow steam or slam-bam press) carefully to give straight lines.

A lot of folks do not know what proper dry cleaning is such as: no seam imprints, no pocket imprints, no double creases, no creases in ladies blouses, and proper stain removal. And to be truthful, we would have to charge at least $10 a pair of pants to go over every single stich, pleats, and creases. Since most folks have accepted low to medium level of quality we reserve the highest level of cleaning to the customers who request it and who are willing to pay for it. I can assure you that we do not handle the $1500 ST. Johns knit jacket the same as some discounters (who may not even know the value of the garment).

Sorry, I rambled Back to pricing (man vs. female). I don't know about others, but we charge extra for a man's shirt that will not fit the machine as well when a neck size is bigger than 18.5" and we charge extra for boy's shirts that are too small to fit the machine.

Seriously though you should test your current cleaner to see if they do indeed charge extra for women's clothes just because they are women's clothes (make sure there are no unusual decoration, pleats, and delicate fabrics). If they do, you should talk with the owner or find another place.

Good Luck

Old 02-18-2009, 02:40 PM

91 posts, read 115,765 times
Gender bias!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton734 View Post
Our local dry cleaner charges $1.49 to wash and iron a man's button down cotton shirt. However, if I take a woman's button down cotton shirt to the same cleaner, the charge is $4.75. I even tried to clarify that I only wanted washing and iron, not dry cleaning and I was told the difference was that the woman's shirt was "smaller and harder to iron" so they charge more for the same service.

What the heck? If I brought them a smaller man's shirt would the price go up? Do all dry cleaners gouge their prices for woman's clothes?

Old 02-18-2009, 02:42 PM

91 posts, read 115,765 times
Also, did u try turning in a man's cotton shirt used by a woman? Any input on that would be highly appreciated by all...

Old 02-18-2009, 02:57 PM

28 posts, read 136,757 times
Thanks JohnKim--I've had that explained to me before, but not in that detail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary