Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 03:42 PM

4 posts, read 15,428 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience running their home security monitoring exclusively off of a cellular system? My intention is not to have a traditional telephone landline (electing instead to go with VOIP) but doing so means having to go with a cell-based home security. My concerns are for reliability and overall experience. Any insight?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 05:09 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,668 times
For anyone answering this, please answer here (not just PM). I am wondering the same thing. I'm paying for a landline which I only use for the alarm. Do I need to be doing this??

Old 02-27-2007, 06:09 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLogans View Post
Does anyone have any experience running their home security monitoring exclusively off of a cellular system? My intention is not to have a traditional telephone landline (electing instead to go with VOIP) but doing so means having to go with a cell-based home security. My concerns are for reliability and overall experience. Any insight?
Thanks.
Do they even do this? I didn't know it was even possible.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:54 PM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Do they even do this? I didn't know it was even possible.
They definitely do cell based monitoring. We just got a quote for it on our house. We also have Vonage - so landline wasn't going to work. We were quoted an additional 12 dollars a month to do cell based monitoring. We're still waiting to get quotes from some other security companies.

I'll update after we talk to some more companies. But I too would be interested in other people's experience with cell based monitoring.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:40 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,221,695 times
I guess my main concern with this would be during a bad storm, I lose my cell coverage when we have a very bad storm (tornado warning/watch with thunderstorm).

Old 03-05-2007, 06:29 PM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,332 times
Quick update to this thread.

Secur-tek, http://www.secur-tek.com/, came to our house today to give us an estimate. They said they have gotten their systems to work with Vonage - typically with very few issues. So we're considering giving them a try.

We also did some research on Alarm.com. It seems to be more the future of home security. Using analog signals over the phone line seems so old school. I'm not sure why home security systems haven't started plugging directly into your home's router and handling everything digitally. Being able to monitor your security system over the web and get email/text updates is very appealing to me. However, not all reviews of Alarm.com have been favorable. So for now - I think we'll stick with a more traditional security company and wait for the industry to adopt more Alarm.com like features in the future.

We're also having CPI, http://www.cpisecurity.com/, come out and give us an estimate later in the week.

Thoughts/experiences regarding any of these companies is appreciated.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:40 PM

745 posts, read 1,297,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLogans View Post
Thanks.
I used to sell the systems. I'm not sure what your questions are exactly. They work more like radio transmitters even though they are called "cell backup" or some variation. They are far more reliable than a land line based system, phone lines are way too easy to disable. If you have more specific questions I'd be happy to help.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 4,319 times
One of the best ways to get coverage without a landline is the Honeywell total connect system that uses a gsm module that has the option of monitoring directly over the internet, and has a back up cellular module to send signals if the internet is down. This system allows clients to arm and disarm the system from anywhere using an internet connection. For more information go to httprotectitnow.blogspot.com

Old 11-29-2008, 12:52 PM

82 posts, read 278,460 times
We've got CPI and have a primary land line connection and use cellular as a backup since our phone goes out alot. To be more secure, I would think having a backup would always be better. If your primary is cellular, it would be tough for the average criminal to disable though.

CPI has been ok, no issues. The installers were a little sloppy, leaving stuff everwhere that I had to clean up, but the system itself has been reliable.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:08 PM

68 posts, read 285,772 times
We've been very happy with alarm.com. We had them for over a year now with no problems. We don't have a land line or VoIP. When the alarm is set off we get a live person on my cell asking if everything is ok.We pay about $40/month but that includes accessing the system over the internet. That means we can activate/deactivate the system remotely and monitor any events. We can also set email alerts to be notified of any events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary