Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2007, 09:38 AM

47 posts, read 254,746 times

Advertisements

My family is planning on moving from SoCal to the triangle area this summer. We've done a lot of research and really like what Hillsborough has to offer. We've also considered parts of Chapel Hill and Carrboro outside of the city limits. We have 3 children and I know about the great reputation of CHC schools, but would really like to avoid some of the academic and social pressures that go along with a top notch school in a more affluent neighborhood. But... our 4 year old son has special needs and will also be attending school. I'm wondering if the services for him will vary greatly between OC schools and CHC schools. Academic and social pressures aren't really a concern of ours for him; we're more concerned about finding a school where the teachers will treat him with respect and kindness and where his therapy needs will be met.

Does anyone here have any experience with the special education programs in the OC and/or CHC schools? What can you tell me? I should make it clear that our son is very low functioning so it's almost guaranteed that he would be placed in a program for severely disabled children.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 03:05 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,039,924 times
I was just having lunch with my cousin today and we were talking about schools (we both went to chapel hill carrboro city schools) and she said last year she worked on a study at UNC that surveyed parents in the CHCC schools systems. The consensus (based on what she told me) was that the schools did an excellent job with students who excell academically as well as students who had special needs..........the students who seemed to "fall between the cracks" were those middle of the road students. Now, that waws coming from her. There is definitely pressure in the chapel hill schools for academic success, and I have heard that from a number of parents. I really like the orange county schools, but they do not have the amount of money of the chapel hill schools....sometimes that funding can affect special needs kids.

Chapel hill schools have more money than orange county schools, and the population of the chapel hill schools tends to be more wealthy than orange county schools. Not a good or bad thing, just a statement of fact.

I know I am not directly answering the question, but hopefully this will help a little.

Leigh

Old 01-15-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
I really like the orange county schools, but they do not have the amount of money of the chapel hill schools....sometimes that funding can affect special needs kids.
Thanks, Leigh. It sounds like attending CHCC may be great for our disabled son but an OC school may be better for our other 2 children. So now I guess we just have to decide who we love best.

I emailed the coordinators of the Exceptional Children's program at each of the schools but I'm still very interested in hearing other people's opinions and experiences.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:19 PM

2 posts, read 9,820 times
Hi there, we're planning on moving from NorCal to the Chapel Hill area in about 6 months, and we also have a 3.5 year old son with special needs - coincidence . I was doing some reading on the CHC EC website, and it looks like if you have a current IEP through your son's school district, the new district has to provide similar services (I was very happy to read that, as my son is also going to need lots of services!).

If you get any good info from the districts you contacted, could you share here? I'm just starting my research, so I'd love any info you can provide. Good luck to you!

Old 01-21-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningdew View Post
If you get any good info from the districts you contacted, could you share here? I'm just starting my research, so I'd love any info you can provide. Good luck to you!
I contacted both the OC and CHCC schools' exceptional children program coordinators. I heard back immediately from the OC schools and they were very nice and helpful answering my questions, saying they'd be happy to meet with me when I came for a visit. Still haven't heard a thing back from any of the 3 people I contacted with the CHCC schools. That kind of says a lot to me right there.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:38 PM

2 posts, read 9,820 times
Ugh, it sure does . Let me know if you hear anything.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,895 times
Default What have you heard about Cary?

Hi, my family is moving to the area also, we have a 10 year old son how is severly conitvly impared. What have you heard about Cary's school services?
Also, imconfused I thought Chapel Hill was in Ornge County how are the schools seprated?

Kerry

Old 03-24-2007, 01:00 AM

478 posts, read 2,304,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryKW View Post
Also, imconfused I thought Chapel Hill was in Ornge County how are the schools seprated?

Kerry
Kerry,

Chapel Hill/Carrboro schools and Orange County schools have been separate districts for a long time; I'm not sure that they were ever one district.

The reason behind the separation has to do with the social/class structure of Chapel Hill and its auxillary, Carrboro, versus the rest of the county. People who live in Chapel Hill tend to be wealthier, and with UNC right there, the focus on education is more intense. The school district is a good one, but I've heard of many a kid cracking under the immense pressure to perform academically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary