Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 01:10 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9/9 View Post
We had this argument a while ago in a thread now locked (is it against the TOS to link to locked threads here, or am I confusing it with another message board I visit?). Myself and a couple of others were arguing that there was value in examining the breakdown of the crime in Durham, and you kept on just saying that the numbers are the numbers.

Funny how that changes now.
I never said there wasn't value in examining why Durham had such a high crime and murder rate. That is useful for the authorities and city leaders trying to solve the issues. But as a potential resident the causes really don't matter that much. A high rate is a high rate, and Durham has had a consistent high murder rate for many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 01:14 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 565,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I never said there wasn't value in examining why Durham had such a high crime and murder rate. That is useful for the authorities and city leaders trying to solve the issues. But as a potential resident the causes really don't matter that much. A high rate is a high rate, and Durham has had a consistent high murder rate for many years.
So, you would disagree with the posters earlier in this thread who said they aren't concerned about this increase in Raleigh since they are mostly domestic in nature, right? I mean, it would be useful for the city leaders and all, but for the residents, it doesn't really matter. An increase in rate is an increase in rate.

If the cause of crime doesn't matter for Durham, than it doesn't matter for Raleigh, right?

Old 07-02-2008, 01:24 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
In terms of a spike, I think it is interesting to look at the numbers to understand if there is any significance as to why the numbers have spiked. Is it a sudden number of domestic disputes caused by the economy or other reasons? Is it a sudden rash of gang-related crime? Is it a long crazy out there killing random people? But over a long period of years and when comparing geographically similar cities, I don't think it holds a ton of value.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:24 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 565,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
In terms of a spike, I think it is interesting to look at the numbers to understand if there is any significance as to why the numbers have spiked. Is it a sudden number of domestic disputes caused by the economy or other reasons? Is it a sudden rash of gang-related crime? Is it a long crazy out there killing random people? But over a long period of years and when comparing geographically similar cities, I don't think it holds a ton of value.
We have been through this argument enough to know that no one's opinion is going to change.

Sorry I brought it up.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:03 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
No doubt, as do I in Durham.

What's interesting to supporters of Durham is that crime figures for Raleigh must have some sort of explanation, whereas similar figures for Durham are just because "that's the way Durham is"
Yes

Old 07-02-2008, 08:10 PM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
You should all be glad you are not living in Baltimore or DC or similar. I think Baltimore had 17 murders this morning.

With population growth comes a larger number in murders because there are more people and with this being a more affordable part of the country, people who had little and committed crimes in areas where they could not afford to live are coming here to a better situation but are bringing that same criminal attitude with them. Urban Sprawl leaves plenty of opportunity for crime due to the large area of getaway opportunities and with more people moving there are more homes and people to rob and kill. Sorry people but the growth is here as well as the crime.
I could be wrong and please correct me if I am, but I don't see many of these murders happening in the new "sprawly" secions of Raleigh. Do you actually believe that people will kill someone because of urban sprawl making it easier for them to get away with the crime I don't quite get what you're saying?

Old 07-03-2008, 04:50 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I could be wrong and please correct me if I am, but I don't see many of these murders happening in the new "sprawly" secions of Raleigh. Do you actually believe that people will kill someone because of urban sprawl making it easier for them to get away with the crime I don't quite get what you're saying?
Not directly because of urban sprawl but having a larger area to "retreat" to makes it easier to just get away. Also, most criminals are not conducting their activities in their back yards. they could be leaving those new areas and traveling to other parts to do their dirty deeds. Criminals do have cars (I wonder if gas prices will effect their travel patterns). I don't know where the crimes exactly happen but I think there could be some part of the increase do to the area being that much wider to cover in regards to law enforcement. Now that being said, larger cities, NY, Chicago, Detroit all have murders at a much higher per capita rate than here, but that's apples to oranges. My thoughts are opportunity drives crime and if people are much more spread out from one another then could it possibly be that creates that opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary