Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 09:31 AM

15 posts, read 31,802 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to relocate in the fall and one of the places I am looking at is Raleigh. I am 25 and will be looking for an apartment in the $800-$900 range, preferably within a 20 minute drive of downtown. Based on my price range I have seen a lot of apartments slightly northwest of NC State university, west of the Crabtree Valley mall. Is that a decent location in terms of ascetics, crime and travel convenience? Are there any other areas I should look at that you think might fit my price range?

The two main goals of my first trip to Raleigh are to do a little exploring and and get a feel for the area and also to look at some of the neighborhoods I would possibly be living in based on my price range. Any advice or suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 10:22 AM

48 posts, read 158,875 times
I currently live in Cumberland Cove Apartments. They should be in your price range and are a nice mix of professionals.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:48 AM

240 posts, read 1,290,006 times
I lived in Cumberland Cove apartments for a few years and I would not recommend them. The location was good but something was always breaking or leaking. Probably because they are old, personally I would look for some newer apartments. Also I did not find the office staff to be the best either. They could be rather rude at times.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:38 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,103,904 times
There is a nice apartment complex near Leadmine Road, not far from the mall. Not sure of the name; family member lives there and likes it.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:59 PM

41 posts, read 84,751 times
The area around Crabtree is nice. There has been some new development directly behind Crabtree Mall. It is also close to the Beltline giving easy access anywhere (except during evening rush hour).

I've lived in Raleigh over 20 years, however, not in an apartment. I am in apartments throughout the Triangle regularly, because of my profession. As you know, just like everything else, some have with spotless reputations while others...you know what I mean.

You've taken a good first step in due diligence by posting here. However, once you do visit, you can actually see and learn for yourself what will work for you in terms of cost, geography, and quality of the area . There are people here in the real estate market who can better address specifics of an apartment complex relative to rents than I.

What I know for a fact, once you're here, you'll be hooked.

Best of Luck
Matt

Old 01-27-2009, 05:06 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,176,864 times
Try my complex, Northridge Crossings, near Triangle Town Center. Big, safe, good rates.

Supersized Living in North Raleigh - Northridge Crossings

Don't know where you live now, so this may not apply. Be aware, it gets hot and humid here in the long Southern Summer season.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:46 PM

15 posts, read 31,802 times
Thanks everyone, I'm going to look at a few of your suggestions. Much appreciated!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:47 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,103,904 times
Camden Overlook apartment complex is where my family member lives. It's nice and in your specified area. Not sure of the rents.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:56 PM

850 posts, read 4,743,289 times
Check out the Brier Creek area. You can get to downtown in about 15-20 minutes. There are 13 apartment communities in Brier Creek all competing against one another, so while it is one of the more expensive areas (because its new, surrounds a country club and has lots of shopping/dining), you can typically find a good deal and get a 2 bedroom under $900.

Good luck!

Old 01-28-2009, 03:26 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,161,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytarheelz View Post
Check out the Brier Creek area. You can get to downtown in about 15-20 minutes. There are 13 apartment communities in Brier Creek all competing against one another, so while it is one of the more expensive areas (because its new, surrounds a country club and has lots of shopping/dining), you can typically find a good deal and get a 2 bedroom under $900.

Good luck!
I agree with this. I am also from MA, 26, and planning to relocate this spring/summer, and I am basically planning on The Exchange at Brier Creek. They look a bit expensive, but at least right now they have move-in specials; for instance, the floorplan I am looking at is something like 1200sq.ft. 2BR/2bath and they say it's $899 currently, not the $1200 advertised, so who knows. We've visited them twice and really like them, as they're new, modern, and in a somewhat remote-seeming location, but there's a TON of shopping/dining within a mile.

We've been to Raleigh scouting it out twice now. If you're going to check it out in person, I'd suggest hitting up the downtown where the tall buildings are, but think more like Albany or Springfield, not Boston. The Glenwood South area has some cool restaurants and bars, as well as various apartments with more that should be finished when you'd be moving. It's the trendy, "hoppin" area of Raleigh. I'd also say consider checking out Durham, if you like a little more grunge.

And I assume you've already figured this out, but obviously the summers are longer and hotter in general than up here, but I'd take that over the long, cold winters and all this SNOW.

PM me if I can be of any help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary