Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 04:26 PM

396 posts, read 1,100,952 times

Advertisements

We may be relocating out of state, and are debating how to place our house on the market. We live in a fairly nice 80s subdivision in Cary, with houses ranging from about 220-290 in value. Our house will probably end up being listed somewhere in the vicinity of 275K for 2400 square feet.

When we find out if we really are moving (maybe about a month before we have to move) we are debating just moving out of the house, doing touch up and painting, and then listing it. Our stuff is not particularly "matchy" or expensive. We will probably either have time before then to declutter/stage our stuff or fix up problem decorating (painting/wallpaper removal)--but not both.

Has anyone had experience selling an empty house in the Cary/Raleigh area? Or, have an opinion about buying an empty house?

I personally prefer to look at empty houses but am worried that folks will not be able to visualize. We have debated doing some basic staging ourselves...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 04:32 PM

65 posts, read 173,982 times
I think houses sell better with some furniture in them. You're right that some people (mostly men) can't visualize what a room could be when its empty.

Have you thought about renting some furniture? It's not that expensive and could give you the higher end look you want.

Good luck!

Old 07-02-2008, 06:47 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,578,301 times
Honestly, I'd make sure that your house is priced correctly and updated - that will have a bigger effect than staging, especially in your price range. Make sure you look at recent sold comps, not just houses currently for sale (which are often overpriced). I've been browsing in the $200K-$300K range for a couple of years, and I don't see much staging. Houses are either empty, or are being lived in (with a wide variety of decorating choices). I personally would rather buy an empty house - I don't have to worry that the sellers won't be out before closing (this has happened to me 2x), and I can see all the potential problems/defects.

That's just my opinion anyhow!

Old 07-02-2008, 09:31 PM

245 posts, read 806,840 times
I don't know if this is often done, but perhaps you could have a photographer come in and take pictures of each room with furniture in it. Leave an album in the kitchen (with enlargements of each room) so that potential buyers could tour an empty house (good, the occupants have REALLY moved!) but also get an idea of how the rooms look when they are being lived in.

I would personally love this. I prefer touring empty houses with neutral colors, but I also rely quite a bit on the "thumbnail" pictures that are on most home listing websites. It would help a lot to have big copies of these pictures to look at as I'm actually touring the house.

I've never actually seen this done, and am curious if anyone sees any downside to it?

Old 07-03-2008, 05:53 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,724,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnielisabeth View Post
Our stuff is not particularly "matchy" or expensive. We will probably either have time before then to declutter/stage our stuff or fix up problem decorating (painting/wallpaper removal)--but not both.
If you don't have time to both stage and "fix up problem decorating" I think it's more important to do the things that will last. IMHO wallpaper removal and fresh paint will go further than just staging alone. When I was looking at homes empty did not bother me but wallpaper and worn, outdated paint colors sure did.

I would ask your agent, they should be able to tell you what buyers expect in your price range. Ask them to prioritize your "to do" list as well.

Good luck.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:17 PM

551 posts, read 572,220 times
Thumbs up Here is your answer!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
We may be relocating out of state, and are debating how to place our house on the market. We live in a fairly nice 80s subdivision in Cary, with houses ranging from about 220-290 in value. Our house will probably end up being listed somewhere in the vicinity of 275K for 2400 square feet.

When we find out if we really are moving (maybe about a month before we have to move) we are debating just moving out of the house, doing touch up and painting, and then listing it. Our stuff is not particularly "matchy" or expensive. We will probably either have time before then to declutter/stage our stuff or fix up problem decorating (painting/wallpaper removal)--but not both.

Has anyone had experience selling an empty house in the Cary/Raleigh area? Or, have an opinion about buying an empty house?

I personally prefer to look at empty houses but am worried that folks will not be able to visualize. We have debated doing some basic staging ourselves...
Clean the house out of everything. Strip the wallpaper, repaint in pleasing colors (not bold, but not beige or white), clean or replace carpets and make sure hardwoods are in top condition. Then hang pleasing wall art in the rooms to give a vision of how the room should be laid out. This will allow buyers to see the proper layout, yet the rooms will look much bigger without any furniture in them.

It works like a charm.

By the way, the price you are talking about for that size home in Cary will draw a lot of attention as it is. Make a great first impression with what I just discussed and I bet your home is sold within 30 days.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:18 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,652,706 times
Quote:
We will probably either have time before then to declutter/stage our stuff or fix up problem decorating (painting/wallpaper removal)--but not both.
Decluttering is an absolute must. I wouldn't worry about painting/wallpaper until you've decluttered the home.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:44 AM

266 posts, read 1,049,533 times
Default Staging is great...

and if done properly does help sell your house. That being said, our market has always been a very transient area and people are accustomed to looking at vacant houses. Ditto on everything said here (good comments, folks!), but remember that when the belongings are all moved out, every stain on the carpet, the dust on the baseboards, the dings on the walls all show. The house needs to be immaculate and "touched up". I tell my clients to do what is best for THEIR situation, and then we work from there.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:48 AM

10 posts, read 18,222 times
Default Where is your house?

We are currently looking in Cary in your price range? Is there a pic. on the web of your home yet? What subdivision?

Thanks!

Old 07-05-2008, 12:59 PM

78 posts, read 308,469 times
Hi and good luck with your home sale. As an Interior Designer, and some one who has sold a fiar number of homes myself, I'd like to add to some of the excellent ideas already posted. You are right that people just cannot visualize something without some help. So, if you do decide to stage the place, select a particualr room, and be minimalistic, just so they can get the impressions of how they could possibly place their own furniture. You don't need to stage the whole house, but maybe one key area like the entrance and the LR or DR. And most definitely, declutter and de-personalize. If you love strong Pottery Barn colors as gorgeous as they are, others may not love it as much. So, make the place appealing to the masses and trigger their sense of "home" that is, let them see their family or themselves sitting there enjoying life. Finally, if you have outside living areas, stage that a little too. It'll make the house "feel" larger than it is and may provide just the excitement that a buyer may need to differentiate your house from another.

Good luck! Where are you going?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary