Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 05:11 AM

831 posts, read 1,965,261 times

Advertisements

I sent you a private message also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 05:20 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
Not sure if you've already done this but I would also recommend checking all of the hospital's HR websites. You can do a search specifically for social service positions. Healthcare in this area is a huge entity. Try going the following websites: Duke HR, WakeMed, UNC Medical Center, Rex Healthcare. Many don't advertise but post available positions online. I wish you much luck in your search.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:29 AM

13 posts, read 32,596 times
Hi Carolinaparker

I am sorry to hear about your experience. I had similar experiences, but I dont think it was because I was a South Asian. The employers, recruiters did not seem to mind that one bit.

In my case, I have postponed my move by one (or two) years down the line, when hopefully the job market will get better.

I am surprised you had difficulty after moving to Raleigh. I thought being local is very important for employers. Doesnt seem to have worked in your case. That is scary. And that too, with such great expereince and credentials! I can only conclude that the job market in the area is much worse than what statistcs say.

I would also recommend that you start a business on your own. Had I moved down there and had not found a job for 4 months, I would have started my own accounting and tax business. I see good growth potenial for small businesses offering services in the Raleigh area. My 2c!

Dont give up! Stay calm and be focused!

Good luck!

Old 07-04-2008, 07:32 AM

578 posts, read 3,081,729 times
Don't give up hope. It just takes a while to find that job. It took both my wife and mother a handful of months to finally get an offer. Who knows what the reasons are, prospective employers simply never say. You just don't hear from them. Frustrating? You bet! Depressing? After a while, it sure is.

I think the general conclusion was that there's simply a LOT of individuals looking for employment here. Thus a LOT of competition for each job. I think the fact you showed up to an interview where 10 other people were waiting for the same job lends a hand toward that theory.

Don't give up, keep plugging away. Generally speaking getting a job is either luck, or who you know. So go meet as many people as possible and hope you network with someone who knows about a job opening and give you a warm referral in. Since so many people relocate here maybe you even know someone from your past area that's now here that can do just that?

Old 07-04-2008, 07:41 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,130,150 times
Many non-profits are struggling these days and government agencies are trimming back on social programs. I would be curious as to the number of position for which you interviewed and/or applied that were actually filled.

Not being able to find a position is so discouraging. But, it's so heart warming to see the number of people that are willing to try and help. Just look at all the total strangers that PM'd you and posted with leads.

Best of luck!!

Old 07-04-2008, 07:51 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,766 times
I second looking at the medical hospitals inpatient services. There's always a great demand for bilingual clinical social workers/interpreters. When I used to work at Duke Hospital there seemed to be a tremendous influx of hispanic patients over the years. Best of luck and don't give up!

Old 07-04-2008, 08:10 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accentCPA View Post

I would also recommend that you start a business on your own. Had I moved down there and had not found a job for 4 months, I would have started my own accounting and tax business. I see good growth potenial for small businesses offering services in the Raleigh area. My 2c!
I'll be the third to suggest this route! If you have a little bit of savings (which you must, if you've gone 4 months without a job), are creative enough to leverage your experience properly and are willing to take a few risks (again, which you must be if you moved here without a job), then I don't see why you wouldn't succeed. The technology is there to allow for a very cheap home office that services clients anywhere. Combine this with a willingness to travel now and then and the Triangle's continued growth prospects, and you should be fine. All it takes is a willingness and and an interest in taking a creative approach to forging your own career, which might mean not doing the exact same thing you did previously but potentially something even more enriching.

Best of luck and welcome!

(PS - I moved here without a job, and after nobody bit my resume, I decided to take the small business route. I'm lucky enough to have clients internationally in places that aren't really hit by recession, but I also have a few locally as well. It's not been easy, but in the long-run, the decision will definitely pay off)

Old 07-04-2008, 08:13 AM

941 posts, read 2,303,335 times
That's why i love City-Data just when you think you're alone,these post give much needed encouragement. I have relocated from NJ to GA and now NC and i've been out of work for a year. In GA i got absolutely no responses for interviews at all, but in NC interviews have been good,but like the OP said no callbacks after good talks. Sometimes i feel like i'm in the Twilight Zone, why is it so hard to find a job when you honestly want to work!

Old 07-04-2008, 09:19 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
I had a client who was also bilingual. She applied to all the hospitals in the area and got a job offer from Wake Med. With our Hispanic population growing, it just seems that we will need more bilingual speaking people so I'd keep plugging away. Think of areas that would need your abilities, like hospitals, banks, etc.

Like another poster said...I'd want to know WHY I didn't get a job so maybe an email, asking what you could have done better or done differently? If you have a really good friend, do some role playing with them and ask them to critique you. I know my friends happily do that without even being asked!!!

Vicki

Old 07-05-2008, 12:28 PM

579 posts, read 2,863,856 times
my hubby is a social worker so I may know a little bit about this.

1. What is your salary range? You may be asking more than other candidates. Remember, the answer to 99 out of 100 questions is money. There are probably canididates out there with more education asking for the same. BA level SS jobs around here pay up to about 35K tops. Masters level about 35K-45K and for anything more than that, you need a license (and a masters to get it).

2. The state of NC has just gone through some MAJOR changes in regards to their laws that deal with their social service policies and who can and who can't do "clinical work"or any higher level social services. NC is one of the strictest in this way and it's almost impossible to do much more than a QP level job or Mentor with only a BA. Your inability to get a job sounds like NC red tape all the way. It's becoming harder and harder to get SW jobs without a license in this state. Even my hubby has a masters and still has to do clinical work under supervision until he gets his license next year. In fact, when we moved here he only had a BA and had to go back to get his masters because he couldn't get a decent job with just a BA regardless of how much experience he had.

3. The economy really S***Ks right now! Employers everywhere are cutting back like crazy due to the strain. It's going to be very hard to get employment nowadays and it's only getting worse.

4. NC employers are SLOOOOOWWWWW. They take FOREVER to get back to you! The first job I got here took almost 8 weeks to get hired from the time I first got called from them. So you may have some interest already but just don't know it yet.

Stay strong and determined! It will be ok!

PS: Oh and also call the state of NC Social Wolk board and UNC school of Social Work to get some job leads.

Last edited by raccemup; 07-05-2008 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: ETA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary