Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 04:50 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
One interview....need I say more. How long did you search the job sites for that one interview?
I've had four interviews so far since I started looking for a local job (mid-March to now).. so 25% came from Monster/Careerbuilder (can't remember which), 25% SimplyHired/Indeed, 25% TriangleHelpWanted, and 25% from a recruiter. I'm not about to pitch Monster/Careerbuilder in the trash quite yet!

The disadvantage I mentioned wasn't with accounting in general - it was my own lack of experience in the areas that are in demand in the Triangle. If I had a manufacturing background I would have found a position in a week at most.

Anyhow, I still think it's worth using every resource available for a job search. It takes a few minutes to scan job sites for relevant postings - and it's easy to ignore the junk. There aren't THAT many postings for this area anyhow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 06:36 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
I just wanted to post a quick update - last week I accepted an accounting manager position at a Raleigh-area pharmaceutical company. I started my job search in mid-March, so it took me about four months to find the job. The job was advertised only on TriangleHelpWanted.com and the company doesn't post openings on its own website. TriangleHelpWanted has very few job postings (at least in accounting), and I have to think employers don't get nearly as many resumes as they would from Monster/Careerbuilder. It did wind up getting picked up by Indeed, so I would have seen it eventually even without TriangleHelpWanted.

I had no luck at all with recruiters - I tend to think that since employers are paying a hefty placement fee they give the recruiter a very stringent list of requirements that candidates must meet. My background is rather unique, so it was easy for me to wind up in the "No" pile. The company that hired me doesn't use recruiters at all.

I also think the fact that I was telecommuting and working for a Virginia company while living in NC confused some employers. They either thought I wasn't working for the Virginia company any longer, or that I wasn't really living in Apex. Towards the end of my job search I updated my resume to clarify that I was telecommuting (but this was after I interviewed at the company I'll be working for). I definitely think local candidates have an advantage over those not yet living here.

So, my advice is still to use all available options when looking for a job - if I hadn't heard those annoying TriangleHelpWanted ads on the radio I might not have included that site in my job search and missed out on a great opportunity!

Old 07-20-2008, 07:24 AM

551 posts, read 575,476 times
We had absolutely zero luck with recruiters here. Most would not even call us back. The ones that did contact us did not help us out at all. Not my wife, son or me and we have great work histories and experience. For us, it was job search sites like Monster & Career-builder and the companies own websites, by far. My wife got her job in 2 weeks. My son got his job in 1 week. I had offers within 6 weeks, but passed on some until I got the company I wanted, so I spent a few months, but that was by choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary