Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 04:21 PM

6 posts, read 19,950 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a corporate finance type of job in RTP, and I'm currently not in NC. Where would be a good place to look, newspaper or website? Are there any websites that are dedicated to the jobs in RTP?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 04:27 PM

563 posts, read 956,051 times
Local Paper New and Observer newsobserver.com | Home
RTP Jobs The Research Triangle Park
craigslist: raleigh / durham / CH classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

In addition to Careerbuilder.com, monster.com

Old 07-04-2008, 04:30 PM

Thanks. I'm checking the rtp.org.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:19 PM

551 posts, read 2,287,583 times
try trianglehelpwanted.com!

Try checking the individual employer websites, too. You can search for a list of RTP companies by industry here:
The Research Triangle Park

Of course, that is just places RTP itself - I'm not sure if you mean that you actually want to work in RTP of just the Triangle area....

Old 07-05-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky View Post
try trianglehelpwanted.com!

Try checking the individual employer websites, too. You can search for a list of RTP companies by industry here:
The Research Triangle Park

Of course, that is just places RTP itself - I'm not sure if you mean that you actually want to work in RTP of just the Triangle area....
I want to relocate to Raleigh and am interested in finding a corporate finance job (MBA level) around Raleigh (not necessarily in RTP). I'm not sure if there would be any finance job opportunities in RTP. It seems that there are more engineering jobs than anything else.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:53 PM

551 posts, read 575,396 times
Monster & Careerbuilder are always good.

Most companies want everything electronic now. My company will not accept paper resumes.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:55 PM

14 posts, read 42,653 times
The best way is find a headhunter or a search firm.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:57 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,938,373 times
There are a lot of companies in this area with an HQ here and most HQs have a finance department. With you obviously not looking for something in banking (unless you are talking at a corporate level for a bank then you should check out Charlotte). IBM, Lenovo, Quintiles, Red Hat, SAS, General Parts and a host of other well known companies call Raleigh home. It's really not that difficult to find companies, both large and small, in this market.

Job sites are a waste of time. Unless a company website directs you to the job site I would suggest finding the company names, go to their own career site and apply directly there. I would also look into talking to a staffing company that focuses on finance. In today's job market, a lot of companies are turning to flexible staffing. the other thing is that it is the job of those staffing employees to know people so if anything you can use them to get your resume to the top of the pile. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:57 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Job sites are a waste of time.
I disagree. I think in this job market you need to utilize every resource available. I know I've gotten at least one interview from Careerbuilder or Monster. There are also "aggregator" websites like Indeed and SimplyHired that pull job listings from company websites - I've had pretty good success with them as well. Even smaller sites like TriangleHelpWanted can yield results. I probably look at least 5-6 sites every day, and more on a weekly basis. I've had the least success with recruiters.

I'm in the accounting field and have been actively looking for nearly four months. I'm at a disadvantage in the Raleigh area because I don't have manufacturing or pharmaceutical experience but I'm making progress. I'm actually being flown to a corporate office for a second interview later this week, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is "the one."

Old 07-06-2008, 12:50 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,938,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I disagree. I think in this job market you need to utilize every resource available. I know I've gotten at least one interview from Careerbuilder or Monster.
One interview....need I say more. How long did you search the job sites for that one interview? Indeed.com is a good site....and not a job site like careerbuilder or monster that take money for job postings but a compilation of job postings (all be it some of those are still crap). Some job sites that are niche based can be helpful but nothing is better than a direct career site for a potential employer.

If you want to go off of ROI a Job Site is dead last. How often do you get a daily update of job openings only to find it's a re-posting, a false add to either working at home or selling Ginsu knives out of a duffel bag or some investment BS? The other thing to consider based on the volume of resume submittals is maybe your resume is not that good (not yours in particular). That is usually at least 70% of the issue. If your resume does not sell you then you may as well not have submitted one. Good luck though regardless of which means you use.

Also, the accounting disadvantage is not relevant in my eyes. With the amount of Head Quarters in this area there are plenty of accounting jobs otherwise there would not be such an influx of accounting based staffing companies. they go where the opportunities are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary