Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2008, 11:23 AM

13 posts, read 118,476 times

Advertisements

We recently relocated to North Carolina (Chapel Hill), and are considering buying a small cottage at a lake for weekends/extended summer vacations for our young family. We've heard that Lake Norman is supposed to be nice, and would consider a couple hour drive, but was wondering what other lakes people vacation at w/in a couple hour or less driving range?

If you are partial to a particular lake, can you give me some details as to what area of the lake is nice? We'd be looking for lakefront/lake view with a community feel to it (don't want it to be too isolated). Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 12:16 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,676 times
I think the most "popular" thing is to go to the beach for weekends; it is only a 2 1/2 hour drive to the Wilmington area beaches.

The majority of big lakes in NC are man-made. The more recently built ones (Jordan, Falls) do not permit private land ownership. Two within driving distance of the Triangle that do permit private land ownership are Kerr Lake and Lake Gaston, both on the NC/VA border. Lake Gaston has an entirely private shoreline and as such has the most opportunity for home purchase.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:49 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,663,708 times
Try White Lake, NC. 2 hour drive toward Wilimington (near Elizabethtown). Clear lake with sandy bottom. You can water ski on this lake and is a very small town. Can be very pricey if you can find one on the lake.. I would say at least 400K to start but there are other homes not on the lake that are not as expensive. Our family has a cottage there since the 1950s..

Old 07-06-2008, 04:49 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,037 times
I have friends in the durham area and they bought a house (although they have sold it now) at smith mountain lake. Let me say........I love love love that lake! It is beautiful, surrounded by a mountain, clear water, and they have many houses, as well as a couple of condo complexes that might be a good option. It is about 2 hours from durham, so maybe 2.5 for you, just up 86 through danville area.

Leigh

Old 10-03-2008, 10:17 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,048,960 times
Default reply

Lake Tillery and Badin Lake(both are yadkin/pee dee river damn projects- the yadkin becomes the pee dee when it meets the Uwharrie) are great NC lakes. They are both within 2.5 hours of the triangle. Far less crowded than Kerr, Norman or Gaston. I would also recommend Smith Mountain Lake in Va. Drop dead gorgeous with a mountain backdrop and less than four hours from the triangle. Lake Greenwood near Clinton SC is a real jewel that is the least expensive lake in either north or south carolina(i hate the term carolinas-as do most deep rooted natives). Uwharrie Point is one of the finest lake hoods in the southeast. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary