Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 03:09 PM

46 posts, read 599,266 times

Advertisements

I've been told and have read some disturbing information about the Raleigh area recently. Firstly, I read that the KKK has passed out leaflets in Wake County, blaming the school system problems on illegal immigrants. Secondly, it seems that the KKK and Neo-***** hold marches in the Raleigh area pretty frequently.

After coming across this information, I asked a black friend of mine who went to N.C. State about the racial climate. He basically said that there are some racial issues in the area.
This is disturbing because firstly, I don't want to be solicited by bigots to join the KKK. Secondly, in the future when I have children I don't want them to be at risk, because I raised them to be colorblind. Is a part of the Raleigh culture that is conveniently being swept under the rug?

Old 01-16-2007, 03:24 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,237,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUDavidBanner View Post
I asked a black friend of mine who went to N.C. State about the racial climate. He basically said that there are some racial issues in the area.
I have lived in the "South" for the past 7 years ( 5years in Richmond, VA and the past 2 here in Raleigh, NC) and I have never ever witenssed or even heard of any of the things you described.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:38 PM

251 posts, read 1,141,120 times
The KKK is a relic of decades ago and if it does exist, it's certainly not a major influence of any sort. I've not heard of it being around here at all.

I've lived all over the country and I can say that racism is less in the South than it is in many other areas I've lived in. I have an African-American friend who moved here from another part of the country and she said she loves it because people are generally more open-minded regarding her race.

I think two things factor in:

1. Because racism was once so prevalent in the South - most southerners have taken it really seriously and work hard to counter it.

2. And because there is such a high population of African-Americans living in the South along with caucasians - people are used to being around each other and in many neighborhoods around Raleigh you'll see a mix of blacks and whites all peacefully living alongside each other.

A Christian group called Called2Action has a lot of black people working alongside white folks to help the area keep its high morals.

It's a given that anywhere you go you'll find some bigotry, but most people just aren't concerned with that as much as they once were. People are just doing their best to make a good living.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:46 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,016,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipstone View Post
The KKK is a relic of decades ago and if it does exist, it's certainly not a major influence of any sort. I've not heard of it being around here at all.

I've lived all over the country and I can say that racism is less in the South than it is in many other areas I've lived in. I have an African-American friend who moved here from another part of the country and she said she loves it because people are generally more open-minded regarding her race.

I think two things factor in:

1. Because racism was once so prevalent in the South - most southerners have taken it really seriously and work hard to counter it.

2. And because there is such a high population of African-Americans living in the South along with caucasians - people are used to being around each other and in many neighborhoods around Raleigh you'll see a mix of blacks and whites all peacefully living alongside each other.

A Christian group called Called2Action has a lot of black people working alongside white folks to help the area keep its high morals.

It's a given that anywhere you go you'll find some bigotry, but most people just aren't concerned with that as much as they once were. People are just doing their best to make a good living.

I agree 100 percent with the PP.........I have lived in the triangle area most of my life (since I was three) and my sister just came back here from living in New Hampshire for 6 years. She said that she felt the racism more there because there was not a great deal of diversity and people always assumed racism was in the south so no one dealt with it and it just lingers there.

I do not believe it is a perfect place, but no place is perfect. I think the triangle area is well educated and has more diversity than most parts of north carolina, but I am sure racism still exists. I have never actually encountered anyone from the KKK..........and I have never seen any pamphets either.

Leigh

Old 01-16-2007, 04:19 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,322,164 times
Quote:
I've been told and have read some disturbing information about the Raleigh area recently. Firstly, I read that the KKK has passed out leaflets in Wake County, blaming the school system problems on illegal immigrants. Secondly, it seems that the KKK and Neo-***** hold marches in the Raleigh area pretty frequently.

After coming across this information, I asked a black friend of mine who went to N.C. State about the racial climate. He basically said that there are some racial issues in the area.
This is disturbing because firstly, I don't want to be solicited by bigots to join the KKK. Secondly, in the future when I have children I don't want them to be at risk, because I raised them to be colorblind. Is a part of the Raleigh culture that is conveniently being swept under the rug?
The Klan is alive still, but not as actively open nor as fashionable, for lack of a better word, as it was in years past. At least the Klan is up front with their ignorance and don't cloak it as something else. All kinds of people pass out leaflets blaming the world's ills on others who are not like them - those are the ones who make me nervous.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:46 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,956,941 times
Quote:

I'm not aware of anyplace in NC, let alone Wake County, as being a hotbed of hate crimes. I would be interested in whatever documentation you have.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Secondly, it seems that the KKK and Neo-***** hold marches in the Raleigh area pretty frequently.
Nope. Not happening.

The news would be all over it if it was.

Guaranteed.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:20 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,556,064 times
I have been here for almost 25 years now,and have never seen anything like what your talking about. I would have never stayed as long as I have with my children if I knew that was happening here. I know that their probably still is Klan in the backwoods or something, and I hope they stay there. I really hope they drop off the face of the planet for that matter.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:23 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,956,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipstone View Post
Nope. Not happening.

The news would be all over it if it was.

Guaranteed.
Even if they were marching, no crime in that unless they failed to secure the proper permits from the city.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Secondly, it seems that the KKK and Neo-***** hold marches in the Raleigh area pretty frequently.
Nope. Not happening.

If it was the news coverage would be all over it.

Guaranteed.

What is it about the South that draws so much negative talk like this? I know the answer and am fairly sure a lot of others do too.

I won't spell it out, but just give the initials as a hint: PC

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary