Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 05:18 AM

473 posts, read 1,513,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
By the way, ever been to a Wake County Library Sale? Where there are new releases off the best seller list, barely a year old, (with library date stamp stickers on the back) already for sale for $4? It's infuriating.
They may be one of several duplicate copies, 3Dog. If the library has at least one copy for each location, they don't have room for any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 06:07 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,323,062 times
I agree that library's should be for reading first. There are many retail outlets both brick and motor and click and buy establishments for CD's and DVD purchases and rentals. Some libraries around the country are even loaning out play station games and Wii games. How educational is that? I use the Wake County library system about every 2 weeks or so and find the one I use small but adequate.

More emphasis should be on reading and basic learning of thought and wonder and less on only hearing and seeing without regard to listening and thinking. Now let me say what I really think about our public library system passing out CD's and DVD's!

I guess I would sum it up in a word, 'Vinyl'.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:26 AM

460 posts, read 1,271,215 times
I love the Cameron Village library..and self check out...and requesting books online. It'd be nice if there were educational DVDs available...but I wouldn't want them to come at the expense of regular book ordering.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:32 AM

847 posts, read 3,514,889 times
Don't lump Durham into the discussion by saying "Triangle." Durham has an excellent public library system, including not only many new and well-stocked branches, a very responsive interlibrary loan system, and online services like RosettaStone, but also an A/V center with educational and entertaining video, audio, and software materials. Libraries are meant to improve the knowledge and culture of the public; the medium does not matter.

All library systems in NC can provide you access to NCLive which now has educational and historical videos (among other goodies). NC LIVE - Authentication Required

Old 07-08-2008, 06:33 AM

831 posts, read 1,958,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly0428 View Post
They may be one of several duplicate copies, 3Dog. If the library has at least one copy for each location, they don't have room for any more.

I appreciate the response, but it's still unacceptable policy. Then there is a purchasing problem. And if there are too many copies, why 4 weeks later am I still #29 and waiting for "The Shack"? I was #49 when I got on the waiting list for this book in the beginning of June. A couple of weeks ago, I was #101 for something else (can't recall now, I canceled it). $10 says I'll see 14 copies of "The Shack" when I go to the library sale in November.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:01 AM

492 posts, read 1,148,632 times
I have been to the library sales and I never find brand new, new releases there. I have stopped going in fact, cuz I never found much that I wanted to buy.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:06 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 1 day ago)

43,062 posts, read 76,604,643 times
I'm just so disgusted that they don't have an open tap and free hot sausage sandwiches, with a little pepper and onion, if you would, please.

WhatamIpayintaxesforanyway?

Old 07-08-2008, 09:03 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,066,614 times
Wow. Maybe, coming from the places where I have lived have jaded me to what a public library is all about.

To me, a library is a part of the community in which it is located and as such, should provide a service to that community. Of course books (books on tape) are primary given the name "library" but the official definition of the word "library" is (according to 'webopedia') "a collection of files". Not books, tapes, magazines, articles. CDs, DVDs. Just "a collection of files" Yes, the word "library" has its roots in Latin "Libris" which means book. But they didn't have DVDs in Cesar's day, did they?

Where I've lived, libraries have had books, tapes, CDs, DVDs ,magazines, access to public computers, free wi-fi, meeting rooms for the public, children's programs, adult programs, museum tickets, book sales, community bulletin boards, art displays from localgalleries, etc.

A library is so much more than where you go to check out a book. And the responses on this thread from people in Wake who don't want or expect more out of their library, simply to keep taxes low, bothers me. This is one area I have no problem being paid for with my tax dollars!

Old 07-08-2008, 09:22 AM

59 posts, read 213,774 times
If you want to know the WCPL priorities and budget you can get it from their Web site. http://www.wakegov.com/NR/rdonlyres/...nfy07final.pdf I went to see if they had a statement on video/audio materials and I don't see it specifically mentioned as to why they don't do it. Perhaps my quick read of the business plan isn't enough to fully understand their position, but their priorities seem clear and their actions seem to support those priorities.

- Provide services to children
- Promote recreational reading
- Encourage lifeling learning
- Establish the library as a community center
- Bridge the technology gap (ie computers)

They have built or expanded a number of branches in recent years (Cameron Village, North Regional, for example). They have 6 regional libraries and 11 community branches. And they have greatly expanded the number of computers at the branches.

They do want to focus on senior services in the future, but remain focused on their 5 priorities. I was surprised to see that 25% of the libraries have a security presence.

Apparently they had conducted a customer and focus group analysis and they do mention the request for audio books. As noted by posters, they do have more audio books available in recent years.

For those of you concerned about budget, compare the numbers with Mecklenburg's system (similar population). I wish they have provided some description of what the $/Cap. and Circ/Cap and $/Circ numbers mean (I could guess, but would rather not.) They do say "The Wake County Public Library System produces more units of service than the largest libraries in the state and compares favorably with other libraries that have a similar philosophy of service delivery."

About the perceived overstock of "new" books -- many times I am too impatient for some of the new books and I buy my own and then donate it to the library. That might account for some of the number of new books available for sale in the fall. They can't plan for that when they purchase.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:23 AM

460 posts, read 1,271,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
I appreciate the response, but it's still unacceptable policy. Then there is a purchasing problem. And if there are too many copies, why 4 weeks later am I still #29 and waiting for "The Shack"? I was #49 when I got on the waiting list for this book in the beginning of June. A couple of weeks ago, I was #101 for something else (can't recall now, I canceled it). $10 says I'll see 14 copies of "The Shack" when I go to the library sale in November.
I've always assumed they buy a lot of copies when it first comes out because of high demand...but then demand drops off and there's no need for the extra copies taking up space.

I volunteer at the Sales every year and love it! I've discovered new to me authors every year and you can't beat fill a box for $5!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary