Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:53 AM

50 posts, read 132,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
Wow. Maybe, coming from the places where I have lived have jaded me to what a public library is all about.

To me, a library is a part of the community in which it is located and as such, should provide a service to that community. Of course books (books on tape) are primary given the name "library" but the official definition of the word "library" is (according to 'webopedia') "a collection of files". Not books, tapes, magazines, articles. CDs, DVDs. Just "a collection of files" Yes, the word "library" has its roots in Latin "Libris" which means book. But they didn't have DVDs in Cesar's day, did they?

Where I've lived, libraries have had books, tapes, CDs, DVDs ,magazines, access to public computers, free wi-fi, meeting rooms for the public, children's programs, adult programs, museum tickets, book sales, community bulletin boards, art displays from localgalleries, etc.

A library is so much more than where you go to check out a book. And the responses on this thread from people in Wake who don't want or expect more out of their library, simply to keep taxes low, bothers me. This is one area I have no problem being paid for with my tax dollars!
Thank you for your response. My libary system sounds very similar to yours, so I agree with you as well as the OP. I reside in a community with a wonderful public library system, and it is truly one of the perks that our family will miss the most when we move. I must admit that I am disappointed and discouraged by many of the posts I've read here. Several months ago I posted a question about the Wake County Public Schools, and now I read about the library system. As much as we would like to leave this climate behind, the responses posted here are disconcerting to me.

My children love selecting books at the library. When they are finished, we'll frequently check out the related DVD (e.g., Anne of Green Gables, Thomas the Tank Engine series, Little Women, etc.) Whenever I'm planning our next vacation, we'll check out books and DVD's to learn more about the destination. Long road trips are the perfect times to also pick up a stack of books and DVDs for the car ride. I think these multimedia options enhance the library's offerings. We even have music recitals (piano, violin, etc) at our local libraries. It's truly a lifeline of the community, and it's wonderful. [I won't even mention the bakery that offers tea, coffee, bagels, pastries, and homemade cookies.]

As much as I would love to leave Naperville, perhaps I need to reconsider until my children enter university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 09:11 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,779 times
I don't think you have to stay in Naperville just for schools and libraries! I'm coming from MA and I too at first was not comfortable with how Wake County schools were run and now, seeing this thread, disappointed with how I perceive the library system to be lacking. However..

Wake County is not the only county in the Triangle. Others have posted here that Durham Public Libraries as well as other counties have completely different systems. I've also found that to be true of schools. If we do ever get down there, we will most likely wind up in Chapel Hill. People caution me about the price of real estate there and you do pay a "premium", no question. But I paid the "entry fee" for the town in which I currently live (for a top rated school system) and coming from MA, at least we're not talking about a huge price differential as you would see coming from other parts of the country. If Chapel Hill seems too expensive, there are lovely (and safe) parts of Durham, other towns in neighborhing counties such as Orange, Johnston, etc.

Good luck!

p.s. an old and dear friend of mine lives in Naperville. She loves it and I can understand you are hesitant to leave. I've not heard anything bad about the community (other than the weather).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWA2go View Post
Thank you for your response. My libary system sounds very similar to yours, so I agree with you as well as the OP. I reside in a community with a wonderful public library system, and it is truly one of the perks that our family will miss the most when we move. I must admit that I am disappointed and discouraged by many of the posts I've read here. Several months ago I posted a question about the Wake County Public Schools, and now I read about the library system. As much as we would like to leave this climate behind, the responses posted here are disconcerting to me.

My children love selecting books at the library. When they are finished, we'll frequently check out the related DVD (e.g., Anne of Green Gables, Thomas the Tank Engine series, Little Women, etc.) Whenever I'm planning our next vacation, we'll check out books and DVD's to learn more about the destination. Long road trips are the perfect times to also pick up a stack of books and DVDs for the car ride. I think these multimedia options enhance the library's offerings. We even have music recitals (piano, violin, etc) at our local libraries. It's truly a lifeline of the community, and it's wonderful. [I won't even mention the bakery that offers tea, coffee, bagels, pastries, and homemade cookies.]

As much as I would love to leave Naperville, perhaps I need to reconsider until my children enter university.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:14 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,656,638 times
Sounds like the libraries around here could use some volunteers and donations. I used to donate books and magazines to the libraries in the towns I lived in. I'll have to look into this again.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:23 AM

124 posts, read 504,409 times
Default One Final Thought

Libraries up north (specifically Cleveland and Chicago) started to spend a good deal of their purchasing budgets in recent years on videos, dvds, pop music, etc. They have found that the shrinkage rate (i.e. stolen) incidences went up dramatically. As such, they are decreasing their purchases in these areas as it drains their purchasing budegets to constantly replace these items. I suspect it would be no different here and would result in less monies for books, educational programs, etc. You start the slide down the slippery slope and it is hard to stop. And to take it one step further, there have been great fights about what is or is not appropriate videos/music for the library to purchase. Food for thought.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:33 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
The mission of the Wake Co Libraries does not include DVD and CDs. They are focused on renovating aging libraries, building new ones, encouraging reading, provided computer access and a ton of other great things. Just because it doesn't provide CDs and DVDs, not make the mistake of thinking they do a poor job with the things they do focus on.

The West Regional, Eva Perrry and Cameron Village locations (the 3 I'm familiar with) are all very good libraries. They are packed with people. There are always activities going on.

The online reservation thing saturnfan mentioned is fantastic. As I'm finishing up a book, I go online and pick out the next thing I want to read. I then get an email when it is waiting for me and swing by and get be in and out of my branch in 30 seconds. It is a great service.

Music and Movies are moving to a digital model, free of a physical copy. It makes a lot more sense in the future to offer a digital library of these that can be listened to/viewed at the library. No worries about copies disappearing, people making illegal copies, shelf space, etc.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:16 AM

847 posts, read 3,522,917 times
I just remembered a great choice for those who are close to Durham and need more library services. You can get a Durham library card for $45/year if you are an out-of-county resident. I know some homeschoolers in Chapel Hill who gladly pay the fee for a larger selection. Here's the info:
Services - Durham County Library

Old 07-08-2008, 10:45 AM

50 posts, read 132,445 times
findingmesomeday: Are you close to making your move? I've always loved Chapel Hill. However, I'm leaning towards North Raleigh or Wake Forest. I received a recommendation on a realtor from a relative, but the relationship is not working. We are interested in building a home and have been reviewing floor plans for some firm requirements we have [e.g., nice sized guest suite on 1st floor for visits from parents/in-laws]. The agent seems intent on steering us to Cary, which he says is a smaller version of Naperville. [Another city that always tops those oh-so informative "Best Cities" lists.] Been there and done that. Cary is lovely, but I'm not particularly drawn to another version of where I currently live. Would like to try something different next time.

Sorry to go off on a tangent. Back on point... I also agree with MAtoNC about volunteering. I volunteer at our library, and it's a wonderful way to provide assistance in the community. We also have plenty of teen volunteers in our area.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:07 PM

59 posts, read 214,400 times
I second what Dire Wolf wrote.

I actually wrote to the WPLC director and got a response today. I did not ask his permission to post his response here so I will paraphrase.

When they first looked at the issue the book collection was in terrible shape and they spent their resources on building the book collection. They are at a state now where they are meeting the lowest level of demand. High demand is wearing out the collection faster than they can replace it. The capital expansion program is allowing them to increase the collection. (No word on what will happen after the capital expansion is over.)

They are also concerned with the fact that audio and video formats are rapidly
changing. He understands that other libraries are currently struggling with what to do with their out of date formats while trying to replace titles from one format to the other.

Personally I think the libraries are just fine. I find what I need. I get it delivered to my nearest branch. The self-checkout is great. They have lots of children's programs, book clubs and events. They have newsletters on new books you can sign up for online. (I do wish the local branch had an online newsletter, but it is easy to pick up a hardcopy when I drop by to get my requested books.)

I think they should open more community branches and buy more books (which is what they are doing). DVDs and CDs sound like a mess to deal with and I rather they spent their money on their stated priorities.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:33 PM

18,074 posts, read 15,664,302 times
Quote:
They are also concerned with the fact that audio and video formats are rapidly changing.
The formats are not changing so much as the capability of delivering on a wider array of media does make it a challenge. CDs are not going anywhere for a long time. But yes, DVD technology continues to grow (but with no movies at the Wake library, that's not a concern, right?).

The biggest boon that will help libraries deliver digital content, music and (yes {gasp} movies and shows) are the higher speed networks like FIOS. Because then content can be streamed to the end user in real time instead of distributed on a physical disc that needs to be physically managed. Mechanisms are already in place for this to happen...in fact there are services out there that the library already participates in for delivery of eContent. Check out netLibrary for one example.

Wake will need to link to more of these types of services in order to increase their digital holdings...but the GOOD news is that they won't have to physically house these various collections in order to offer them. So in the end it will really come down to a budget issue along with how much to have in book/paper form and how much $$$ to shuttle over to digital form.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:33 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
Sounds like the libraries around here could use some volunteers and donations. I used to donate books and magazines to the libraries in the towns I lived in. I'll have to look into this again.
Good reminder. We used to do this.
Cary's main branch on Academy Street has a magazine rack inside the door for swapping magazines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary