Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 01:15 PM

18,045 posts, read 15,639,191 times

Advertisements

The one thing this discussion is reminding me is how much I LOVE libraries and the library system. I use the library regularly and always feel a sense of coming 'home' when I walk into one. So even though this topic has caused some consternation to some, for me it has reminded me of this wonderful resource, so thanks for that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 01:28 PM

305 posts, read 713,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
The online reservation thing saturnfan mentioned is fantastic.
I'm so sick of reading praise for this feature over and over. Every library in this country now has an online reservation system. BIG DEAL!!

Old 07-08-2008, 02:32 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
... Now let me say what I really think about our public library system passing out CD's and DVD's!

I guess I would sum it up in a word, 'Vinyl'.
I'm with you. If we were having this discussion five years ago, I would absolutely have argued for the library to stock CDs and DVDs. But today we're really talking about a medium that is losing its impact. More and more people are getting their electronic content electronically, and I'd hesitate to say that the Wake County Libraries should invest in a medium that many people are actively removing from their homes (especially CDs).

The libraries have been short of money. That's why I, and many voters, voted for a $45 million bond issuance in October 2007 to support a master plan that can be found here: http://www.wakegov.com/NR/rdonlyres/...erPlan2007.pdf

It's focus is on improving the book stock, adding locations, and improving access to technology with wireless networks in all the libraries and additional computers. I think the technology focus is appropriate.

In general, the library is funded by property taxes, so let's hope the recent revaluation helps them. If folks would like to donate money or books, information is here: WakeGOV.com - Library Trust Fund

Old 07-08-2008, 03:00 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
I'm with you. If we were having this discussion five years ago, I would absolutely have argued for the library to stock CDs and DVDs. But today we're really talking about a medium that is losing its impact. More and more people are getting their electronic content electronically, and I'd hesitate to say that the Wake County Libraries should invest in a medium that many people are actively removing from their homes (especially CDs).

The libraries have been short of money. That's why I, and many voters, voted for a $45 million bond issuance in October 2007 to support a master plan that can be found here: http://www.wakegov.com/NR/rdonlyres/...erPlan2007.pdf

It's focus is on improving the book stock, adding locations, and improving access to technology with wireless networks in all the libraries and additional computers. I think the technology focus is appropriate.

In general, the library is funded by property taxes, so let's hope the recent revaluation helps them. If folks would like to donate money or books, information is here: WakeGOV.com - Library Trust Fund
How could the revaluation help since it was basically revenue neutral?

Old 07-08-2008, 03:36 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,732,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Taylor View Post
I'm so sick of reading praise for this feature over and over. Every library in this country now has an online reservation system. BIG DEAL!!
But they also have an online card catalog!

Old 07-08-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
Many of the people taking advantage of library resources are not those on the cutting edge who are digitally downloading their music and using on-demand on cable.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:41 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
Judging from the number of iPods and laptops in the library I frequent, I don't really believe that.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Judging from the number of iPods and laptops in the library I frequent, I don't really believe that.
Let me rephrase that -- the people who would take advantage of checking out DVDs and CDs are not the people on the cutting edge of downloading and pay-per-view.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:31 PM

305 posts, read 713,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
but they also have an online card catalog!
lol!!!

Old 07-09-2008, 03:14 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
The library is acceptable to most residents and operates as a good steward of our funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary