Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to North Carolina: Raleigh, exercise equipment, fitness center, rental, pharmacy tech.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:05 PM

8 posts, read 37,253 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have a few questions about Raleigh. I am a 23 year old who plans to move to Raleigh with my fiance in about a year. I have a few questions and hope you all can help. If you can answer one of, a few of, or all of these questions please feel free to offer your opinions.

1.) Does anyone have suggestions for an apartment in Raleigh? Looking for a nice apartment under good management in a safer area, preferably with a little night life nearby but this isn't mandatory (nothing crazy, maybe a couple nice bars within walking distance or something if possible), under $1000 a month is preferred, 2 bedroom/2 bathroom, allows small dogs, and I would really like a place that has a fitness center with cardio and weight training equipment.

2.) If anyone is from Pittsburgh can you tell me how it compares with regards to stuff to do, night life, cool shops, etc...

3.) Are there any good yoga studios that do hot yoga (ie yoga classes in a heated room)?

4.) I am visiting in September, what areas are really fun/cool/nice that I should go see that would really solidify my decision? (ie. what areas should I take pictures of to show my fiance since she cannot go during that visit haha)

5.) Does anyone have an opinion on CVS, Walgreens, Kerr Drug, or Rite Aid in the area? I will be working as a pharmacist and would be interested to see how people view these companies (please try to leave out individual incidents...I am just looking for ppl's overall view of these pharmacies such as how busy or understaffed they seem, if they seem to provide great or poor patient care, and how happy the pharmacists seem...)

6.) Any general advice you have for me or other thoughts you would like to throw out there?

Thanks, I look forward to hearing what you all have to offer!!!

-Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 07:43 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,107 times
.) Does anyone have suggestions for an apartment in Raleigh? Looking for a nice apartment under good management in a safer area, preferably with a little night life nearby but this isn't mandatory (nothing crazy, maybe a couple nice bars within walking distance or something if possible), under $1000 a month is preferred, 2 bedroom/2 bathroom, allows small dogs, and I would really like a place that has a fitness center with cardio and weight training equipment. That pretty much narrows down any apartment in Raleigh. I would key in near the Glenwood South section of downtown Raleigh. You can always check apartmentratings.com too for better recommendations.

3.) Are there any good yoga studios that do hot yoga (ie yoga classes in a heated room)? Yep! Birkham Hot Yoga is EXCELLENT!

4.) I am visiting in September, what areas are really fun/cool/nice that I should go see that would really solidify my decision? (ie. what areas should I take pictures of to show my fiance since she cannot go during that visit haha) Downtown Raleigh is pretty nice. The beach is two hours away from Raleigh, mountains are four hours away. There's alot to do in the area and just in the state in general. Plenty of shopping (if shes into that) and lots of great parks. I would just suggest driving around the city with your camera. Dont forget to share with the good folks on the board!

5.) Does anyone have an opinion on CVS, Walgreens, Kerr Drug, or Rite Aid in the area? I will be working as a pharmacist and would be interested to see how people view these companies (please try to leave out individual incidents...I am just looking for ppl's overall view of these pharmacies such as how busy or understaffed they seem, if they seem to provide great or poor patient care, and how happy the pharmacists seem...) Wow, really good question. I would say CVS & Walgreens. They seem to have a better benefit package if I remember correctly (a friend of mine applied).

6.) Any general advice you have for me or other thoughts you would like to throw out there? Just enjoy the area! I think once you start to explore Raleigh, you will find that one area that really appeals to you. Thats one of the nice things about Raleigh, its different in all areas across the city. I'm sure you will find something you will enjoy! If you have some downtime, check out the musuems. There is also a Raleigh website, I think if you google "Greater Raleigh" it will come up. It lists all the local stuff happening in the area. Also, if you're out, try to pick up a copy of the "Independant". You can usually find them in local bookstores and restaurants. Also a great resource for the area.

Good luck!

Old 07-09-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
.) Does anyone have suggestions for an apartment in Raleigh? Looking for a nice apartment under good management in a safer area, preferably with a little night life nearby but this isn't mandatory (nothing crazy, maybe a couple nice bars within walking distance or something if possible), under $1000 a month is preferred, 2 bedroom/2 bathroom, allows small dogs, and I would really like a place that has a fitness center with cardio and weight training equipment. That pretty much narrows down any apartment in Raleigh. I would key in near the Glenwood South section of downtown Raleigh. You can always check apartmentratings.com too for better recommendations.

3.) Are there any good yoga studios that do hot yoga (ie yoga classes in a heated room)? Yep! Birkham Hot Yoga is EXCELLENT!

4.) I am visiting in September, what areas are really fun/cool/nice that I should go see that would really solidify my decision? (ie. what areas should I take pictures of to show my fiance since she cannot go during that visit haha) Downtown Raleigh is pretty nice. The beach is two hours away from Raleigh, mountains are four hours away. There's alot to do in the area and just in the state in general. Plenty of shopping (if shes into that) and lots of great parks. I would just suggest driving around the city with your camera. Dont forget to share with the good folks on the board!

5.) Does anyone have an opinion on CVS, Walgreens, Kerr Drug, or Rite Aid in the area? I will be working as a pharmacist and would be interested to see how people view these companies (please try to leave out individual incidents...I am just looking for ppl's overall view of these pharmacies such as how busy or understaffed they seem, if they seem to provide great or poor patient care, and how happy the pharmacists seem...) Wow, really good question. I would say CVS & Walgreens. They seem to have a better benefit package if I remember correctly (a friend of mine applied).

6.) Any general advice you have for me or other thoughts you would like to throw out there? Just enjoy the area! I think once you start to explore Raleigh, you will find that one area that really appeals to you. Thats one of the nice things about Raleigh, its different in all areas across the city. I'm sure you will find something you will enjoy! If you have some downtime, check out the musuems. There is also a Raleigh website, I think if you google "Greater Raleigh" it will come up. It lists all the local stuff happening in the area. Also, if you're out, try to pick up a copy of the "Independant". You can usually find them in local bookstores and restaurants. Also a great resource for the area.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply!!! Great suggestions! Also, unfortunately she does enjoy shopping...when I briefly looked into jobs in West Virginia (pay there for pharmacists can be pretty good) she didn't enjoy the fact that every single store we searched for there was not one franchise or outlet in WV. So she will be happy about the shopping lol. Thanks again!

More opinions are also welcome!

-Greg

Old 07-09-2008, 05:17 PM

450 posts, read 1,350,756 times
My dad is a pharmacist in Virginia, so I'm not sure how much all of this is worth, but based on my perceptions of his experiences, I would say Walgreen's and maybe Kerr Drug (no Kerrs in Va, so I have no opinion) over CVS or Rite Aid (dad worked at Revco/CVS for 20+ years). I also have the impression that pharmacists at Target, Kroger and Harris Teeter (grocery store) seem happier/less stressed (and maybe even better hours). Wal-Mart, however, would be worse (Dad gave that a try too). I will say my dad is finally at a locally-owned pharmacy, and is by far the happiest he's been in 30 years - busier, but happier.

Last edited by FVmommy; 07-09-2008 at 06:44 PM..

Old 07-09-2008, 10:04 PM

Thanks for another suggestion!

For everyone else, keep them coming! I really appreciate any information!

Old 07-10-2008, 06:34 AM

473 posts, read 1,517,785 times
As for the apartment - I am in love with Colonial Grand at Crabtree. You can easily get what you are looking for - pet friendly with a doggy obstacle course, tennis courts, gym, pool - all for around $900. It's in NW Raleigh, between Crabtree Valley Mall and Brier Creek. There's a very big variety of stores and restaurants up and down Glenwood and Creedmore/Lynn areas.

Good luck!

Oh - and I like Walgreen's. They are clean, roomy, and convenient. Good staff, too. Always very helpful pharmacists.

CVS makes you carry a damn card to get sales items, and Kerr's are harder to find, so I don't go there often.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:26 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Since we are the capital city, you might also look into some state jobs as a pharmacist--the Dept of Health & Human services hires pharmacists often, to manage drug plans, etc. and I know they make in the 6 figures. There are also MANY biotech companies at RTP that deal with drugs and drug trials. They might require a certain amount of experience first, though.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:45 PM

64 posts, read 170,549 times
Default Apartments

Good luck with your move! I just recently moved from a house to an apartment after doing some very thorough research in the same price range you are looking at. The one I chose is called Camden Overlook, which is across the road from the Crabtree area, which is quite populated with good shopping, entertainment, and restaurants.

Pros (No, I do not work for the complex, I promise. I'm in medical software):
- Very well appointed apartment. Cabinetry is white with modern hardware in kitchen and baths. Flooring in kitchen and bath is stylish ceramic tile. Electric fireplaces, which is good for an apartment. Kitchen appliances are clean and good quality. Over-the-stove microwave (mine was brand new). Countertops are a textured faux granite that look nice.
- Great community areas! There are two pools - one is heated - and a large stone fireplace and two built-in community gas grills in pool area. Nice lounge furniture (they definitely spent on that). Large and well-furnished workout facility and aerobics room (and free classes to go with it) and a play area for kids while you work out. Also, a half-court indoor basketball court (not a crappy one, either). Very nice clubhouse.
- Large bathrooms and closets. Master bath has an oversized garden tub with dual vanities.
- Large laundry room (not a closet, thank God), which is situated away from the bedrooms.
- Rooms have large windows. (Blinds are rather cheap, but....)
- Attentive management staff. They have been really nice to me and my son.
- Very quick to deal with punch list and other maintenance items. Examples: When I first moved in, the bathroom tile was that old white stuff that you see in convenience store bathrooms. The 2nd bath had a stain where someone's mat had been. Both bathrooms' tile was replaced with the new tile I described above within two days of turning in my punch list. Also, I noticed that the basketball rim had become severely bent (Even though it was a good breakaway rim. Nice dunk.). I went back three days later, and there was a new rim!
- Large patios! I can seat 7-8 people (if I had the chairs).
- 9' ceilings.
- Textured off-white walls and ceilings. You can't believe how much better this makes it look than stark white. They allow painting.
- Some buildings have attached garages, while detached are available. I got an attached, and they are large! I even have room for lots of storage even though I have a full size sedan.
- Safe area.
- Basic cable included in rent (this may be a con if you want satellite, which they frown on, but you are allowed to have it).
- Allows pets!

Cons:
- Smallish apartments, but about average for area. Mine is a $933 (+$100 for garage) 1080 sq ft, 2 bed, 2 bath. The only real places where space is tight are in the living room and master bedroom.
- Second bath has only a shower. I added this to cons only because I have a young son who gets a bath rather than a shower, so he has to bathe in my tub.
- Although I've never heard anything from my neighbors through the walls, the noise from footsteps upstairs and the sliding glass door upstairs is a pain. I don't think it is worse than most of the other apartments I've lived in, but it's noticable. To solve this, you'd have to live on the third floor, which I wasn't willing to do.
- Mail areas are not centralized at the entrances to the complex, so you have to walk or drive out of your way to get the mail.
- Other than a decent Food Lion, the closest grocery store is about 3 miles away.

What is nearby:
- Walking distance to the nicest mall in the area (Crabtree Valley Mall). The North Hills shopping area is about 2 miles away, and Glenwood Ave has a ton of stores. Parking can be rough at the mall, and Christmas traffic will be a bear, but there are ways to avoid it.
- Very nice restaurants. Fast food and mid-priced restaurants also close.
- Shelley Lake, which is a small lake with paddle-boats, kids play area, and a 1 1/2 mile greenway, is about 2 miles away. Great for dogs!
- A bunch of bars and nightclubs within 5 miles.
- 8-10 miles from downtown.
- 3 miles from RBC center (concerts, Hurricanes hockey, and NC State B-ball).

Let me know if you need more info about my area!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:16 PM

bump

just wanted to hear more opinions if any has them...

Old 07-17-2008, 01:55 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
From a customer view, CVS is the worst pharmacy in town.

Constant out of stocks, rude employees, slow service.

Walgreen's has treated me much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary