Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 09:17 AM

6 posts, read 21,255 times

Advertisements

I currently live in So. Fla. (Miami), and as so many of you, have been seriously considering relocating to NC - Raleigh area. My husband and I are looking to simplify life a bit, reduce our cost of living, and just start fresh in a new place. Miami is great, but I don't want to live here all my life. We have been researching for a while. Started with central FL, then looked in Ga, and now are looking in NC. I am a high school teacher and he is self-employed (automotive performance/tuning - travels out of the country a lot). I do have some questions and would appreciate it if those of you who can answer them, please do. So, here it goes:

1. What is the main difference between N. Raleigh (Wake Forest/Rolesville/Falls Lake) area and the South - Apex/Cary area?

2. How do you feel about what is happening with the Wake County school system and the Year-Round/Reassignment issue? How do you like year-round school?

3. How are South Floridians perceived?
4. Are Hispanics welcomed?

Feel free to be honest. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2006, 10:37 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,214,223 times
well, i wasnt going to answer your question since i am not familar with that area, but i am originally from s fla.

i can answer 2 of your questions though: there are probably some floridians in that part of the state, but i know there are some here in the western part of the state. the good news is that there are some floridians living here, so you can probably make friends with them. with the natives, we "floridians" are not the most liked ppl in the area. locals think floridians are always trying to change things and make it more like home. but hey, atleast you are not from ny (which is probably the worst to them).

as far as hispanics goes, well there certainly isnt the number of hispanics here in nc as fla, but i will warn you (sort of).: many ppl here in nc classify all hispanics as mexicans, whether you are PR, cuban, etc... it doesnt seem to matter --- to many natives, you are mexican.

sidenote: i am not trying to be critical in my posts, i simply state what i have observed. i am just trying to answer the question truthfully. and of course not everyone thinks this way, but many do.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:48 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,644 times
My grandson is just finishing 8th grade and must go back to a regular 9/3 month schedule and is dreading it. My daughter and son in law are campaigning vigorously for high schools to go year around. They love the year around thing. They call it cycling. As fast as Raleigh is growing it would make sense to use the schools year around.
Raleigh is hot as heck in the summer. Give a look at Greensboro NC or Greenville SC. Maybe even Charlotte which is growing like a weed.
There are a bunch of Floridians moving to western NC who have had it with the hurricanes.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:24 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
The year prospect of year round schools and the current reality of drastic reassignment plans is really starting to get to people here. Esepecially natives and people who have lived here for a long time. The difference between N. Raleigh/Wake Forrest and S. Raleigh/Cary/Apex that I notice the most is that the southern areas are a little more "established". They have a higher concentration of native North Carolinians and tend to have a mix of new construction as well was pre-1990's. Where as in North Raleigh/Wake Forrest, almost everyone is a transplant and most of the area was empty up until 10 years ago and is now being built up way faster than SW Wake County. The generalization for S. Wake county fades as you head closer to Cary. Cary is by far the most "yankeefied" town in NC. But is however, more established and not building as much right now. They are mostly "old transplants" like me, who have been here for at least 10 years or so.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:32 PM

11 posts, read 36,780 times
Default New Yorker's

Why are NYer's the worst to NCer's. We don't all come from NYC. Never been there and have no desire to go there!

Old 06-01-2006, 07:08 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueb
Why are NYer's the worst to NCer's. We don't all come from NYC. Never been there and have no desire to go there!
True, and not all North Carolinians live in the Charlotte or Raleigh Metro areas either. There's much more to North Carolina than those two cities. Pass the word.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-01-2006 at 07:28 PM..

Old 06-01-2006, 07:16 PM

26 posts, read 82,460 times
seems every area and people group have sterotypes they must endure - tis the human condition I guess

Old 06-01-2006, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henayneiCLNC
seems every area and people group have sterotypes they must endure - tis the human condition I guess
You're the 2nd person I've run across from Ashe County! My brother is the first.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:42 PM

26 posts, read 82,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
You're the 2nd person I've run across from Ashe County! My brother is the first.
can't righteously claim the honor that much - have only been here since end of Feb But glad to be in good company!

Old 06-01-2006, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henayneiCLNC
can't righteously claim the honor that much - have only been here since end of Feb But glad to be in good company!
He doesn't live in the big city like you do. He's in the woods off of Highway 16 between Jefferson and Grassy Creek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary