Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 07:25 PM

551 posts, read 575,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh2nc View Post
i often feel like the joke is on me and cary is the truman show....
i love the truman show!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 08:54 AM

294 posts, read 829,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBean View Post
Speaking as someone who moved to Cary from Massachusetts, I can explain what is attractive about the area:

1. The cost of living is less. (lower heating costs, less gas due to shorter commute, lower house values)

2. The "convinience factor". Cary offers the charm of a New England town but the convieniences of a city. Parts of New England are very inconvienient in terms of shopping, restaurants and kids activities. In Cary, you have all of that on every corner.

3. The "Truman Show Appeal". I realize this is a turnoff for many but for a New Englander where many things are older, parking is tough, conjestion is prominent and the weather is awful for 1/2 the year, Cary is super attractive. The planned aspect of the area is in stark contrast to a lot of New England and while the "unplanned" nature of New England can be charming; it does not always lend itself to the most convinient lifestyle.

4. Weather - A no-brainer

5. Better family atmosphere. New England has a great city with Boston, beaches of Cape Cod and RI, mountains of Vermont, etc. but you can't live and work in most of those places due to cost or lack of jobs. As a result, you probably live in a crowded suburb with not a lot to do for kids on an average weekend. This area embraces family activity and supports it with the number of great parks, communities with pools, a school system that acts like they care and an overall sense of family that you don't always get in New England.

6. Stuck in their ways. I lived in New England for 38 years and while it will always be my home, I don't get the same sense of growth and excitement over the community that I feel here in Cary. Growth here is embraced to a certain degree and worked on collectively between developers, town officials and citizens. In New England, to open up a coffee shop, it seems like you need to go through endless hearings, paperwork and other roadblocks; like your ambition and ideas are looked down upon..unless of course, you can pay someone off!

Anyway, that is my 2 cents
as a Mass native, you know how grumpy us NH folks are about our freedoms (darn red state with a NASCAR track weirdos).....

you're 100% right...so many New Englanders love it here.....I remember taking my New Hampshire family through Sunset Ridge....they thought it was weird people waved and smiled to total strangers.....by the end of their four day visit....they were waving to everyone.....even kids wearing all red in Durham......

now that's wicked cool!

go sox!

Old 07-11-2008, 09:01 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,734,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NC View Post
now that's wicked cool!
I have noticed a serious lack of proper use of the term "wicked" down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary