Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 08:13 PM

50 posts, read 196,167 times

Advertisements

OK. This is a long shot -- but worth the time to ask.

My husband has potential job offer in the Durham area as an "operations manager" for an installation company. He is currently a union carpenter in NY.

In order to pursue the job, he needs to supply a resume (which he doesn't have) and visit the NC area. The resume can be done, but the visit is a time consuming, costly adventure from NY.

How can we find out a ball-park figure on what this position would pay without asking the salary? I heard you should never discuss salary until at least the second interview. But like I said, coming from NY, we cannot afford to waste time or money going to NC for interviews that may not even be worth it in the end.

Is there anyone out there that would have any clue as to the approx. salary for such a postion? A range at all? It is an established company with a good cliental (not a fly-by-night company).

Any info. you could give would be much appreciated. Can't see us going through the motions only to find the pay isn't what we need it to be.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 08:30 PM

83 posts, read 335,587 times
My opinion is if the company is serious about your husband as a candidate, they should be willing to talk money up front. Most times, companies will ask your current salary with the hidden understanding that they are going to need to offer 15-20% more in order to attract you.

I have bounced around quite a bit in my young career and have gotten more accustomed to the process. If it's bothering you, I would suggest prior to making the visit there is an understanding of the range in pay involved and if there is a limitation from where your husband is currently. They know how important it is. At the end of the day, that's usually what makes or breaks a hire.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:43 PM

551 posts, read 574,943 times
$75k to $100k

Old 07-11-2008, 04:39 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In & Out View Post
$75k to $100k
I was going to say the same thing. I have a co-worker whose fiance is the same and he gets 100k but that is for specialty installation. Good luck.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:55 AM

50 posts, read 196,167 times
Default Thank you all...

If you are correct in your assumptions, that is a good thing. But sounds like it is OK for us to ask about salary considering where we are coming from.

Thank you everyone --

Old 07-11-2008, 08:40 AM

550 posts, read 1,486,512 times
Why isn't the company willing to foot the bill for the interview? If they can afford to pay that kind of money, they should be willing to pay for him to come down. This is a red flag, IMO. That company is probably too cheap to pay him the kind of money you're looking for.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:50 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,020,688 times
While I don't agree with starla that not paying for the interview is a sign that this is a bad company, but it is absolutely NOT a bad thing to discuss money.

Having not seen your husband's resume, they may have no idea what they'd pay him and give you a non-helpful range (i.e. 50-125k)

I am a recruiter, so my opinion is at least slightly professionally founded.

My questions are:

1) How can he almost have a job offer without even having supplied a resume
2) How can he almost have a job offer if you aren't even on the "second" interview where he would have discussed money?
3) Have you confirmed that the interview is not going to be covered?
4) How did you find this opportunity in the first place? I ask because it seems unlikely, if your husband has no resume, that he "applied" unless through an online form...so if he was contacted by the company or found through a referral only, then he is likely in a better negotiating position or at least a stronger position so he doesn't have to walk on eggshells by avoiding salary discussions. Typically salary discussion avoidance is mostly to benefit the CANDIDATE, not the employer. Employers want to know up front if they can afford a candidate, if not they won't bother.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:05 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,395 times
If you really want to move to this area and the interview with this company isn't time sensitive (i.e., it doesn't have to be done next week), then I'd suggest trying to get several companies lined up to visit. Simply calling and arranging an introductory meeting might do the trick in a lot of areas.

Get the resume done ASAP!

You've probably gathered this from other threads, but a lot of employers in NC are extremely slow moving, so use that to your advantage.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:44 AM

286 posts, read 994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexguy View Post
My opinion is if the company is serious about your husband as a candidate, they should be willing to talk money up front. Most times, companies will ask your current salary with the hidden understanding that they are going to need to offer 15-20% more in order to attract you.

I have bounced around quite a bit in my young career and have gotten more accustomed to the process. If it's bothering you, I would suggest prior to making the visit there is an understanding of the range in pay involved and if there is a limitation from where your husband is currently. They know how important it is. At the end of the day, that's usually what makes or breaks a hire.

I agree. I made the mistake of traveling here for an interview with a company that was offering a horrible salary that I could not live on. They knew I was traveling and should have discussed salary with me beforehand. Ask!

Old 07-11-2008, 09:58 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,204 times
Some companies only look local. They are not interested in paying to move someone, and by the same token aren't going to pay to fly people in to interview. This can be especially true when a company knows people are anxious to move here, and if the local talent pool is wide enough to meet their needs anyway.

But a company should be willing to talk ballpark money figures up front, especially if you are footing the bill to travel here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary