Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 04:51 PM

176 posts, read 645,634 times

Advertisements

I saw a big, scary looking spider in Duke Forest today.
Unfortunately I didn't have my camera handy to take a picture. Does anybody know what kind of spider is large, black, and looks like a hairless tarantula (only a bit smaller in size)? I thought it was too big to be a black widow and the legs were maybe not long enough, but maybe it was? I tried to flip it over with a stick to see if it was a black widow, but the darned thing was so aggressive it struck hard biting at the stick, and then latched on to it! Needless to say, I dropped the stick because I was freaked out. Any ideas what it could have been?

I also nearly stepped on a baby copperhead while running on the Tobacco Trail. Geesh! I'm thinking I should stay out of the woods the rest of today... :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 05:21 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Any of these?

NCSU: ENT/ort-137 Common Spiders in the Landscape

Old 07-12-2008, 05:44 PM

Yes!!! It looked like a Trap Door Spider! No wonder it looked like a tarantula. It's related!
Thanks!

Old 07-12-2008, 06:02 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,645 times
That website makes my scalp tingle!

JUMPING SPIDER?
"They are fast moving and active hunters that can be found in many places in the landscape. They don't use webs and stalk prey as a cat does."

Old 07-12-2008, 06:04 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntchanga View Post
Yes!!! It looked like a Trap Door Spider! No wonder it looked like a tarantula. It's related!
Thanks!
Yikes! Glad it didn't drag you into a tunnel!

"Trap door spiders live in a small tunnel in the ground covered by a silken trap door. There they wait until prey passes by. At that time they spring from their hidding place and drag the prey down into the tunnel."

Old 07-12-2008, 10:35 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
Oh man I am sorry I read this thread but now that I did I can't stop! I seen a lot of these spiders and now I know what they are.....lucky me! In the words of Austin Powers....right! Yuck!

Old 07-12-2008, 11:12 PM

305 posts, read 713,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntchanga View Post
The Critters Are Out!!!

Watch out for them chigger bites.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:15 AM

Suncat--

"Yikes! Glad it didn't drag you into a tunnel!
Trap door spiders live in a small tunnel in the ground covered by a silken trap door. There they wait until prey passes by. At that time they spring from their hidding place and drag the prey down into the tunnel."

Yeah! Me too! Good thing I had a big breakfast so was a little too heavy for it to pull me into its snare! The thing seemed just about big enough to drag my cat down there though! :-)

Luckily no chigger bites yet! I did live in central and southern Africa for several years so had to deal with no see-ums, bot flies, bilharzia, giardia, black mambas, puff adders, king cobras... I could go on, but am freaking myself out reliving the memories. I thought I escaped those things when I came back to the U.S.! Little did I know...

Old 07-13-2008, 10:32 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
The "critters' in NC still amaze me. I've lived here my whole and I STILL encounter bugs I've never seen before!

Old 07-13-2008, 11:11 AM

55 posts, read 87,394 times
Dear Iamishra,
You are absolutely scarring me to death! Are there a lot of bugs that bite and snakes? I live in NJ and plan to move but can't imagine all these things. Am I a bit silly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary