Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 06:55 AM

850 posts, read 3,624,898 times

Advertisements

We bought the kids' new bedroom sets at Rooms to Go. As others have said, quality is OK. Try Home comfort (and you can negotiate! I went in with a printed copy of the LR set I wanted that I found online and they met the price for us (I was careful not to pull it out until after they had quoted us a price).

Also, I can't say ENOUGH about Craigslist! We actually went ahead and sold one of those RTG kids' bedroom sets as it really didn't fit my younger son's smaller room. And then we bought a wood captain's bed set in near perfect condition for $400 (solid wood).

I also bought a near perfect condition GORGEOUS Ethan Allen walnut DR set that includes table with 2 leaves, 6 chairs with upholstered seats, china cabinet and heat tempered server all for $1200!!

I was the first responder in both cases above but I've seen many other fabulous deals on items I wished we needed!

Lauren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 07:11 AM

70 posts, read 295,786 times
We have bought lots of our furniture from rtg and I am happy with most. They even call after it's delivered and ask if you are happy. Can't beat that

Old 07-13-2008, 07:41 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
I will also second Craigslist - if you know your manufacturers. We found a Stanley solid mahogany bedroom for our guestroom from a woman who was downsizing in Preston Country Club....dresser, armoire and 2 nighttables for 1600 in near perfect condidtion....new would have been close to 15K.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:35 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
With most new furniture being garbage from Asia, a good used set is many times a better value.

Instead of replacing it with trash, we paid AAA upholstery $837 to reupholster a unique Mitchell Gold upholstered rocker in top quality commercial rated materials.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:49 AM

492 posts, read 1,151,612 times
We've bought family room furniture from Rooms 2 Go twice in the last 12yrs. No problems at all, either with the goods or service. They do have some cheap stuff, just know what you're looking at and you can find the better stuff. If you like to get new furniture every 4-5yrs and not feel guilty, Rms 2 Go is good for that. I like that its inexpensive, I don't have to commit to a style for decades and they run very long no interest deals. We've bought leather pieces and some are 7-8yrs old and look and feel great still, one being a recliner that gets heavy use. We've never had any customer service issues and we changed an order at the last minute last time, handled it smoothly. Delivery was uneventful and I haven't rec'd any damaged pieces.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:42 AM

217 posts, read 553,947 times
Thank you for your responses. I looked up furnitureland south and there prices look good. Do you know if they sell sets? I'd rather buy a bedroom set (bed, dresser, night tables) all in one package as well as a dining room set (table and chairs) and also a living room set (sofa, love seat, chair). If you can let me know what other places there are I would really appreciate it. Thanks again.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:10 PM

718 posts, read 2,972,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Although many people love it and it came highly recommended, I found Furnitureland South totally overwhelming with high prices. Sofas for over 2K.....bedrooms well over 10K. I found a gorgeous sofa in Cooper's, made in NC, 8 way hand tied coils. Retailed for 3K, got in on sale for $1300. My dad was in the furniture business (long retired) so I usually call him from the stores to check out quality of pieces I'm considering.

I purchased a couch (queen Sofa bed) for 500.00, a beautiful all wood dining room (8) chairs and a marble top buffet for 2500.00, a large dresser for 400.00 and that wasn't in the clearence center. You need to have a sales rep help you. Walking in on your own is overwhelming. The prices on the merch is also not what you pay, which is why a salesperson comes in handy.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:14 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
I purchased a couch (queen Sofa bed) for 500.00, a beautiful all wood dining room (8) chairs and a marble top buffet for 2500.00, a large dresser for 400.00 and that wasn't in the clearence center. You need to have a sales rep help you. Walking in on your own is overwhelming. The prices on the merch is also not what you pay, which is why a salesperson comes in handy.
Wow! You're right, I didn't have anyone helping me. i should have brought you along!

Old 07-13-2008, 03:15 PM

718 posts, read 2,972,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gez137 View Post
Thank you for your responses. I looked up furnitureland south and there prices look good. Do you know if they sell sets? I'd rather buy a bedroom set (bed, dresser, night tables) all in one package as well as a dining room set (table and chairs) and also a living room set (sofa, love seat, chair). If you can let me know what other places there are I would really appreciate it. Thanks again.
Yes they sell sets or piece by piece. Your best bet is to make a appointment with a sales person and they will take you around. They are VERY low pressure, but extremely helpful.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:10 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
I don't care for the furniture at RTG. It's too expensive for the quality. I'd go to Ashley or even Big Lots before them. I like to buy furniture off craigslist. The quality is much better and people sell it for a fraction of what you pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary