Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 10:00 PM

551 posts, read 572,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilligan View Post
Cons:

No In & Out
Wait a minute. I am here. How can you say I am not here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 10:37 PM

25 posts, read 57,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithiekat View Post
When you do. . . let me knoW!
I'm flying out next Wednesday to the triangle to scout Chapel Hll/Cary/Carrboro. I can pack some sandwiches with me. Just let me know form where and how many

Old 07-19-2008, 01:46 AM

38 posts, read 163,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMBERRRR View Post
I actually just visited my relatives back in San Jose, so I can give you the picky version of what Raleigh doesn't have:

1. Sourdough bread (bring some with you because you won't find good San Francisco style sourdough bread anywhere)
2. Gallo Salami (bring that with you too because you don't even want to have Salami on your pizza because it is just lacking the flavor of Gallo)
3. Mother's cookies (oddly enough, they don't sell them here)
4. See's Candies (only available on the West Coast, but you can order it online)
5. Chevy's (they just have the best fajitas)
6. Semi-logical school system (we bus kids 45 minutes to get to some of their schools in Wake County and have them on the insane block schedule, which is fine for high achieving students, but really hurts those who struggle in school and the lack of alternative schools for those who are really not interested in being in a regular classroom setting)
7. Small, clean and tasty Taquerias (there are a few, but not like there were in CA, one on practically every corner)
8. Carpool lane and mass transit (no Bart, no light-rail, the bus system isn't really even comparable to that in the Bay Area)
9. Beach nearby with hotels to stay in (people only rent houses here, there are very few hotels and motels compared to Santa Cruz, which is a positive and a negative)
10. Fresh, reasonably priced seafood (in the general grocery stores, you can pretty much only purchase seafood from the counter, there aren't any packages to buy like you can with meat, and you can't find really fresh seafood in the restaurants)
11. Fences and backyards that are landscaped where you sit and hang out (backyards typically consist of a BBQ and grass...nothing else)
12. Jamba Juice (someone really needs to open a franchise here!)

I really miss all of those things, but I have to say, as I sat in Chevy's while visiting CA last week eating my tasty spicy shrimp fajitas (mmm) I still said to myself, I can't wait to get home to NC. It's green, it's beautiful, it's quiet, I don't feel claustrophobic, I can walk slowly through the grocery store and not get run over, I have a nice beautiful home that I never would have dreamed of affording back in CA with a huge backyard, and open land everywhere instead of three-story condominiums and houses built right on top of each other. Overall, I think it's a better way of life here. Also, I'm atheist too and a teacher and my students sometimes ask me what religion I am, but no one has asked me which church I go to and I've been here a year now. I have also found that the lack of In N Out doesn't bother me since I found Five Guys (way better fries too). =)

If anyone has any suggestions on finding comparable items to my above list, I would be forever grateful to hear them. =)
Southpoint Mall has a See's cart during the holidays and there is a Jamba Juice on the UNC campus. Also, I recall there being a small Mexican restaurant in Carborro that is run by several bay area natives. I want to say Cosmic Cantina but that may be wrong. You got me on the Mother's cookies. I love those frosted animals!

Old 07-19-2008, 08:54 PM

3 posts, read 7,404 times
Default Pros and Cons of the Raleigh/Cary Area

PROS
Friendly people
Beautiful, lush greenery
Dramatic Storms... makes you feel Alive!!! (unlike in Calif, where it's just sunny all the time)
Lower cost of homes
Beautiful homes!
Lower cost of gas (compare it to CA prices, and you'll know what I mean)
Plenty of shopping
Plenty of well-educated people

CONS
Lack of sidewalks and crosswalks .... this state, or at least the Triangle, is woefully behind in being pedestrian and bike friendly. It's very spotty.

Lack of good restaurants... I'm sure there are some here, but even the ones with great atmosphere don't have nearly as good of food as you can commonly find in CA.... I don't know why, and I don't like it, but for some reason the food is bland here. Please give me suggestions on where to find tasty, flavorful food in the Triangle... I want to believe it is here! I love it here and I want to find good food!
No ocean or mountains nearby
Humidity
Biting insects
Bad drivers.... I have seen some of the worst drivers here. They tailgate, they don't use turn signals... it's a real free-for-all.
To much redistricting in the Wake County school system

Old 07-19-2008, 09:03 PM

3 posts, read 7,404 times
Default Oh, and some restaurants/stores that I miss!

Restaurants:
In-N-Out
Islands
Ruby's
Yard House
GOOD Mexican restaurants
GOOD sushi restaurants

Stores:
IKEA (I know there will be one in Charlotte in '09, but there isn't one in Raleigh. They're a dime a dozen in CA.)
BEV Mo! Oh, how I miss this liquor store! It was a drinker's nirvana! Absolutely every type of liquor/beer/wine you could want, plus mixers, plus snacks and just everything you'd need for a dinner party. I HATE the ABC Store thing here. I actually took a picture inside an ABC Store to send to friends. At first they thought I meant the type of ABC Stores they have in Hawaii. Oh no... much different thing here! They couldn't believe it. It's so antiquated how hard liquor is sold here.

Convenient car dealerships -- I don't have dealer service anywhere near my home... seems like there were many more dealerships where I could take my car for servicing in CA.

Please, no one take offense to anything stated above. I DO think this area has it all over CA... really. There are just a few missing stores and restaurants.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:07 PM

551 posts, read 572,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoors4me View Post
CONS
Lack of sidewalks and crosswalks .... this state, or at least the Triangle, is woefully behind in being pedestrian and bike friendly.

Really? I am in Cary. Everywhere I go there are sidewalks. I was amazed at how many there are. There are many bike trails also, but I do wish we had more. Ones that are not shared with the road.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:56 AM

17,538 posts, read 15,273,234 times
I miss HOBEE'S! Yes we have Brig's but NOTHING so far has beat HOBEE'S and their coffeecake.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:00 AM

17,538 posts, read 15,273,234 times
Actually I was just talking to a friend last night and I've lived in the Triangle now for 6+ years and while there are lots of things I do miss about the Bay Area I'm actually very content in NC and am glad I made the move when I did.

My last year living there (2001) was so hard, being out of work and the tech industry having gone bust, and having a huge mortgage to still pay and just coming up with goose eggs on the job front.

{shudder}

Old 07-20-2008, 09:53 AM

167 posts, read 565,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoors4me View Post
Restaurants:

GOOD sushi restaurants
I don't know where in the triangle you live, but as a former CA resident I highly recommend Shiki Sushi in Durham (on 54 across 40 from southpoint) or the brand spankin' new Sushi Love (right by duke hospital on erwin rd).

Old 07-20-2008, 10:03 AM

331 posts, read 1,307,786 times
We just moved from Pleasant Hill, California 4 weeks ago (for those that dont know where that is, about 30 miles east of SF) a little suburbia town of about 60,000 people. We are renting a house in North Raleigh. So far, we LOVE it here.

Pros:
It is so green here. Trees everywhere, beautiful tree lined streets everywhere!
The beach - you can actually swim in the water here (the ocean in Nor. Cal. is freezing!)
Gas prices are definitely lower
Definitely slower pace of life here - that is what I was hoping for
Very friendly people everywhere!
Amazing lightening storms

Cons:
Very spread out city! Just not used to it yet!
BIG bugs
No Jamba Juice
No In n Out

Well thats all I can think of so far. I love living in North Raleigh because I am so close to everything yet our house is located on this beautiful tree lined street that makes you feel like you are far away from the hustle and bustle. Hard to believe that the mall is only 1/2 mile away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary