U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 04:56 PM

25 posts, read 53,054 times

Advertisements

My wife and I seriously considering making the move to Chapel Hill and would love to hear some feedback from those who have made the move already. Even if you moved there from California in general, not just San Francisco - I would love to hear some feedback.

What do you like about the area?
What do you dislike about the area?
If you could re-do the move, what would you do differently?

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 05:18 PM

13,538 posts, read 12,458,113 times
{ raises hand }

I've lived in the Triangle for 6+ years now. 4 in Raleigh and 2 now in Cary.

I moved here from the Bay Area (nearly 20 years...16 in SF and the last 3 in Redwood City).

it's so pretty
slower pace
trees, trees, and more trees!
more affordable real estate
people are generally friendly
lots of people here from other places
traffic is more sane

dislikes:

not as many companies or jobs (for me, anyway)
lower salary
I miss all the SF restaurants and fantastic variety/quality of ethnic food
not as liberal
single and 40+, so it's a bit hard to be surrounded by married folk w/kids
Further from the water--I was spoiled having both the bay and the ocean within 40 min.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
{ raises hand }

I've lived in the Triangle for 6+ years now. 4 in Raleigh and 2 now in Cary.

I moved here from the Bay Area (nearly 20 years...16 in SF and the last 3 in Redwood City).

it's so pretty
slower pace
trees, trees, and more trees!
more affordable real estate
people are generally friendly
lots of people here from other places
traffic is more sane

dislikes:

not as many companies or jobs (for me, anyway)
lower salary
I miss all the SF restaurants and fantastic variety/quality of ethnic food
not as liberal
single and 40+, so it's a bit hard to be surrounded by married folk w/kids
Further from the water--I was spoiled having both the bay and the ocean within 40 min.
Thanks for the feedback. Couple of questions...

When you say not as liberal, what do you mean (concerns for me). I'm an atheist and don't like other's beliefs shoved down my throat. Would I be in trouble?

Food-wise I know it's hard to start comparing SF quality and variety of food to many other places, but are there good places to eat/dine out?

Water; the beaches are 2.5 hours away I'm told? And are there lakes and rivers where one can go tan or just frolic in the water?

Old 07-13-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatatrip View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Couple of questions...

When you say not as liberal, what do you mean (concerns for me). I'm an atheist and don't like other's beliefs shoved down my throat. Would I be in trouble?
I mean it's a bit more conservative. I've noticed a bit more racism and homophobia (mostly from people who are born/bred in the south). It's subtle, but I did notice it right away and obviously coming from a place like SF one would notice it. In SF I never really saw it. I'm not saying it didn't exist, but you saw everything there (and maybe even things you never wanted to see!) and I dunno...it seemed like people were more accepting/blase about differences.

This is a part of the bible belt, but no, I don't think you'll be in 'trouble.' I got asked a lot "what church do you go to" when I first moved here in '02. I would make up answers like, "I go to the church of the REDWOODS...we hug trees!...ya know....being from CA and all." Then I'd chuckle as they got this confused look on their face and slowly backed away. It doesn't come up anymore and it doesn't bother me. I was raised Jewish and am not practicing any religion and it's fine. I think you'd feel fine.

Quote:
Food-wise I know it's hard to start comparing SF quality and variety of food to many other places, but are there good places to eat/dine out?
Yes there are. What helped me find them is joining several meetup groups filled with foodies who enjoy trying different places. Lots of restaurants have opened since I moved here. But no, nothing is as fabulous as what I had access to in SF...it's just the way it is.

Quote:
Water; the beaches are 2.5 hours away I'm told? And are there lakes and rivers where one can go tan or just frolic in the water?
Yes.

I don't regret moving here AT.ALL. I purposely chose to relo here when I lost my job in 2001, spent 9 months looking in the Bay Area, and then had to sell my house and leave cause I couldn't afford to stay any longer. It took me a few years to get settled here as I had trouble landing a job and people were not impressed with my Silicon Valley background or education, as I had thought they would be. So until I landed and stuck it was hard for me (as a single person with no family or support system in place).

But it worked out and it's good.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:50 PM

551 posts, read 525,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatatrip View Post

Only once has anyone ever even talked to me about religion. That will not be an issue.

Yes, there are some really nice lakes around here for boating, fishing and general fun. Parks galore also.

I live in Cary and what I love about this town and the area:
  • Cary is picture perfect beautiful
  • Cary has a huge variety of home styles, both architecturally and color schemes
  • Cary is home to a high percentage of highly educated people. MASTER's & PhD's
  • Plenty of outdoor activities
  • Lots of parks
  • Wake County has VERY low property taxes
  • Cary provides an incredible quality of life
  • Ridiculously low cost of living
  • Tons of jobs. I will never have to worry about being out of work long
  • Really welcoming people
  • The best year round weather I have ever experienced
  • Quality built homes. They are much better built than the ones I have owned and seen up north
  • Lots of shopping & dining choices
  • Well planned growth
What I don't care for as much:
  • Mr. & Mrs. Easley

Old 07-14-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In & Out View Post
Only once has anyone ever even talked to me about religion. That will not be an issue.

Yes, there are some really nice lakes around here for boating, fishing and general fun. Parks galore also.

I live in Cary and what I love about this town and the area:
  • Cary is picture perfect beautiful
  • Cary has a huge variety of home styles, both architecturally and color schemes
  • Cary is home to a high percentage of highly educated people. MASTER's & PhD's
  • Plenty of outdoor activities
  • Lots of parks
  • Wake County has VERY low property taxes
  • Cary provides an incredible quality of life
  • Ridiculously low cost of living
  • Tons of jobs. I will never have to worry about being out of work long
  • Really welcoming people
  • The best year round weather I have ever experienced
  • Quality built homes. They are much better built than the ones I have owned and seen up north
  • Lots of shopping & dining choices
  • Well planned growth
What I don't care for as much:
  • Mr. & Mrs. Easley
Ha, I had to Google Easley's to find out what you're talking about - being from Cali and all

Also seems (based on some real estate photos) that Cary is a new-ish community compared to Chapel Hill so houses seem to be closer together? More of a planned community sort of a feel?

Thanks for the feedback though. Very helpful.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:05 AM

The new parts of Cary have houses that are fairly close together (depending on the community). The older parts (older = 15+ years) often have larger lot sizes. I purchased an older home (my house is now 20 yrs old) on 1/3 acre.

But one can find larger lots if desired.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:41 AM

32 posts, read 157,366 times
We're planning to relocate from Marin County (just north of the Golden Gate bridge). We've been looking at the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area or Wilmington. You might want to check out Carrboro. Came across a wonderful article about this unique town. After reading it I thought, "now I could live there -- it sounds great!"

We're leaning toward Wilmington area though since we want to have close proximity to the coast. Need to be near the ocean!

Good luck with your search and move!

Old 07-14-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawneel View Post
We're planning to relocate from Marin County (just north of the Golden Gate bridge). We've been looking at the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area or Wilmington. You might want to check out Carrboro. Came across a wonderful article about this unique town. After reading it I thought, "now I could live there -- it sounds great!"

We're leaning toward Wilmington area though since we want to have close proximity to the coast. Need to be near the ocean!

Good luck with your search and move!
We're just south of SF in Belmont. We looked at Wilmington but think that we need proximity to a big city for cultural reasons. Being at the beach is very appealing but those who know that town and know us said that we will be bored there. Plus the issue of dealing with hurricanes once in a while bothers me. Which is why we're looking more inland.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:17 AM

38 posts, read 157,254 times
I lived in the valley for 6 years before moving here. No place here compares to SF. Overall, the area is beautiful and really clean. That sound a little weird but you WILL notice how clean it is. the triangle itself is very spread out and much less congested. With that said, no matter what part of the bay area you are coming from, Chapel Hill most resembles it. It is a liberal educated town. Kinda like a mini Berkeley without Oakland next door (although some people seem to think that Durham is like Oakland). It has a lively walkable area. You will notice that there is not nearly as much diversity here though. Foodies love Chapel Hill. It has some of the finest restaurants in the country but sadly, no In & Out. Chapel Hill is one of the most expensive areas in the triangle and has the best school system in the state.

In my opinion, Cary is much more like OC. There are a lot of people trying to keep up with the Jonses. Everything seems newer and a bit more sophisticated there. Consider Durham as well. It has it's naysayers but many people love it there.

I love California but for me it's just too expensive to live comfortably. In CA everyone asks what gym you go to. Here the question is what church you go to. I had the same answer in both places. "I don't". Californians seemed more shocked by my answer than North Carolinians

Pros about the area:

Afforadable
Clean
Safe
Highly educated population
Four seasons
A short drive to the mountains (love Asheville), the beach, D.C.

Cons:

No In & Out
Some feel that the pace is a little too slow and a bit too homogenous.
Nothing compares to the view from the headlands.
Bugs

Come visit and see for yourself. In the end, everything said here is just somone else's opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary