Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2008, 05:16 PM

312 posts, read 1,906,540 times

Advertisements

My son is currently involved with three baseball teams at a same time: Little League, Little League All-Star, and our town's 12 & under traveling competitive team.

Now, with the traveling competitive baseball team that my son involves all year round, we are not happy with the way his coach set his team up: my son rarely played. What does that mean? Does it mean my son isn't good enough to play? I wouldn't think so because several other players are awful and they still play instead of bench.

I believe that the more my son benched, the less skill he will learn on the field. What should I do? My son looks unhappy, even though he's a good batter. I don't know what to do? Make him leave that team and join a different team?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 09:31 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,767,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeprincess View Post
My son is currently involved with three baseball teams at a same time: Little League, Little League All-Star, and our town's 12 & under traveling competitive team.

Now, with the traveling competitive baseball team that my son involves all year round, we are not happy with the way his coach set his team up: my son rarely played. What does that mean? Does it mean my son isn't good enough to play? I wouldn't think so because several other players are awful and they still play instead of bench.

I believe that the more my son benched, the less skill he will learn on the field. What should I do? My son looks unhappy, even though he's a good batter. I don't know what to do? Make him leave that team and join a different team?
Whew! That's a whole lot of baseball and alot of teams. I'm tired for you just thinking about!!!

I guess first I would talk to my son and try to find out what he is unhappy about. And try to address that. If he's unhappy about not getting enough playing time then I'd talk to the coach and find out if playing time is based on ability. And if so what my child needed to do to improve to get more playing time. And ask for concrete suggestions to help my child improve. I'd also get a commitment from the coach that if my child met certain expectations then he would be given more playing time. If you feel that your child is as good as some kids that already play then I'd ask the coach about that too. Find out what the other kid is doing to get playing time.

If this is traveling team their is a level of financial commitment on your part too. I'd explain to the coach if he was not able to work with you to help your child improve enough to get playing time then it's not worth your financial investment and you'll have to find a better fit for your child.

Also, if you feel like the coach isn't receptive, go to the league or whoever is above the coach.

My son only plays rec baseball but after every game and practice my first question is "did you have fun?" Because that's the thing I care about most for him. If it's fun, you'll learn. If it's fun you'll want to make it into a life long activity. If it's not fun, help him figure out how it can be fun again and help him make that happen.

Good luck!!! And I hope it becomes fun for you again too!!

Old 07-14-2008, 06:06 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,350,411 times
It is very hard to determine if your son is good enough or not from what you provided. Obviously he likes to play baseball if he is involved in so many leagues. However there are many factors that contribute to the amount the child plays. here are some to consider:

1. The age of the child as it relates to the team. Is he younger than the others?
2. Your Son's experience in the position he is playing.
3. Does your Son play a position that more experienced boys do and is he willing
to change the position in order to get more playing time.
4. Ask the coach where he sees your Son as it relates to the team. If in the teams
depth chart he is say #12 o n a 14 team roster that will be your answer. From
that you can determine what skills your Son needs to improve upon to move you
Son up the team debt chart.
5. Is your Son giving 100% effort at practice and games? That you can get from
your Son just be watching him.

Travel teams are competitive teams the nature of them focuses on winning. This is also true as your child moves up into JR. High and High School teams. Not every child plays, are they any less of a player for not starting or playing a lot. No, it still takes a TEAM to win a TEAM sport. The key for the bench players is to be motivated and ready to contribute when called upon. If they do they move up the depth chart and can usually find a way to get more playing time, if they don't than they cannot give up, they just have to stay positive and try harder. They have to believe that good things will come with hard work and positive attitude!

Good luck and have your Son hang in there, if not find another team.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:07 AM

4 posts, read 29,843 times
honestly i would only play on one team at time so your son doesnt get so much ware and tare on his arm and if you r unhappy with your sons playing time than i would look at finding a different team

Old 03-22-2009, 06:50 AM

446 posts, read 1,395,621 times
Feel bad for your situation...been there. Some coaches run a better program than others. Just tell your boy to handle himself with respect and be ready when called on. How does he practice? Does he have his game face on when on the field?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary