Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:19 AM

847 posts, read 3,522,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jill7930 View Post
I am VERY excited about the Rita's water ice- has it been confirmed? I had strep throat during my last visit to my family in New Jersey and hit Rita's everyday under the auspices of needing "relief" for my throat. It's SOOOO good.
They have a sign up for Rita's with their logo & info on it reading Coming Soon. It's also on the map, so I think it's a safe bet.

I'm most excited about the custard. Durham has some great options for ice cream--we do have Locopops after all--but we have always enjoyed Ted Drewes' custard and hope it can compare!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 11:04 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
Default Fresh Market on 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by welovedurham View Post
Okay, I think I just figured it out. I think Fresh Market has replaced the HT that was on 54 close to campus, near the overpass beside Glen Lenox.

I think some folks (is this right Calvitts?) were talking about the other HT on 54, near Fayetteville Road.

I have to say I didn't notice the Fresh Market at all, but I'll pay attention when I go to Chapel Hill this week. I've been to the one in... Raleigh? Cary? and it seemed fine. Not a destination given our other great choices, but the cafe and bakery were nice.
We just got back from Chapel Hill and that Fresh Market is indeed near the overpass. The shopping center name is Glenwood Square and it is on your left (if you are going into CH from Durham). There is also a Rite Aid at the other end of this small strip mall. Everything was in brick. We didn't stop as the kiddos were tired. But if Rita's had been open then today would have been a good day to take a detour. I can't wait to try it!

Old 07-28-2008, 11:20 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
It sounds like HT is applying the same strategy to the stores in southern Durham as they did in Chapel Hill. AS some of you may remember, that Fresh Market in Chapel Hill was a Harris Teeter until it changed hands about a year ago. There's also a Harris Teeter in Meadowmont just down the road from it. I remember thinking that it was strange that there were 2 HTs so close to one another, but not long afterwards, HT gave up on the other store. I imagine HT is up to the same old trick with their stores in southern Durham. With any luck at all, they'll give up on the old location in a year or so and allow something else to move in.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:51 PM

673 posts, read 2,266,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
It sounds like HT is applying the same strategy to the stores in southern Durham as they did in Chapel Hill. AS some of you may remember, that Fresh Market in Chapel Hill was a Harris Teeter until it changed hands about a year ago. There's also a Harris Teeter in Meadowmont just down the road from it. I remember thinking that it was strange that there were 2 HTs so close to one another, but not long afterwards, HT gave up on the other store. I imagine HT is up to the same old trick with their stores in southern Durham. With any luck at all, they'll give up on the old location in a year or so and allow something else to move in.
And hopefully they (HT) will not hold on to the lease to keep the storefront empty should they decide the area cannot support two Harris Teeters located so close together. This is actually a common strategy among grocery retailers and can occur in any state. Several years ago in Ann Arbor, Michigan, Kroger built and moved into a much larger and newer store about a mile down from the older store. Although they "moved," they retained the lease, holding on to an empty store. The shopping center management eventually worked out an arrangement with Kroger to terminate the lease, since the loss of the main tenant was killing the other small businesses that remained in that shopping center. Another grocery store moved in, and both businesses thrived. I believe there is enough growth in SW Durham that HT can allow a competitor in and not be any worse for the wear.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:12 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
It looks "ghetto?" How so? I was there yesterday to get some popcorn from The Mad Popper, and I was happy to see how busy the center was. Lots of little restaurants, with people sitting outside and eating. Lots of local businesses, from insurers to the like, catering to the community.

I'm no raving fan of strip malls, and this one is certainly dated looking, but it was doing a good business and folks were out with their families and friends.

Old does not equal "ghetto," which is in any case a rather insulting term it would be good to see folks drop.
Went to the Mad Popper today and it is very tastey!! Thanks for standing up for this strip mall! It's no more a ghetto than Southpoint is.....

Old 08-05-2008, 09:38 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
Just a reminder that the new Harris Teeter opens this Wednesday. Oh, if only we knew when Rita's would open, too!

Old 08-06-2008, 02:10 AM

305 posts, read 713,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welovedurham View Post
I've seen Food Lion & HT peacefully coexist before. They serve two different market segments (low prices vs. upscale/variety). I bet this HT is going to be nice & ritzy.
How did Harris Teeter ever acquire that "upscale" reputation? I regularly stop at the store on the corner of Edwards Mill and Duraleigh and I regularly find them selling spoiled meats or bakery or bread or cheese.....Meat turning green, hordes of fruit flies swarming inside of the donut/muffin case, moldy Castle cakes and various food products past their expiration dates all over the store. Nasty, nasty, nasty.

Judging by that location, along with their over-inflated prices, Harris Teeter is as overrated as it gets. The only reason I do any (very minor) shopping there is because it's very close and convenient to where I live, but if I could snap my fingers and replace it with ANY other local supermarket, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Upscale, my aunt Fannie's patootie!

Old 08-06-2008, 06:43 AM

673 posts, read 2,266,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Taylor View Post
How did Harris Teeter ever acquire that "upscale" reputation? I regularly stop at the store on the corner of Edwards Mill and Duraleigh and I regularly find them selling spoiled meats or bakery or bread or cheese.....Meat turning green, hordes of fruit flies swarming inside of the donut/muffin case, moldy Castle cakes and various food products past their expiration dates all over the store. Nasty, nasty, nasty.

Judging by that location, along with their over-inflated prices, Harris Teeter is as overrated as it gets. The only reason I do any (very minor) shopping there is because it's very close and convenient to where I live, but if I could snap my fingers and replace it with ANY other local supermarket, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Upscale, my aunt Fannie's patootie!
This is the first time I've heard of a Harris Teeter NOT being a nice store. Next time you are out and about in other areas, you should check out a different HT and see how it compares to the one you shop now.

I have been shopping the HT on NC-54 near Southpoint, and I never have issues such as that. I'd say my only issue is they run out of items when they are running their triple coupon specials.

The new store opens today -- Hooray!

Old 08-06-2008, 06:51 AM

847 posts, read 3,522,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Taylor View Post
How did Harris Teeter ever acquire that "upscale" reputation?
I bet you are near an old Harris Teeter that has not been renovated, though I thought they had all been. Your HT is definitely an outlier, though! All the ones I know of are nice and don't have that "grocery store" smell that turns me off of some of the other grocery stores.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:26 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Just a reminder that the new Harris Teeter opens this Wednesday. Oh, if only we knew when Rita's would open, too!
If you make it to the new store today lets us know your thoughts. We saw the sign last night and my 8 year old even said "Mom, you don't want to go tomorrow. It's going to be a mad house in there." And I wonder if the old HT up 54 will be a dead zone today. I'm almost tempted to check them both out. Inquiring minds want to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary