Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:02 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,656,638 times

Advertisements

Which apts are you looking at? I'm from MA and most of the apts were multi family houses and not as many complexes. But almost of the apts here are complexes. I rented a 3 br in Morrisville and the rent was higher. But I think the rents tend to be higher in Morrisville than some parts of Cary because it's so close to RTP. It's considered commuter's heaven (if you can avoid airport noise). But it's very small compared to Cary and just starting to develop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 10:07 AM

286 posts, read 994,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I personally consider Cary as the poster child for bland suburbanism.

It has many advocates and, for them, it's a good fit.

Many relocated families from the Northeast seem to find Cary their ideal home.

All depends on your income, family status, and lifestyle.

For me, the Capital Blvd area in North Raleigh is ideal.

Yeah to each his own. I've got to agree with saturnfan on this one. Bland suburbanism is a great way to put it

Old 07-15-2008, 10:23 AM

286 posts, read 994,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon182x View Post
I am greatful that you all took time out to respond. Although I'm still wondering about these apartments I am viewing online are for real. We don't have very many apt complexes where i come from....upstate New York no where near the city. I am from a small town where there is not too much nite life, and that is something I am not very intrested in anyways. Although, I like to go out from time to time, I am more concerned with starting life with my boyfriend. Getting a good job get married and eventually have a family. I just can't seem to get past how nice apts can be rented for less than $800 with only a $200 deposit.
And if anyone has any more information about the police dept. down there? Thanks

Well.....its not the night life thing that bothers me either. My wife and I aren't into that, so living in morrisville isn't too bad. The problem is that we can go almost nowehere in morrisville or cary after 10. But....they are both beautiful places to live and can be really conveniently located to raleigh, durham, or chapel hill. Where I live in morrisville I am right by 540 and that can take me to 40 or wherever I want to go. Check out how convenient the locations are of some of these apartments. It is my opinion that some areas of cary are extremely inconvenient if you're trying to get to raleigh or durham.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:29 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon182x View Post
I am greatful that you all took time out to respond. Although I'm still wondering about these apartments I am viewing online are for real. We don't have very many apt complexes where i come from....upstate New York no where near the city. I am from a small town where there is not too much nite life, and that is something I am not very intrested in anyways. Although, I like to go out from time to time, I am more concerned with starting life with my boyfriend. Getting a good job get married and eventually have a family. I just can't seem to get past how nice apts can be rented for less than $800 with only a $200 deposit.
And if anyone has any more information about the police dept. down there? Thanks
It's true. Our great 1 BR goes for $715. Two runs a bit over $800. Deposits are very low or even 0 for preferred employers.

RPD salaries are low but might change. Good dept though.

Mine is Northridge Crossings near Capital Blvd and Old Wake Forest Rd. Seconds from Triangle Town Center in good traffic times. Come see us.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:34 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
Which apts are you looking at? I'm from MA and most of the apts were multi family houses and not as many complexes. But almost of the apts here are complexes. I rented a 3 br in Morrisville and the rent was higher. But I think the rents tend to be higher in Morrisville than some parts of Cary because it's so close to RTP. It's considered commuter's heaven (if you can avoid airport noise). But it's very small compared to Cary and just starting to develop.
Depends on where you work. If you work downtown, North Raleigh or West Raleigh even have bus service downtown.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:20 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMayor View Post
Someone give Saturnfan a hug or something, he's always such a downer around here
He wasn't being a downer - he was giving his opinion - the fact is that Cary isn't for everyone. It's great for families but this is a young childless couple and it may not be right for them. It's not personally right for me either. It really is OK to not be in love with Cary! He acknowledged that others might find it wonderful

The OP wanted opinions.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:22 AM

18,079 posts, read 15,664,302 times
Well to be fair...I lived in Raleigh for 4 years before moving to Cary (I lived near Crabtree Valley Mall) and it was bland there too. In fact I would describe most of this area as 'bland.' And that's not a BAD THING at all. I used to live in San Francisco (right in the city). Not bland at all...you could walk everywhere and find anything you wanted. That is not the case here (at least not as much outside of Chapel Hill).

People go inside their homes/apts/townhouses and live their lives and your experience of any area is going to be dictated by a few things: friends, type of friends, your interests, if you are working and where, your income, if you have family nearby, if you are single or married or divorced, if you have kids, etc.

I'd say the main thing that influences whether you find an area cool or not is having friends and people to do stuff with and then having some places to go that you like, be it food or activities, relatively close by. Without friends no place will ever feel really cool.

And btw, it was JUST AS QUIET in Raleigh as it is in Cary in the area in which I lived. Just as sedate. A bit more traffic, but I still needed to jump in my car and go somewhere to do stuff. I have friends who live off Capital Blvd (actually up 401) and I personally could not live in that area because it's congested and it's still a bunch of strip malls, just more of them and closer together. To each their own though.

Having lived in SF and recently visited Charleston, Savannah, Wilmington....there are much fewer areas here that have that same feel of those places -- of being able to walk for blocks and blocks and have a ton of places to eat, hang out, see scenery and interesting architecture all within those same blocks.

That doesn't mean Cary, Raleigh, et. al. isn't beautiful and doesn't have its benefits, because it surely does and it's a wonderful place to live. But c'mon. When people are saying that Raleigh is interesting and Cary is boring I have to laugh. Cause either one can be exceedingly boring, depending on where you are, and both can also be interesting.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:26 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Well to be fair...I lived in Raleigh for 4 years before moving to Cary (I lived near Crabtree Valley Mall) and it was bland there too. In fact I would describe most of this area as 'bland.' And that's not a BAD THING at all. I used to live in San Francisco (right in the city). Not bland at all...you could walk everywhere and find anything you wanted. That is not the case here (at least not as much outside of Capel Hill).
That's so true...(sometimes I think it's a bad thing for me personally) (other times I enjoy the peace)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
That doesn't mean Cary, Raleigh, et. al. isn't beautiful and doesn't have its benefits, because it surely does and it's a wonderful place to live. But c'mon. When people are saying that Raleigh is interesting and Cary is boring I have to laugh. Cause either one can be exceedingly boring, depending on where you are, and both can be interesting.
Yup yup. I think I'd love the greenways in Cary, that's a huge plus for me.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:44 PM

551 posts, read 575,396 times
Quote:
I personally consider Cary as the poster child for bland suburbanism.
I am not sure what would be bland about it. It is not a city and does not have a lot of bars or nightclubs, neither of which I care for. It has lots of beautiful parks, miles of greenways, beautiful homes of all styles and colors, lots of fine dining establishments, lots of cool shopping. There are a lot of places to live in Cary where one can walk to everything. Cary is a big town like Raleigh is a big city, so one statement does not cover all.

Quote:
It has many advocates and, for them, it's a good fit.
Very true. For those of us that like outdoor activities as opposed to bar/nightclub activities, Cary is perfect.

Quote:
IAll depends on your income, family status, and lifestyle.
I am not sure what family status has to do with anything. I have no family status and I am here.

Quote:
For me, the Capital Blvd area in North Raleigh is ideal.
Everyone has to make the choices on what is best for them. It is good Capital Blvd works for some.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:48 PM

551 posts, read 575,396 times
Quote:
Capital makes me feel right at home and no meddlesome HOA's to tell us how to live.
I am confused. There are no HOA communities around Capital Blvd? I believe there are plenty. Also, isn't living in an apartment more controlling than an HOA? How can someone that lives in an apartment, which is fine, and has absolutely no control whatsoever over the property have an issue with an HOA that only sets guidelines? That doesn't seem to make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary