Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 05:36 PM

492 posts, read 2,107,663 times

Advertisements

Just curious, as my neighborhood's school assignments are:

Elementary; Weatherstone
Middle: Davis

I know the Davis Drive schools are highly regarded--and hence a strong selling point for a house. What's the skinny on Weatherstone?

Last edited by NC_newcomer; 07-14-2008 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: 'cuz if you're asking about schools, spelling ought to be correct!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 05:44 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,694,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_newcomer View Post
Just curious, as my neighborhood's school assignments are:

Elementary; Weatherstone
Middle: Davis

I know the Davis Drive schools are highly regarded--and hence a strong selling point for a house. What's the skinny on Weatherstone?
We just moved out of a home zoned for Weatherstone. My daughter was going to begin kindergarten there in September. My neighbors were generally pleased with the school. My understanding is that one of the nodes that was bused in from a less affluent area in Raleigh will be bused to Carpenter Elementary this year so Weatherstone will have fewer F&R students. Whether that's good or bad I'll leave for you to determine. My guess is that test scores for 2008-2009 will improve.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:46 PM

F&R students?

Sorry, I don't have kids in the school system chaos here. What does this mean?

Old 07-14-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
F&R students?

Sorry, I don't have kids in the school system chaos here. What does this mean?
Sorry. Free & Reduced lunch students. It's the measure the school system uses to diversify schools. No school should have too many or too few. Weatherstone, like many of the schools in Central Cary, had way more than the schools in West Cary. Some of the reassignments this year were to try to even this out.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:05 PM

Thanks for the decoding.

Wow, so Weatherstone is considered "central" Cary? Where does Central Cary end, and West Cary begin? Davis Drive?

Or is the demarcation inside/outside Cary Parkway?

Old 07-14-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the decoding.

Wow, so Weatherstone is considered "central" Cary? Where does Central Cary end, and West Cary begin? Davis Drive?

Or is the demarcation inside/outside Cary Parkway?
I'm not sure that I would consider it in Central Cary, but I don't know whether it's really West Cary either. We lived right next to Weatherstone and when people asked me where we lived I gave a different answer every time. It's only 2 miles from downtown, so it's pretty close to central Cary. Test scores last year were not as good as the other West Cary elementaries (Turner Creek, Green Hope, Davis Drive, Highcroft, etc) because Weatherstone had a much higher percentage of F&R students. I believe Weatherstone's test scores were a little better than most of the central Cary elementaries (probably because in general Weatherstone had fewer F&R students). So, it's somewhere in between and my guess is Weatherstone's scores will go up this year and a lot of the West Cary schools' scores will go down slightly this year as their F&R percentages go up because of the reassignment. Honestly, my guess is that most non F&R students will do well at any Cary elementary school.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:19 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,188 times
Are you interested in Weatherstone because your children will be going there or because you want to make sure that your house has decent re-sale value? Because my answers would be different depending on which way you're looking at it.

Basically Weatherstone isn't going to hurt your home's value. It's a decent school whose test scores are lower than would be expected for the area. It has a fairly well off base (most of Preston attends) and you will see entitled parents and entitled kids. You will also see unentitled parents and unentitled kids, but they're not as loud.

It's also on of the few traditional schools in the area, which is a selling point for some.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:50 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,677,887 times
My apologies if this is a dumb question, but what exactly is an "entitled" parent or kid? What are they entitled to?

Old 07-15-2008, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielChang View Post
My apologies if this is a dumb question, but what exactly is an "entitled" parent or kid? What are they entitled to?
I was wondering the same thing. And more disturbingly, what is an "unentitled kid" and why are they and their parents not as "loud?"

Surely the poster isn't saying that some kids (Preston) are "entitled" to a good education in a Cary school, and others -- "F&R kids"-- are not?

Old 07-15-2008, 07:36 AM

114 posts, read 373,229 times
Quote:
I was wondering the same thing. And more disturbingly, what is an "unentitled kid" and why are they and their parents not as "loud?"

Surely the poster isn't saying that some kids (Preston) are "entitled" to a good education in a Cary school, and others -- "F&R kids"-- are not?
My guess (and it's only that) is that the poster meant the kids and parents ACT as if they are entitled to something (i.e. snobby or act is if the school should be focused on them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary