Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:54 AM

374 posts, read 1,598,130 times

Advertisements

we have had three homes get struck by lightning in our neighborhood over the past year....the worst was last weeks storm that struck a house on the next street while they were on vacation and it wasnt noticed until the next day. The house was ruined on the inside by water damage and has to be completely rebuilt.

Is this normal for NC? Is there anything that can be done to mitigate the possibility of strikes on our house? Do Lightning rods work? I wonder if there is something near our neighborhood that is attacting the strikes? I see a cell tower in the distance over the trees. Is that attaracting it?

Its so scary!

Last edited by mcfamilyof4; 07-15-2008 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: misspellings..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 10:00 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,384,360 times
A house four doors down from my house burned down a couple of weeks ago after being struck by lightning. It was everyone's worse nightmare. To get a call while you are on vacation telling you that your house burned down while you were away. It makes me so sad every time I see it.

According to a woman from the fire department my neighborhood and Southern Village often get hit by lightning! Not something I wanted to hear.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:06 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
We had a lightning sensor (or something like that) in our attic hooked up to our security system. We did it because a coworker of my husband's lost her house to fire (started in the attic) in Raleigh because of lightning and we have two small children at the other end of the hall. I think it cost less than $100.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:10 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,461 times
I'm no expert, but I doubt very much that anything is 'attracting' the lightning. If it were, it would be taking the hits!

More likely, we're in an area where there are a lot of thunderstorms this time of year.

Lightning rods can mitigate a lot of damage, but they need to be grounded really well. I would think probably thick copper braid. Don't know if you're checked out copper prices lately, but there's a reason foreclosed homes are being stripped of their plumbing.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:13 AM

355 posts, read 1,502,514 times
My husband mentioned that all the electronics in his boss's house got fried. Apparently, lightning strikes his house (in Fuquay) once every year. Even though some suggested having lighning rods, he has refrained from installing it in his property. Quite scary! I wonder if insurance will cover the damage.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:20 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
Invisible dog fences can attract lightning toward them. My sister-in-law lives on a large piece of property and they were experiencing frequent strikes with no explanation. It stopped when they turned the system off.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:21 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
I'm not sure if this is an old wives tales or not. But in growing up in ENC near the coast, my parents and grandparents use to always say that lightning will "usually" hit the tallest object. We had several lightning strikes hit pine trees around my parents home but never the house. Our neighbor had cleared their lot of pine trees and the house was the tallest thing on their lot. Their house did get hit twice, but they also had a big TV antenna, which was the problem one of the times.

I would call your home insurance agent and find out what they suggest. They probably can pull up data about the susceptiblity of your area too.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:52 AM

635 posts, read 3,091,689 times
Interesting and timely, a WRAL story on this very topic:

Lightning strikes spark protection measures :: WRAL.com

Al

Old 07-15-2008, 12:00 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger View Post
Interesting and timely, a WRAL story on this very topic:

Lightning strikes spark protection measures :: WRAL.com

Al
How timely!

The picture of that house...<shudder>

Does anyone know if insurance covers that? I would think so, but I have nightmares about it being some "act of God" clause....

One thing though...

Quote:
“We certainly recommend that a fire alarm system be installed in your home if you don't have one, with an emphasis on a heat detection system inside your attic spaces,” said Battalion Chief Peter Brock, with the Raleigh Fire Department.

Lightning is attracted to water, Brock added.
I don't think Brock is qualified to be making such statements, and I don't think that's exactly true. From everything I've read, water that isn't pure can be ionized and a decent conductor - but not as good as metal, or the highest object.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:07 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,192,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
How timely!

The picture of that house...<shudder>

Does anyone know if insurance covers that? I would think so, but I have nightmares about it being some "act of God" clause....
Aren't floods, felled trees, sewer backups, etc acts of God? insurance protects against those...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary