Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:33 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnSue View Post
I just dont understand why the builders dont work the land better before the ybuild on the sites......I know people are buying those homes but I'm sure more would sell if they were flatter w./more use....
Because that costs $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 11:42 AM

431 posts, read 1,338,222 times
Default And ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
Because that costs $$$$$$$$$$$$$

If I'm buying a new home and willing to spend between $250 to $300k I don't think that 20-30 feet of "useable" backyard is ok....... alot of these developments are supposed to be family orientated but having a lot like that is far from it....

I've viewed many beautiful homes that I could see my family living in, but with yards like that I would never consider it....

Of course it costs money, and I'm sure plenty would take on an added cost to have a beautiful home with useable yard.....

Old 07-16-2008, 11:53 AM

11 posts, read 61,493 times
Thanks a lot for very nice replies. They are very helpful.

For the lot I am looking at, it is pretty steep. I can imagine lot of run-off water during heavy rains.

Do you guys think it is possible to ask builder to put some more work to flat the lot?

Old 07-16-2008, 12:01 PM

I' would think that could be a possible option.....If they did agree, I would assume you'd be eating that cost or maybe you can work out a deal to split the cost......

Its hard when you find a home you really love but the yard just won't work.....obviously we don't know exactly what your describing with the specifics of the property, but I think I would try and ask the builder....who's it going to hurt.....and honestely I would think that having it done prior to your move rather than you having to get it done after the move should you choose to buy the home would be better now than later..

Good luck......and hope you can work something out....

-Suzanne

Old 07-16-2008, 12:18 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnSue View Post
If I'm buying a new home and willing to spend between $250 to $300k I don't think that 20-30 feet of "useable" backyard is ok....... alot of these developments are supposed to be family orientated but having a lot like that is far from it....

I've viewed many beautiful homes that I could see my family living in, but with yards like that I would never consider it....

Of course it costs money, and I'm sure plenty would take on an added cost to have a beautiful home with useable yard.....
Hey I don't disagree with you at all...I'm just saying that people still seem to buy the lots and it's a business decision the builder makes.

Also, many lots are purchased before a rough grade has even been done - lots in the development I am in are sold with 50 foot tall mature trees - once the buyer is committed to a lot and a price, what's to hold the builder to grading that lot out perfectly? Obviously it's one thing if they are prepping a lot to sell, they will spend the money to make it look nice...but if you've got a committed buyer and can save some cash by shortcutting the grading on their lot, the sad reality is that some builders would take that savings and send their bulldozer elsewhere.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:24 PM

306 posts, read 719,846 times
Years ago, we owned a home with a steep backyard and put over 1200 square feet of decks out back to make it usable. It worked for us and was a major plus in selling it. However, I have since heard through the grapevine that the house is now experiencing a "shift" in the hillside and it's causing foundation problems with the house........something to think about. You don't want your house to "move" on you.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:37 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
I've heard realtors here say you either get a flat lot or a basement but not both in the same house. So if you are really sold on this lot with the steep backyard, can you add a basement? That might help with resale. Can you terrace the back yard for gardening? Can you level out a patio or play area? I know all that costs money so it's something to think about.

I had a friend in the West Hills in Portland whose home had a steep "mountain" by NC terms. She had a flat lawn near the house and then the hill slooped upwards. She liked it, because it offered privacy, was a natural barrier that kept her kids in the yard, and was easy to maintain (with mature bushes etc.)

I think it's something you can work with and make great... but there is always a price. Oh, as far as drainage, if it slopes toward the house ask about putting in french drains. You might not need them when you first move in, but this seems to be one of those things that you will eventually need.

Good luck with your decision!!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:37 PM

Default I gotcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
Hey I don't disagree with you at all...I'm just saying that people still seem to buy the lots and it's a business decision the builder makes.

Also, many lots are purchased before a rough grade has even been done - lots in the development I am in are sold with 50 foot tall mature trees - once the buyer is committed to a lot and a price, what's to hold the builder to grading that lot out perfectly? Obviously it's one thing if they are prepping a lot to sell, they will spend the money to make it look nice...but if you've got a committed buyer and can save some cash by shortcutting the grading on their lot, the sad reality is that some builders would take that savings and send their bulldozer elsewhere.

It just really amazes me that some really nice homes are just plopped on a piece of property with sloping front yards and walk thru side yard and then a cliff of a back yard.....

And you are right, people are buying them.....Maybe it has alot to do with where I come from? Here on long island your yards are flat ......I have 75x178 prop with an aboveground pool and my home is 40' wide and a 5' x40' porch off the front and a 16x16' deck on the back and still have lots of prop for my kids swingset/trampoline and loads of grass space to play...

So now that we want to move and buy new.....I find it very difficult to find what we would like.......I don't need what I just stated but a nice yard that is useable......and honestly its hard to find...

I do hope this works out for the poster and would love to know what the builder says about working with them on fixing the yard.....Its good to know that may be a possiblity when we come back to look more....

Old 07-16-2008, 01:34 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,526 times
I would like to add my sloped view on this subject. I am in the group that feel a sloped property layout tends to slope the price downward. How far down the slope obviously is a factor of the amount of slope and where it is located and are all homes in and around the property have sloping lots.

IMO level lots sell best, corner level lots sell better and then everything else seems to slide off from there.

I come from the hilly area of upstate NY and some people have the three tied lots. The street level 1, the house - level 2 up&down from the street, and then the backyard - level 3. In extreme cases the 2nd floor of the house was at street level. Maybe that is where the term, 'look who just fell in' came from IDK.

Anyway, if someone wants the home with a latitudinally challenged lot they need to understand the highs and lows of that decision!

Old 07-16-2008, 01:49 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Leveling a naturally sloping lot is not only expensive but could have dramatic and unexpected environmental impacts. While general grading practices are common during home construction, I don't find it unusual that developers aren't out there trying to flatten hills or fill in Gullies. Most people don't realize how much earth needs to be moved and how far out you would need to spread the soil just to level out a 5' vertical difference in grade on a lot. The planning aspect of all that work alone would be a nightmare.

Besides, most people don’t want to pay extra for something unless it means getting more square footage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary