Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 03:01 PM

8 posts, read 18,433 times

Advertisements

I'm a born-and-bred New Yorker who has been itching for a less noisy, friendlier, greener place to live. Would love some input on whether a newly-single, 28 year old gal would be happy here? Ideally, I'd love a decent "downtown" scene (art, theatre, music, bookstores, a decent selection of bars) but without the trendy, expensive, "ultra-chic" New York vibe. Just looking to relocate somewhere that has a progressive, young, vibrant culture without the hipster attitude. I'd also love to know if there's housing in walking distance of things to do, or if I'd need to bring my car everywhere (definitely appreciate the pedestrian-friendly aspect of NY). Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 04:23 PM

55 posts, read 146,100 times
Look into Chapel Hill and Carrboro. They skew progressive and young for sure, CH more so due to a larger college crowd. Art, music, and bars are good here, but don't expect a lot of theatre anywhere in the Triangle, that is, in any particular spot. There are a couple local theatres in CH and larger ones are within an easy drive. NCers love their cars, and there is a lot of sprawl, so you'll need a car for sure. I think that CH and Carrboro are among the most walkable, if not THE most walkable communities in the Triangle. There is a good bit of the hipster vibe, I will say....

Raleigh is making an effort at improving downtown but right now it's a nightmare and generally not both walkable and affordable (you can find one or the other pretty easily). I think most people in the area would generally recommend the CH/Carrboro area for you, although the Triangle might not be your ideal living locale. You might also look into Asheville, in the mountains, if you haven't already.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:21 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
I'd look into CH or Durham. But really, you should look into what type of jobs you want or if you want to go back to school, and then figure out where you want to live. I'm hesitant to recommend Carrboro if you're going to be going to a job in RTP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary