Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 12:59 PM

6 posts, read 9,839 times

Advertisements

Why is there an assumption that all custom built homes are better than quality tract built homes? Is there some data to prove this or is it just what people think? I would think that a quality tract builder would have an advantage as their construction workers get in a pattern of building the same thing over and over. You know, practice makes perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 01:00 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,013,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
sneezecake, when you say "gets high marks" what is this based on? I'm not questioning what you are saying. Everyone that I know that owns a Centex home likes it and speaks well of them and says similar things. I just wonder if there has been some sort of local survey (that you might be referring to) that rates home builder statisfaction.
Sorry, didn't mean to imply there were actual "marks" - more just the feedback I've read from homeowners and inspectors - though I think Centex DID win a few awards?

Old 07-17-2008, 01:05 PM

3 posts, read 7,501 times
I live in a centex home in Michigan and we bought it after it was already built so we didnt have the choice in picking any upgrades but it did have the granite counter tops in the Kitchen which are really nice. This is my 3rd home and i do have to say that they are built a little cheap i think.. and i also have to agree on the wood floors they are a very cheap grade the slightest thing scratches or puts a dent in the floor i am not a fan of carpet but thank god the wood floors are not through out the house. But overall the houses are nice i would definately go for the upgrades. The other thing that they did not have.. i dont know if its a Michigan thing b/c i moved from NC but the garage doors had no garage opener, its a 2 story home w/ no deck. and most new construction homes come with landscaping.. not here..

Old 07-17-2008, 01:07 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,084,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang Write View Post
Why is there an assumption that all custom built homes are better than quality tract built homes? Is there some data to prove this or is it just what people think? I would think that a quality tract builder would have an advantage as their construction workers get in a pattern of building the same thing over and over. You know, practice makes perfect.
This is not an assumption, but my opinion based on first-hand observations. I saw Centex homes in the $400s with studs spaced farther apart, lower grade appliances, less finish detailing, lower grade carpet, thinner lumber in roof trusses & no internal sound insulation as compared to comparably-priced custom homes of a similar size.

As for the practice makes perfect assumption, it could be true. However, with small custom builders the owner of the company is often on site daily to monitor progress of the home and manage all subs directly, thus having a positive effect on the outcome.

Bottom line - I still think Centex builds a quality home.

Last edited by mdp_az; 07-17-2008 at 01:23 PM..

Old 07-17-2008, 01:13 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,393,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
We had engineered floors in our Pulte home. I hated them. The littlest bit of water caused water damage and they dented so easily. I would never have them again.

The Centex single family homes that were built in Cary recently (Bishops Gate and Weston Oaks) are beautiful and included tons of upgrades. Again, I guess it depends on the area and the base price.
I agree - my house is great, tons of upgrades such as moldings, coffer ceilings, granite etc. My only complaint are the floors which are basically the same in all units (from 300-500K). I feel the floors should be a tad better quality, otherwise, all is good.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:28 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,469 times
I have a Centex home as well, I have had no problems (knock wood), quality for the price point to me was very good, customer service is easy to deal with. I have had no major issues, water heater is in the garage not the attic, I did some upgrades, only after pricing those in the marketplace to see if pricing was competitive with Centex. Bottomline, no issues, I would glady purchase another Centex home. I hope this helps. I also have the engineered hardwood flooring throughout my main level(slab home), I don't have any issues as far as dings, marks, etc...I am also a cleaning fanatic, so nothing gets passed me...and shoes off at the door for all.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:39 PM

673 posts, read 2,263,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckitz78 View Post
I live in a centex home in Michigan and we bought it after it was already built so we didnt have the choice in picking any upgrades but it did have the granite counter tops in the Kitchen which are really nice. This is my 3rd home and i do have to say that they are built a little cheap i think.. and i also have to agree on the wood floors they are a very cheap grade the slightest thing scratches or puts a dent in the floor i am not a fan of carpet but thank god the wood floors are not through out the house. But overall the houses are nice i would definately go for the upgrades. The other thing that they did not have.. i dont know if its a Michigan thing b/c i moved from NC but the garage doors had no garage opener, its a 2 story home w/ no deck. and most new construction homes come with landscaping.. not here..
ckitz, I think it's a Michigan thing... When hubby and I lived in Michigan, builders included next to nothing in the base package. For instance, A/C is an upgrade in Michigan; dual zone air is pretty much the standard in NC.

We purchased our Centex home last September (following our move to NC from Michigan), and our home came loaded with great features! We bought an inventory home, but our home has the granite counters, double oven, smooth-top stove, beautiful cherry cabinets, finished 3rd floor, downstairs guest bedroom and full bath, and much more. Our garage door definitely came with a garage door opener, we have a deck AND patio, and our yard is landscaped.

It may also depend on the price range and the development. Lower priced developments may minimize some of the extras.

Also, don't forget that home builders across the country are hurting right now. Developments have been scaled back (if not abandoned), and base prices have dropped signficantly. I'm sure with the drop in base prices, however, builders have also dropped some of the features they previously would have included.

Now, as to the hardwood floors that are installed? I agree with the comments others have made -- the floors are not engineered for durability... That being said, however, we are very pleased overall with the quality of our Centex home!

Old 07-17-2008, 03:09 PM

551 posts, read 573,466 times
Default Flooring

Engineered flooring is made to go directly on concrete. It is flexible, so it will move with the concrete. It is a bad idea to put solid hardwood on concrete. There are big benefits to a slab foundation over a crawl space or basement, so the trade-off can be well worth it. I have engineered hardwoods with a 25 year warranty. I love my Centex home. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:29 PM

167 posts, read 565,847 times
OK now i have a question about these engineered hardwoods. . . . do i need to worry about my dogs nails scratching them the second we move in? I trim his nails every so often. . . but i may have to step it up.

Also. . . Calvitts, in regard to "It may also depend on the price range and the development. Lower priced developments may minimize some of the extras." this is definitely true for Centex. The single family homes in Peyton Hall, for example, are meant to be "afforable" and have much different standard features and less upgrades than other Raleigh properties.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:47 PM

280 posts, read 739,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In & Out View Post
Engineered flooring is made to go directly on concrete. It is flexible, so it will move with the concrete. It is a bad idea to put solid hardwood on concrete. There are big benefits to a slab foundation over a crawl space or basement, so the trade-off can be well worth it. I have engineered hardwoods with a 25 year warranty. I love my Centex home. Wouldn't trade it for the world.
Can you please tell me how slab foundation is better than crawl space?
I have been scared of slab foundations ever since I saw a house a few years ago in Apex - that had a nasty crack in the slab run all the way thru the garage floor and presumably the length of the house.
And it was a brand new house. The realtor said something about the ground settling and causing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary