Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 08:22 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,790,860 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a good builder in the area? You know those ones that look like little houses in your backyard that you can make look like your house and it's kind of cheesy but at least your homeowners association will like it?

The cheapest I can find for a nice one with vinyl siding is about $1800 from a company called Amish Barns on 70/Mineral Springs; I was wondering if I was missing a good deal somewhere in the RTP area!

Thanks for your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 10:46 AM

261 posts, read 1,216,896 times
Default Carolina Yard Barns

After lots of research and comparison, We used Carolina Yard Barns. Our shed has 8' side walls, 16" On center framing, 12" on center floor framing with a 3/4" plywood floor. The roof has a 6/12 pitch. We also got a regular 15 lite exterior door, and a vinyl single hung window. It was built onsite.

Due to HOA requirements, the size is 8'x12', with hardiplank siding, 25 year architectural roof shingles (to match the house). We ordered the roof with 1' overhangs all around so it it matches the house better.

To dress it up a bit, we added an octagon shaped decorative window over the door, and a cupola on the roof to aid in ventilation.

If a shed can be cute, this one is adorable. It was also not inexpensive, coming in at around $5000. Lot of money for tool and lawn equipment storage. However, our yard is not large, and the shed is very much a visual element, in full view from the familyroom etc. We ultimately decided to go with well-built, and make it look like a planned design element of the entire landscaping. The result is very pleasing. AND, I am so delighted to get all that stuff out of our garage so the cars can actually fit it it!

Old 07-18-2008, 01:45 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,790,860 times
That's my plan too... we went from a 2 1/2 car garage to a 2 car garage, and you wouldn't believe how much stuff that actually leaves you without space for! 8 X 12 is about the size we're looking for too but unfortunately can't go above $2k... I will definitely give Carolina a call though! Thank you for the advice

Old 07-18-2008, 03:34 PM

261 posts, read 1,216,896 times
Default Check their website...

They have a great website, with pricing and everything: www.carolinayardbarns.com .

We got a shed from their Heritage line. The Statesman line is nice and costs a less.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:48 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
I second the motion on Carolina Yard Barns.
Good people!

Old 07-18-2008, 05:19 PM

655 posts, read 916,719 times
Why do so many HOA not allow for a small yard shed, built to match the home, in the back yard? I can understand if someone wanted to build one in the front, or side in plain view, but out back? My HOA won't allow any detached building of any type, is this common?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary