Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 09:12 PM

431 posts, read 1,338,222 times

Advertisements

So some of you may know we've been down to Clayton and really liked it....We will be coming back down sometime in August for a second look.

My ? is What other areas can anyone recommend that may be similiar to Clayton that have traditional steady schools w/no bussing issues that are good since we have 3 boys, 13, 10, 5. Not to rural and not to city....something in between....

We are looking for new construction min of 4brs fam room, lr/study, and bonus.....we really want at least .5 acre and would love to be able to put in our own pool....and really dont want to be in a s/d thats far out from other neighborhoods since the kids are used to riding their bikes to friends homes and such and I dont like the idea of being secluded away....

We love clayton, I just dont want to limit us to one area, but unfortunately thats where I've put all my time and effort into the past few months....

We're looking to spend between $250-$300k....

Any ideas or opinions on other areas would be greatly appreciated.....
Thanks in advance
-Suzanne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 09:59 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
I'd say with your parameters and preferences, Clayton probably fits you very well. I was going to suggest Chatham County, but that may be a little too country for you based on what you said you'd like. Most of the other little suburb areas are in Wake County and you'll have the school calendar issues as well as bussing.
The only other place I can think of you may like is Hillsborough.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:09 PM

I know thats what I seem to keep coming back to, but I feel like I'm limiting myself ya know.......I just cant get past the school issues.....I know plenty of people are fine with it, its just something totally out of the norm from where we are coming from and I worry about making the big move and then not having the stability....

I did just post another thread trying to get some more info on magnet schools...since I have no info on that.....trying to get an idea of how that all works and whether thats an option for stability....I just don't know how it really works and if you find a base area that is a magnet do your kids just transition as they move up thru the school system or does it only apply to say elementary....and then it changes as they move into middle or will they go to a magnet then also since they started that way....

Argh....so many ?'s and its so diffeent so its hard to wrap around it all......

I appreciate your response though...

Old 07-17-2008, 10:09 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Once you rule out Wake County Public Schools, you've ruled out all of Wake County.

Johnston County/Clayton would be my next choice.

You may want to check into Franklin County or Granville County but I think Clayton is much more developed.

With the price you have chosen and the desire to have l/2 acre, Clayton sounds like a great fit.

Keep in mind that Johnston County is also getting two new high schools so there will be some redistricting in the future. Growth equals more schools equals some movement of students.

Vicki

Old 07-17-2008, 10:12 PM

746 posts, read 2,247,810 times
if you can give a little on your land reqs you might be able to afford wake forest. Don't be afraid to look at foreclosure properties to get more for your dollar. I love our s/d and pools are allowed - the lots are smaller than what you are looking for, but the other parameters work.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:17 PM

Well we are open w/the prop size.....I'm really looking as I said to be able to put a pool in and still have some type of grass for the kids to be able to play on/throw a ball around.....

Honestley......I've been in this home for 13.5 years and we have redone it from top to bottom basically top of the line......when we finally sell I dont want to have to do that all over again.....we might be open to a new home maybe a year or two but that would probably be it......I just want to move and just move in.....

Old 07-17-2008, 10:21 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
if you can give a little on your land reqs you might be able to afford wake forest. Don't be afraid to look at foreclosure properties to get more for your dollar. I love our s/d and pools are allowed - the lots are smaller than what you are looking for, but the other parameters work.
Except that it's in Wake County and they still have to deal with the school issues that they said they didn't want to deal with.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:34 PM

353 posts, read 996,151 times
You could try Durham.

When hubby and I looked at leaving Wake (like you, because of school issues) we also researched the Harnett County side of Fuquay-Varina.

I would also consider Clayton.

You don't have to rule out the Triangle to avoid WCPSS. But it helps to know if you will need to commute (for work) to RTP or Raleigh. If RTP, Durham will work wonderfully. If Raleigh, Clayton would, and so would Fuquay, but it wouldn't be a less-than-30-minute drive.

We wound up leaving the Triangle area, but only because hubby got a job offer and a substantial raise TO leave. I think, with him working in Cary, we would have wound up in Fuquay if we had stayed.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:39 PM

We arent really worried about work.....I'm on disability and my husband will be gettin early retirement.....but he'll still find something part time to keep himself busy so there is no commute concerns....thats the only certain thing I can say at this point.....

Clayton is top on the list as of now.....I'm just running into issue w/finding a home that we love where we can put a pool in......

How are the schools in Durham? are they traditional?

Old 07-17-2008, 10:46 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
So...these folks who have started threads about what's changed from a long time ago in the Triangle, how about this one: New Yorkers moving to Clayton!!! 3 years ago, New Yorkers essentially went to two places: Cary and North Raleigh. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary