U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 02:22 PM

6 posts, read 22,816 times

Advertisements

For every major interstate moving company (Allied, Mayflower, etc.) there seems to be a hundred or more nightmare scenarios involving moves that went horribly wrong (missing or broken belongings, irreparably damaged heirlooms, rude and incompetent movers, etc.)

Are there any moving companies anyone would recommend? Any positive interstate moving stories with happy endings?

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 02:50 PM

22 posts, read 29,504 times
Default Moving Companies

I would recommend Bekins. We used them to move us across country and they did a great job. They were the only company that offered a guarantee in writing so that there would be no stressful situations like a moving company asking for more money in the end. In fact by going with Bekins, although one of the more expensive, actually ended up costing less because everyone of the other companies gave us low bids and even Bekins ended up using more boxes and one more crate than they thought they would need, therefore because we got the guarantee price we didn't have to pay extra, like we would have had to with all the other companies. Good Luck!! Where are you moving too?

Old 01-20-2007, 02:52 PM

6 posts, read 22,816 times
Thanks, Calandra! Very helpful! We're considering a move to the Chapel Hill area from Northern New Jersey.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:39 PM

104 posts, read 439,533 times
I had an EXCELLENT experience with United Van Lines. They were friendly, professional, on-time with both pick-up & delivery, & couldn't have been more helpful. Since this was my first "moving company" experience, I had LOTS of questions. They took the time to explain everything I wanted to know, & never made me feel rushed. We didn't have a single item broken or scratched upon arrival. They were honest about estimating the weight of our household goods, and we actually were refunded a few hundred dollars because our actual weight came in less than they estimated.

Our real estate company's relocation service recommended Graebel. They were the first company I called. I found them to be unfriendly (both the estimator & every customer service person I talked to), and almost unwilling to answer questions. They certainly didn't offer much information about the move, even though I told them this was my first move & I really didn't know what I needed to know & what questions I needed to be asking them. They also ended up underestimating the weight of my household goods by 5,000 pounds, even though I showed them every nook & cranny of everything I was moving. I'm SOOO glad I didn't go with them!!!

Before you go with any moving company, I would check the website movingscam.com. There is a wealth of helpful information on there.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:09 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,146,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMax View Post
For every major interstate moving company (Allied, Mayflower, etc.) there seems to be a hundred or more nightmare scenarios involving moves that went horribly wrong (missing or broken belongings, irreparably damaged heirlooms, rude and incompetent movers, etc.)

Are there any moving companies anyone would recommend? Any positive interstate moving stories with happy endings?

Thanks in advance!
No real advice.....the company paid a local company when we moved. I will say however, that for the past 3 years I have been lamenting the loss of one box of mixed items (an artist's lamp, some expensive beads, and Russian beading books that I can't get anymore.

I figured it had been left on a truck or something....not exactly things a movers would steal, you know. Anyway....I recently found the box hidden in the middle of three other boxes with one on top stored in our basement.

I feel bad about thinking badly of the movers all this time. They actually were quite nice and professional.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:30 PM

567 posts, read 2,037,169 times
I've had good experience with Mayflower twice.

I think the secret is to watch them closely. I wasn't sure what to do when 3 of the movers came to pack us and they split up into different rooms in the house! It felt funny having nothing to do, so I walked from room to room and watched them.

I'd recommend having friends or family over to keep eyes on the entire process from packing to loading, to unloading.

The movers are handling your treasured belongings and will be more conscientious if they are being watched and you shouldn't feel bad at all for keeping an eye on them! I didn't hen peck at them, but I wasn't bashful about pointing out a fragile piece of furniture or an antique.

The result? Two Mayflower moves and not a thing was broken. We were lucky!

Old 01-20-2007, 07:06 PM

207 posts, read 1,043,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin1264 View Post
I'd recommend having friends or family over to keep eyes on the entire process from packing to loading, to unloading.

The movers are handling your treasured belongings and will be more conscientious if they are being watched and you shouldn't feel bad at all for keeping an eye on them!
I'd recommend packing everything yourself and then having friends/family over to assist you in moving. Rent a truck and have your friends/family move you. At the very least have them over to help you pack and then hire a company to move you.

If your belongings are really treasured you wouldn't trust them in the hands of anyone other than your own.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:21 PM

287 posts, read 1,410,302 times
www.pods.com is the way I may go.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:45 PM

567 posts, read 2,037,169 times
Remember the moving companies are not responsible for items that you've packed yourself.

I know hiring a mover is very expensive and the price goes up if you want them to pack.

If doing it yourself (we've done this most recently) - spend the extra money to rent a bigger truck with a ramp and rent the appliance dolley and the padded quilts. Those items make ALL the difference!

We've also had good luck doing it ourselves. If you have someone like my husband who is a good packer, that is an added bonus!

Old 01-20-2007, 08:51 PM

607 posts, read 2,335,111 times
I just had United give us a estimate from San Diego to Raleigh. She came in, and did a really great job. We were showing the house to people in about 15 minutes, so she got all the information, and then she followed us to starbucks and we were able to sit and relax, and she explained everything that was going to happen, I am still in sticker shock, but I really think she was being honest, to a fault and a charming person. I will be getting one more estimate from Mayflower, then I will let you know who I go with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary