Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:25 AM

11 posts, read 61,494 times

Advertisements

Recently I am interested in a house. But the backyard seems to be very steep.

What is the potential drawback of this? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 09:29 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswunc View Post

My house has a steep backyard, and one problem is during heavy rains (we had one a couple of weeks ago), there are are heavy water flows from adjacent properties which funnel through paths on my property and wash out some of the decorative wood chips & mulch we have out. THere's a lit of piping to keep this from happening, but unfortunately it happens in a couple of places. It only happened during the really heavy rainfall we had a couple of weeks ago, not the other moderately heavy rainfalls we've had.

Then there are the obvious problems, like harder to do any planting or gardening, and harder to throw a ball around.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:30 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,150 times
It's certainly not an asset for resale purposes. Many buyers require flat yards.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
It's certainly not an asset for resale purposes. Many buyers require flat yards.
That also makes it an asset for purchase purposes, because you should be able to get it for less.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:32 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswunc View Post

How steep is steep? Is it so steep as to prevent using the yard at all? Will lawn maintenance be difficult?

Potential drawback of a steep lot could be resale potential. If the lot condition is a concern for you, it may very well be a concern to potential buyers in the future. Level lots are very desirable.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:35 AM

18 posts, read 64,210 times
I had a yard like this in my last home and was VERY glad to get rid of it:

1) Rain runoff can cause additional flooding, yard damage. Overtime the runoff carved / eroded into the yard.

2) Mowing was a nightmare. Too steep to push a mower by hand and a riding mower was too dangerous to flip. Also, on the part I was able to mow over some of it was soo steep that the riding mower's breaks couldn't stop it / slow it down coming off the slope!

3) It could also be hard to re-sell the house as the slope could be a deterrent to people moving in due to the challenges mentioned above.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:36 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
That also makes it an asset for purchase purposes, because you should be able to get it for less.
Yes, but if you're selling in a market like the current one I've found that the importance of imperfections gets exaggerated because there's so much to choose from (i.e., in a buyer's market you might take a bigger hit to entice someone who has so much to choose from to overlook your property's flaw). I agree with you, though.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:57 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
Yes, but if you're selling in a market like the current one I've found that the importance of imperfections gets exaggerated because there's so much to choose from (i.e., in a buyer's market you might take a bigger hit to entice someone who has so much to choose from to overlook your property's flaw). I agree with you, though.
Nail hit firmly on head. Don't ever underestimate the importance of the lot. I learned from personal experience that although you may buy the property cheaper, not only will you need to sell for less but a good majority of buyers will simply dismiss the property over a lot issue much quicker than other issues with a home, most of which can be changed/fixed. You can do pretty much anything you want to a house, but the lot is the lot.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRaleighGuy View Post
I had a yard like this in my last home and was VERY glad to get rid of it:

1) Rain runoff can cause additional flooding, yard damage. Overtime the runoff carved / eroded into the yard.

2) Mowing was a nightmare. Too steep to push a mower by hand and a riding mower was too dangerous to flip. Also, on the part I was able to mow over some of it was soo steep that the riding mower's breaks couldn't stop it / slow it down coming off the slope!

3) It could also be hard to re-sell the house as the slope could be a deterrent to people moving in due to the challenges mentioned above.
One important thing that your post raises is just how steep it is. My yard is steep, but I mowed it (once, first time I ever mowed a lawn! How exciting...) without much problem.

My advice is, if you like the house, don't mind the backyard, and can get it at a fair price, do it. Don't get all hung up on resale, because the most important thing is whether you like it, not whether other prospective purchasers will like it.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:22 AM

431 posts, read 1,338,296 times
If you will not need use of the backyard ( such as kids playing) and plan on this home being a long term investment, and you make sure that all the required grading and runoffs are done properly than I don't think its a big deal.

If you have kids or plan on having kids and there is no other flat property for them to play then that is a huge drawback......also if you aren't buying it for the longhaul I would reconsider.....just as others have mentioned.....there are so many homes for sale and that I would think the competition would be tuff and actually in my experience when we were just looking at homes in Clayton we walked away from many beautiful homes that offered no back yard and or a yard that dropped off into no where land......

I just dont understand why the builders dont work the land better before the ybuild on the sites......I know people are buying those homes but I'm sure more would sell if they were flatter w./more use....

Just my opinion.....
good luck with your decision

-Suzanne

Last edited by JimnSue; 07-16-2008 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: omg I can't type today....:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary