Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 12:27 AM

98 posts, read 510,785 times

Advertisements

I'm an aspiring musician, and I've been afraid to sing and play music in public nearly forever. My goal is to be able to become good enough at guitar and to write a song so I can play it at an open mic night a year from now. Its just something I've always wanted to do. Does anybody have any good/cool places to go and do that sort of thing?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 12:29 AM

Oh, and if anybody has any experience doing this sort of scary thing, do you have any advice?

Old 07-20-2008, 01:26 AM

43 posts, read 205,704 times
Default Open Mic

Hi,

From Pittsburgh, currently living in Los Angeles.
My advice: check craigslist for open mic nights in the area. Check them out a few times. Practice some material you think will fit.
Then jump in, learn and have fun.
Repeat as necessary!

Bill

Old 07-20-2008, 06:50 AM

336 posts, read 1,492,488 times
this is a good link to find open mic nights in raleigh.
Raleigh Music.Com - Raleigh Live Music-Durham Live Music-Chapel Hill Live Music-Musicians Meetup, Bands, Classifieds and Music Resources

this is a place in durham that hosts open mic nights and also has great food!
The Broad Street Cafe, Durham NC

the more you do it, the less intimidating it becomes. good luck!!

Old 07-20-2008, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the links! I can't wait to get started!

Old 08-12-2008, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 24,171 times
Default first open mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by somuchbetter View Post
Oh, and if anybody has any experience doing this sort of scary thing, do you have any advice?

Pick your handfull of songs that you plan to play at your first open mic. Practice those songs relentlessly, IN THE ORDER YOU PLAN TO PERFORM THEM.

Even if you plan to sit while you perform, practice while standing up as much as possibe (if that seems silly, try it, then tell me if you don't see a huge improvement when you play while sitting).

Don't over estimate your knowledge of the lyrics. You'll be amazed at what you can forget when it's your time to stand at the mic for the first time!!!

When your big night comes, SMILE. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT GRIMACE OR CALL ATTENTION TO YOUR MISTAKES!!! Cuz you will make mistakes If you are playing your originals, all the better, cuz who the hell is gonna know if you screw up. If you mess something up, just act like you meant it, hell, do it again just because you can

Don't drink alcohol before or during your performance. Lots of people feel this helps with nerves...they are wrong. Booze will just make you forget simple things, will dry out your vocal chords during your performance, and if you drink too much, you might make an ass of yourself.

This is a BIGGY for your first performance...stick to songs that are well within your ability. You don't want to have to work at 95% the entire time. If you can do songs that only take about 60% (or a little higher) of your ability, then you will enjoy yourself much more the first time out.

If you're playing quitar, change your strings the day before.

Pee (in the rest room) before you go on stage.

Here's another BIGGY...don't beat yourself up when you make mistake, because, again, you will make mistakes. Try to line up at least three open mics close to each other, and the difference from the first one to the third will be amazing.

Enjoy yourself, and don't be concerned with what other musicians think.

I hope that helps. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Old 08-12-2008, 03:00 PM

3,999 posts, read 10,804,431 times
To get over the stage fright, keep in mind the vast majority of the audience is not capable of, or too afraid, to do what you are doing.
You should be able to perform open mics w/ no problem after a year assuming the music isn't overly technical to perform. Good luck, and if you have any guitar related questions feel free to message me directly and I will gladly help you.

....and heed everything that RKC posted, great advice!

Old 04-27-2009, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 21,070 times
Just find a local bar like Mickenly's. Oh, do you have a Demo? That's a must, at least if you are trying to get in to a good paying gig. If you would like I can help you w/ the demo. I am Ron Penny, Owner of Absolute Musiq Records. Hit me up if you want the help, good luck w/ your career.

Specializing In: Artist Management & Development, Publishing, Branding & Web Design, Songwriting, Composing, Mixing, and Recording. Contact: [email]Absolutemusiq@Gmail.com[/email]
[url=http://www.MySpace.com/absolutemusiq]Absolute Musiq on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads[/url] -919.760.9600- Clayton, NC 27520

Old 04-27-2009, 01:01 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,903,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somuchbetter View Post
I'm an aspiring musician, and I've been afraid to sing and play music in public nearly forever. My goal is to be able to become good enough at guitar and to write a song so I can play it at an open mic night a year from now. Its just something I've always wanted to do. Does anybody have any good/cool places to go and do that sort of thing?

Thanks!
The Berkeley Cafe in Raleigh used to have these regularly . . . not sure if they still do.

As for advice, have a couple of beers beforehand to relax.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:48 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,194,191 times
Thumbs up Open Mic

I caught an Open Mic at the Amazing Tone Music in the Falls River Shopping Center in North Raleigh last night. Apparently they do an Open Mic every Tuesday evening starting at 8pm. Wide range of experience level. I really enjoyed it and heard some good original stuff. Worth checking out!

Amazing Tone Music In Falls River Shopping Center

Some Shots from the Open Mic

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary