Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 03:39 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In & Out View Post
Yes, Vicki. We play in the winter...OUTSIDE!

Just because it is called winter, does not mean it is actually cold here.

I'm just laughing at the sight of a bunch of people on the tennis courts in January, ice on the trees, playing tennis with gloves on!!!

Kinda like those people that simply MUST RUN while it is pouring rain. I always wonder WHAT are they running FROM?!!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 05:55 PM

551 posts, read 575,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I'm just laughing at the sight of a bunch of people on the tennis courts in January, ice on the trees, playing tennis with gloves on!!!

Kinda like those people that simply MUST RUN while it is pouring rain. I always wonder WHAT are they running FROM?!!

Vicki
You are too funny.

Luckily, I have not seen snow or ice in my 3 years here. I did see some flurries once.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:25 AM

8 posts, read 33,773 times
Default Thanks for all the replies!

It sounds like we'll certainly get in plenty of tennis in the Raleigh area. I saw that Cary tennis center on googlemaps in the satellite view! Now that looks serious!

We have a scouting mission planned to visit communities near Raleigh, Charlotte and Coastal NC. We'll be on the run for a week straight in the middle of August. We're driving a Tahoe down from Long Island and I'm dreading the gas expenses but what can you do?

We'll be the ones with the huge Yankess sticker on the back. (I guess we'll see how friendly North Carolinians really are that way!). I'm considering placing a small Panthers logo underneath to soften the obnoxiousness of it

Old 07-31-2008, 12:15 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
I play 4-5 days a week one of those days being on Sunday. I have been rained out about 10 times total in the year and a half I have been playing here. Snow never. It rained last Sunday for about 30 minutes but it was so warm we were able to go back out on the courts after our 30 minute "beer break" without even having to squeegie the courts. The only issue I have recently found to be annoying is the bugs during night play. SPecifically the little gnats. UGH! You can wear warm gear for the winter and drink lots of gatorade in the summer and you are good to go!

Old 07-31-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I have friends that are avid tennis players. During the summer, they do try to play earlier in the day, before the humidity gets too high.

Do people play tennis in January? How do you do that? With gloves and coats?!!

I believe Raleigh Racquet Club has indoor tennis courts.

Vicki
LOL Vicki! All of the major sports brands like Adidas and Nike make some great cold weather gear. Special tights to go under our cute skirts in the winter (because lets face it half the fun is the fashion) and several of the woman I play with have special gloves they wear by underarmor. At REI you can even buy these things called ear saks. They are little fleece covers for your ears. You can't even tell they are on We played straight through the Winter without even a pause.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:50 PM

478 posts, read 2,045,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In & Out View Post
You are in luck. First, we got accustomed to heat & humidity really quick. We really do not have a problem enjoying outside anytime of the year.
How do you know OP is 'in luck'? Do you know how easily heat stroke happens in the Triangle, and most are unaware of the symptoms?

Further, we have lots of code orange days and even some code red days recently. No one is 'in luck' with this kind of health hazard.

At a minimum, heat and humidity make for reduced physical capacity in most individuals, and even in elite athletes, significant plans are put in place to reduce risk of physical compromise.

Glad you're outside 'anytime of the year'. Even in lightening? Orange 'ozone' days? Pouring rain sounds like it's no problem, eh? Greensboro, NC recently rated as second WORST place in the entire nation for environmental allergies. Triangle is not that far away, nor that different in environment. Many people are not 'in luck' in this place of America.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
How do you know OP is 'in luck'? Do you know how easily heat stroke happens in the Triangle, and most are unaware of the symptoms?

Further, we have lots of code orange days and even some code red days recently. No one is 'in luck' with this kind of health hazard.

At a minimum, heat and humidity make for reduced physical capacity in most individuals, and even in elite athletes, significant plans are put in place to reduce risk of physical compromise.

Glad you're outside 'anytime of the year'. Even in lightening? Orange 'ozone' days? Pouring rain sounds like it's no problem, eh? Greensboro, NC recently rated as second WORST place in the entire nation for environmental allergies. Triangle is not that far away, nor that different in environment. Many people are not 'in luck' in this place of America.
Is the cup really half empty? I would say that in comparison to the north east you probably get much more OUT door tennis time here in NC than there during the Winter months. Compared to the North West you probably get much more tennis time OUTdoors here than there all year long due to the rain. Northern Midwest, again you have the snow during winter so proabably safe to say once again you don't get a whole lot of OUT door tennis time in that region in the winter months. Since that adds up to about 1/2 the nation I would choose to think we are in luck here. My glass is usually half full

Old 07-31-2008, 02:21 PM

836 posts, read 3,468,894 times
Wow, really, lets look on the bright side....it is beautiful here WAY more than the conditions are bad. I having been playing tennis lots this week, although the temps and humidity are really high right now. I just remember to drink plenty BEFORE AND DURING play and try to play early in the morning before it gets too bad. My kids have been giong to half day tennis camp this week and are loving it...they just keep the kids hydrated. Common sense is the answer to most issues, of course.

In the winter, except for rain and the occasional snow (it didn't snow at all last year, that I can recall) you can play any time. I have some tight cotton grippy gloves that I got at Omega sports that work great for REALLY cold days. I think they are runners gloves. I know some people use golf gloves, but I find them too cumbersome...I can't feel my racket. I do remember playing a couple times this winter when it was so cold the balls were falling like bricks! We kept thinking they were dead and then the pro said...."its the cold"! We just hit them harder! Again...common sense will tell you to stretch and warm up more in the winter.

My husband plays some at Millbrook and know they have great leagues there. We belong to the NCSU University Club, though, and they have great clay courts and a pro who is a GREAT.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:04 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,692,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerer2 View Post
It sounds like we'll certainly get in plenty of tennis in the Raleigh area. I saw that Cary tennis center on googlemaps in the satellite view! Now that looks serious!

We have a scouting mission planned to visit communities near Raleigh, Charlotte and Coastal NC. We'll be on the run for a week straight in the middle of August. We're driving a Tahoe down from Long Island and I'm dreading the gas expenses but what can you do?

We'll be the ones with the huge Yankess sticker on the back. (I guess we'll see how friendly North Carolinians really are that way!). I'm considering placing a small Panthers logo underneath to soften the obnoxiousness of it
You'll probably actually see quite a few cars with huge Yankees stickers

Old 08-01-2008, 08:41 AM

27 posts, read 117,934 times
Don't worry, OP, I rarely miss a day on the courts. And I'm from here and don't like cold weather.

We rarely have a day that's too hot to play at 7 a.m., too cold to play at noon, and even when it rains, it doesn't often last the entire day or anything like that.

There are tons of nice courts and great leagues to join.

Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary