Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:01 AM

551 posts, read 575,336 times

Advertisements

OK, here is the deal. I have no clue how to start a poll. I searched and could not figure it out. So I am hoping one of the mod's can change this into a poll for me, with radio buttons. I would like it to be the following double poll:

For the Triangle area only:

What is your annual household income:
  • Less than 50k
  • 50k to 75k
  • 75k to 100k
  • 100k to 125k
  • More than 125k
I would like to link this with, what town do you live in:
  • Cary
  • Raleigh
  • Durham
  • Apex
  • Chapel Hill
  • WF
  • HS
  • FV
  • Clayton
  • Carrboro
  • Garner
  • Other
No names need to be included. This is NOT meant to identify the income or residence of any particluar person(s). The purpose of the poll would be to enlighten people, especially those thinking of moving to the area, of what income is normal here for each town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 09:01 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
The information you are trying to collect is already available on the city data site and is likely to be more representative of the towns in question than the self selected small sample sizes you would garner by a poll....

Old 07-20-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
The information you are trying to collect is already available on the city data site and is likely to be more representative of the towns in question than the self selected small sample sizes you would garner by a poll....

I thought it would be interesting to poll our local C-D members instead.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:18 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Why don't you go first?

Old 07-20-2008, 12:08 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,446 times
I&O, I'm afraid this doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

You say you want people to see what "normal" income is for each town. Yet we aren't a normal sample of the population.

I'd daresay that none of our responses would provide an accurate take on what "normal" income is within the towns. C-D's town guides provide that information...

...though I'm certainly curious whether there's a theory you're looking to prove or disprove?

Old 07-20-2008, 12:41 PM

167 posts, read 566,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
I&O, I'm afraid this doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

You say you want people to see what "normal" income is for each town. Yet we aren't a normal sample of the population.

I'd daresay that none of our responses would provide an accurate take on what "normal" income is within the towns. C-D's town guides provide that information...

...though I'm certainly curious whether there's a theory you're looking to prove or disprove?
I agree. I think C-D users would not represent the lower incomes of a given a town (except maybe us recent college grads still trying to find our "paths" and for what a bachelor of arts in physics and english actually qualifies you).

Old 07-20-2008, 01:51 PM

831 posts, read 1,964,679 times
It's also available on e-podunk.com. Very interesting site.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:53 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,656,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Why don't you go first?
Yeah that! LOL!

Old 07-20-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post

Not so much a theory, but I think something that can be helpful. In my time watching and participating on this forum, it is clear that people have certain perceptions. Perceptions of places they know and ones they do not know. Much of the information here is correct, yet much is fiction spread through the guess work on the rumor mill train. A couple of the common things that come up, that I believe to be inaccurate, are how much income do I need to live here and the perception about "other" towns elitism. As we all are the ones speaking correctly or incorrectly, I think an anonymous poll by the ones that are speaking can be a good tool. It might show that maybe most of us are at one extreme of the economic scale that does not represent the entire community, thus making some think twice about what they hear. Or maybe most of us don't live in one town or another, thus skewing thoughts of certain towns. I just think it would be an interesting experiment to see where "we" land compared to the average.

We are in Cary. Our household income lands in the $75k to $100k range, so we are below the median income stated on the stats page, yet live a good life. Now someone looking just at the stat page may say "wow, if I don't make $X, then I can't live in Cary", and that would not be true. Also, maybe if Chapel Hill is constantly being talked up, but then we find that 80% of the people live in Chapel Hill, that would also be an interesting piece of info.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:07 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
I make around 8 million dollars a year selling belly button lint and earwax. With the recent slowdown in the economy my sales have decreased a bit so I have turned to raising and selling Alpacas.

I live in a van down by the river.

For Sale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary