Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,550 times

Advertisements

NEW TO AREA....ANY SUGGESTIONS....BIKIKG DISTANCE WOULD BE IDEAL...STAN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 05:14 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,703,450 times
IBM has some temporary apartments right off the campus for new/visiting employees - if you work for IBM, you may want to ask the site management about them.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:03 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,001 times
The absolute closest is Edinborough at the Park. This is located at I-40 and S. Miami Blvd. Depending on which IBM complex you are working in, you are anywhere from 1/2 mile to 2 miles door-to-door.

However, there is absolutely nothing to do in this part of the Triangle after your work shift ends. Something a little closer to civilization may make more sense. For instance, you could live near Briar Creek and be within 6-8 miles of IBM while avoiding riding down TW Alexandar (which I would not suggest doing). There will be (sometimes heavy) traffic as you ride to/from work, but assuming you would be OK with that.

There are likewise other choices that I'm not as familiar with, such as Morrisville and maybe parts of Durham, that would probably be a reasonable bike commute. Hopefully others will offer some additional suggestions.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:15 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,833 times
There's also apartments at Southern Oaks (corner of Davis and Hopson, part of the Davis Park development.) I don't know that I'd suggest biking down Davis Dr. to work necessarily; the RTP greenway trails cover some of the distance but not all. You might want to check with the Research Triangle Foundation and look at their RTP trail maps. Bike lanes are present on Cornwallis I believe but are not universal on RTP roads. Really much will depend on your comfort level at biking on city streets.

I would suggest checking out BPAC | Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Commission of Durham, NC and subscribing to the Durham bike/ped mailing list; many bike commuters including a number of RTP ones subscribe and could give you the best advice.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:49 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
That email mailing list is very good for getting info.

When the Davis Dr construction is done, I believe it will have Wide Outside Lanes, which should make it much safer for bikes. Drivers are pretty used to cyclists along Davis, so it isn't as terrible as it might at first appear. I still try to time my ride home so as not to hit it when it is backed up around Morrisville because I don't like breathing fumes (I'm only on Davis from Little to Breckenridge).

I have friends at Davis Park and while close to work, is not convenient to anything else right now. Morrisville and Cary (near Preston) have a lot more going on. There are several apartments in that area.

There is also a really nice looking new apartment complex at Kit Creek Rd and 55, but like Davis Park there is not much else in the area right now (but that will change very quickly over the next 2 years).

My bike commute takes me Louis Stephens -> Koppers -> Mcrimmon -> Davis -> Little -> Louis Stephens -> Hopson -> Alexander ->54 (it sounds like a lot of roads, but most are just name changes). It is around 8 miles and a leisurely 25 minutes. Eventually Louis Stephens will connect all the way and make it a breeze (and shave at least a mile off it). But I may try going Davis most of the way after the construction is done.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:34 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,395,888 times
There a few complexes at the intersection of TW Alexander Dr and Page Rd. That's approximately two miles from IBM's back entrance on Alexander.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:04 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,054 times
You'd be within minutes of SW Durham by Southpoint (lots of shopping and neighborhoods) or Morrisville and Cary in another direction with the same...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary