U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 07:34 PM

528 posts, read 1,407,081 times

Advertisements

We're relocating to NC within the next year. We like the look and feel (from what we know) of the Carrboro/Chapel Hill area, but we know that in other areas we can get a bit more home for the money. My question is, knowing that we like the Carrboro/Chapel Hill area, what would be the next closest option to these areas in the triangle area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 07:38 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,696,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
We're relocating to NC within the next year. We like the look and feel (from what we know) of the Carrboro/Chapel Hill area, but we know that in other areas we can get a bit more home for the money. My question is, knowing that we like the Carrboro/Chapel Hill area, what would be the next closest option to these areas in the triangle area?
Probably parts of Durham (near downtown, some South Durham areas), followed by inside-the-beltline Raleigh.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:39 PM

159 posts, read 585,159 times
What is it you like about Chapel Hill/Carrboro? Is it all the trees? The older homes? The crunchy feel (especially Carrboro)? The intellectual atmosphere? The great schools? The small town feel? Having things within walking distance (would apply to some areas of both towns)?

I think we'll be able to help you better if we know what Chapel Hill/Carrboro mean to you.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:42 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,618,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperanza27713 View Post
What is it you like about Chapel Hill/Carrboro? Is it all the trees? The older homes? The crunchy feel (especially Carrboro)? The intellectual atmosphere? The great schools? The small town feel? Having things within walking distance (would apply to some areas of both towns)?

I think we'll be able to help you better if we know what Chapel Hill/Carrboro mean to you.
The pale blue firetrucks?

Old 07-20-2008, 08:03 PM

"pale blue firetrucks" - Not every town can pull that off, that's for sure!

Old 07-20-2008, 08:05 PM

8,269 posts, read 24,100,562 times
Parts of Durham, maybe the 5 Points area in Raleigh or Hillsborough!

Old 07-20-2008, 08:14 PM

Found this from shoes4birds on another post - thought it might be helpful to know what caught the eye in Carrboro -

Quote:
We've just started looking at the Carrboro area and love what we see of it...I'm posting here to see if what I understand about the area is correct. From what I understand...

*It's a very diverse area
*Nice restaurants
*Nice schools (not part of WCPSS)
*Decent nightlife

Is it affordable for housing? We have 2 kids (ages 2 and 4) and we're looking to spend between 300-400K for a home. Are there nice restaurants? We don't want to be in an area where there are a ton of chain restaurants that are considered the best in the area. Although we are family-oriented, we like our nightlife too and would like to meet other couples who are interested in the same (family plus some fun with other couples at night). We don't mind suburbs as long as it has character to it and isn't completely cookie-cutter.
I have to say, the nightlife part stymied me. I can think of areas that are similar to the other things you mention, but I'm not sure about nightlife. Take that out and I think Hillsborough and some parts of Durham. Chatham County is also up and coming, I think, and it's gorgeous, but a lot more rural than the others. (Nightlife and restaurants are not plentiful in Chatham County, but the natives will know better.)

Old 07-20-2008, 08:43 PM

551 posts, read 525,133 times
cary!

Old 07-20-2008, 09:42 PM

8,269 posts, read 24,100,562 times
LOL, definitely not Cary! (and I live there!)

Old 07-20-2008, 09:53 PM

13,538 posts, read 12,455,633 times
If not CH/Carrboro then yes, inside the Beltline in Raleigh and maybe around the Cameron Village area in Raleigh since you get lots of stores and NCSU fairly close, with a ton of restaurants there. That also puts you in close proximity of Raleigh nightlife activities off of Glenwood Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary