Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 08:27 AM

355 posts, read 1,503,029 times

Advertisements

Southward Bound, it is the Guglhupf Bakery in Durham.

Guglhupf Bakery & Pâtisserie - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 03:37 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkal View Post
Southward Bound, it is the Guglhupf Bakery in Durham.

Guglhupf Bakery & Pâtisserie - Home

thank you!

Old 11-14-2008, 04:11 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Well, GREAT news. I've been watching the location, keeping an eye on it whenever I was in the area to see when the new bakery would open its doors. It took a while, but now there's a brand new bakery and cafe:

Soho Bakery & Cafe' "bringing you the freshes product, all bread and bagels baked fresh daily".
My wife and I went to the new SoHo Bakery last Sunday. I have to say it was much better than its predecessor. The staff is much friendlier and the egg and cheese bagel I got was pretty darn good. The deserts and cookies looked excellent. It seemed fairly busy while we were there. I'm not a huge fan of the location because they are kind of hidden and don't get good exposure to the street. I think that makes generating traffic in the shop a bit of a challenge. Still, I hope it is a big success.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:17 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
My wife and I went to the new SoHo Bakery last Sunday. I have to say it was much better than its predecessor. The staff is much friendlier and the egg and cheese bagel I got was pretty darn good. The deserts and cookies looked excellent. It seemed fairly busy while we were there. I'm not a huge fan of the location because they are kind of hidden and don't get good exposure to the street. I think that makes generating traffic in the shop a bit of a challenge. Still, I hope it is a big success.
Good to hear that about the egg and cheese bagel. I've been planning to try one myself!

Old 11-29-2008, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 8,032 times
Hey guys,
I just recently bought a birthday cake. It was amazing.
The chocolate mousse was fantastic Im so happy to finally
see a good bakery around here. Especially, the deli side its
fantastic, fresh meat on the panini. i feel like im in New York.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:22 AM

4 posts, read 26,897 times
Default I must have gone on a bad day......

I tried their Tiramisu and it was horrible. The "cream" tasted like crisco with espresso mixed in. Maybe I just caught them on a bad day.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,060 times
Default soho

I hate to tell you the soho bakery is still Manhattan bakery... Mac the owner just finally found someone who knows how to run the place. I worked there for almost 2 years on and off and the place was horrible...the cleanliness was horrid. I finally quit because I got tired of decieving customers. It started out great but mac has a temper and I hate to say it but he will go through managers and staff like crazy and it will just end up being what it was before. I will say beware of the creams and beware of the cakes. They are left in the display case for weeks on end and if there is mold they scrape it off and put it back in. I also know the chocolate was molded a few times and I secretly threw it out. When Mac opened Manhattan bakery it started out Great too and then went down hill because mac cannot get along with anyone and let them run the place! But I say it may be safe for now but eat at your own risk!

Old 12-08-2008, 01:26 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,526 times
Buy their Kaiser Rolls and fresh bread and its very good. Beats any you buy in the local grocery stores. IMO.

Can't say anything about the pastries as never bought those from there.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:46 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,939,331 times
Yes it still does have the same owner just with a new business partner. I tried it out a few weeks ago hoping it might be a little better this time around but was disappointed. First there was water leaking all over the floor and no one was doing anything about it (we're talking puddles not just a little water). It took forever to have 2 sandwiches made. The guy dropped one on the ground and thankfully we saw it happen since they do at least make the sandwiches in front so you can see. With the way things were running that day if it had happened in the back one would never know what would have happened to THAT sandwich

Old 12-14-2008, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,944 times
I got a job at this bakery a few weeks ago and my first two days scared the absolute **** out of me.

1. On my first day they had me baking by myself without help from anyone. They had to clear a workspace for me and i had to share one mixer all day long. So here I am baking from my recipes because I don't know what else to do, I don't know where ANYTHING is and they only had one measuring cup. (1/2 cup).

2. On my first day a lady comes in the bakery and wants a traditional pound cake with buttercream icing. So I make it and then I realize that they don't have any tools to decorate with. I had to make due with parchment paper and turn them into "bags". Lucky for me the lady only wanted balloons.

3. Like I mentioned above, serious lack of cake decorating supplies. In the back they have some plastic crap that I'm assuming they "decorate" cakes with. You know like the stuff they put on cupcakes and cakes at wal-mart and food lion?

4. I was asked to do a wedding cake and had to bring my "survival kit" in order to get it done. OF course when I came to work to decorate it, there was no work space for me so I spent about an hour with my thumb up my ass trying to get set up. Meanwhile Mac here is complaining about how slow people are. He told me I decorated the cake fast and I was amazed since I usually decorate a LOT quicker as I'm usually more organized. It helps when you have a work space.

5. All the cakes, icing and fillings come from a mix or bucket.

6. Mac made me feel uncomfortable when he said, "I never sold a lot of wedding cakes before but now since all the lesbians and ******s are getting married, i sell more! Then he and the other cake decorator go off on a religious rant.

There was no way in hell I was giving up my cake secrets for 11 bucks an hour while listening to biggitory comments.

On a positive note, I thought they had a great selection of cookies and bread and the food looked great! The kitchen isn't that dirty but it is still new. Rick and the other dude that work up front are very nice. So are the owner's daughters.

If someone had the time and patience to work with Mac and put together some gourmet cakes that place would be banging! I just could not deal with it.

Last edited by Cake Girl; 12-14-2008 at 10:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary